Notices

sti lights onto MY02 ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2002, 05:43 PM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any one produced some sort of loom / conversion kit yet ?

(I remember reading that you can't just swap 'em as the looms are different?)

Any one got around this?
Old 26 October 2002, 10:02 AM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

some one must have done this ????
Old 26 October 2002, 12:24 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

There are people who have done this. Physically the lights fit straight in. Electrical connectors are completely different.

Creating a conversion loom for the lights is not difficult if you
can source the necessary connectors from somewhere (Subaru dealer perhaps ?). Some wire and maybe an extra relay/diode and you should be all set.

Creating a conversion loom for the height adjuster is much trickier because the WRX adjuster connector only has 3 pins and the STi lights have 6. One option would be fitting the STi adjuster switch and extra wiring needed. Another way would be to make some kind of converter box. However, to be able to make this converter box you would need to know how both WRX and STi adjusters work which means access to wiring diagrams of both models and maybe doing some kind of measurements on both types of cars.

As far as I know people just leave the adjusters unconnected. The problem is that the adjuster is mandatory (legal requirement) and can probably be a reason for MOT failure.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an auto electrician and have no idea how strict the MOT test in UK is...)
Old 27 October 2002, 10:24 AM
Baby Blue
Scooby Regular

The necessary wiring loom is for sale for £20 I think in the Scooby Shop - ScoobySport or Scooby Mania?

BB
Old 28 October 2002, 10:59 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

BB, are you sure that's not a driving light loom you're thinking of.

Jah, have you had your fitted yet, you were waiting on a connector from your dealer?
Old 28 October 2002, 07:27 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

I also think the kit in the shop section is for fitting driving lights to STi, not STi lights to WRX.

Boultsy, I'm still waiting. But I'm not in a hurry as I haven't paid anything yet.

I found a wiring diagram for the STi leveler on i-club. That seems to be just a 4-way switch as opposed to the WRX potentiometer thing. I did actually take the WRX switch apart to see what is inside and measured it with a multimeter. It is just a variable resistor between two of the pins. Unfortunately I have lost my notes about the resistance in different switch positions. Must be somewhere on my very cluttered desk...

It is possible to convert this kind of resistor signal to 4 on/off pins with a comparator IC (such as LM3914). These chips are low cost and available from most general purpose electronics outlets. This would be a DIY mod once someone develops a suitable schematic for the IC and the few extra components it needs.

Or you could buy the STi adjuster switch and necessary wiring but that would be too easy.
Old 28 October 2002, 07:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

I bl**dy knew the Dutch were clever....................
Alcazar:
Old 28 October 2002, 07:58 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

I found my WRX switch autopsy notes. They were indeed on my very cluttered desk.

There are 4 pins on the switch connector. The resistor is between pins 1 and 2. The switch light bulb is between pins 3 and 4. So which one is pin 1 then ? I have no idea how they should be counted but in my counting the colors of the wires connecting to the switch are 1=blue/red, 2=white/blue, 3=purple, 4=black.

The resistance between pins 1 and 2 corresponding to switch position is 0=2700 ohms, 1=750 ohms, 2=120 ohms, 3=1 ohm.

Alcazar: Sorry to disappoint you but I'm actually Finnish, not Dutch. I guess I will now start getting "bl**dy foreigner" abuse from the locals.
Old 30 October 2002, 10:58 PM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

so... in plain english,

no one has really sussed it unless they're some sort of auto eleccy boff.

appreciate response anyhow