Notices

Sigma Alarm A Pillar removal

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2020, 11:04 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Sigma Alarm A Pillar removal

Can I cut the Sigma Alarm wire to remove the A Pillar? Will it still work if I solder the wire back together again?
Old 26 August 2020, 11:11 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Can't you just remove the sensors after pulling the trim away? Certainly can on my Bug.
Old 26 August 2020, 11:30 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

This is on a Bug. The hole is only big enough for the wire. So I either have to cut the sensor off or cut the wire.
Old 26 August 2020, 11:32 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Ah it must be different for some Bug's then as mine was screwed in at the very top of the trim. Sounds like you've got the style that comes through in the middle of the trim and is kind of circular like on my Hawk?
Old 26 August 2020, 11:47 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Yeah in the middle. They have either pushed the wire in from the back and soldered the sensor on or pushed the wire on from the front with the sensor connected. Only option is to cut the wire I guess although I read that the wire is shielded and may not work if you rejoin it?
Old 26 August 2020, 11:51 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Cant you just trace the wire to the control box and "unplug" it and do it properly, rather than some cut and bodge?
Old 26 August 2020, 11:53 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

They probably pushed the whole wire through then ran it through the car to the box as it has an actual connection inside. I hope it'll still work after being re soldered as I had to cut some wires at a different point to get the loom and alarm out of the car but I'm no where near the stage of putting it all back in. I'm at least in the situation where I'll just get a newer and better alarm fitted if it doesn't work when it's refitted but that doesn't help you. Hopefully Don will be along soon with the answer as usual...
Old 26 August 2020, 11:55 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I'd be surprised if it was plugged in rather than hard wired to the control box. Any idea where the box is?
Old 26 August 2020, 11:56 AM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Box is on the outside of the car underneath the windscreen scuttle.

EDIT - Actually wait, no it's not, that's another box to do with the alarm. There's another box hiding under the dash. I've seen them behind the glovebox and behind the speedo depending on the car.

Last edited by RockyRoad; 26 August 2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 26 August 2020, 12:27 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

I'm just stripping my Bug of useful parts before I scrap it. At some point I hope to build some proper integrated speaker pods in the pillars. Until then I guess the wiring is not too important. The alarm is only good for telling me the battery is flat anyway!
Old 26 August 2020, 12:49 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Yes they plug into the control unit

But even the connector plug maybe too big to go through the hole.
"I believe" from below that the connector is "de-pinned" so that the wire can be passed through the holes in the trim.

From a Sigma Sam post on SIDC
In answer to your questions:

1 - How do you secure the keypad bracket into the coin holder/box?

The keypad bracket should have two holes in either "leg". At the import centre they,ffit spire clips to these and have a template to drill a hole in either side of the coin box for the securing screws. Alternatively hold the bracket in place and drill directly througt either side of the coinbox and bracket, avoiding the holes in the legs and secure with self tapers. Don't forget to drill a larger hole at the rear of the coin box for the keypad connector to exit the coinbox.

2 - Where exactly on the 'A' pillar trim do you mount the sensor heads? In an earlier post you mentioned that these trims have a reinforced part on the reverse specifically for the mounting screw - I have purchased new trims from Subaru but there is nothing obvious on the reverse side.

There should be two parralel ribs on the rear of each trim, approximately level with the top of the door mirrors. There should also be two small indents, one between the ribs (that secures the head to the trim using the central hole in the base plate) and a second for the ultrasonic cable to pass through.

Drill a 2.5 mm hole between the ribs and a 4mm hole to thread the sonic cable through.

Dont forget to thread the terminals of the ultrasonics through the slot in the lower housing, then through the offset hole in the base plate, then through the hole in the trim before pushing the pins into the connectors.

Note the orientation of the coloured wires in the connectors on your existing sensors.

3 - Do I have to drill a hole in the trim to bring the wires through and into the sensor housing or should they come around the side of the trim?

The UK vehicles have a hole drilled so that the cable is not visible, as detailed above.

4 - If I was to disassemble the original Sigma ultrasonic heads, are the actual sensors the same as the ones that come in the kit from Subaru?

They are the same heads, however, the cables are attached to the heads differently and the standard heads will be a struggle to fit in the smaller round housings. Besides this, you would need to de-pin the connectors to thread the cables through the trim.

5 - Will I need to adjust sensitivity of the sensors given they will be in a different position (currently at the top of the 'A' pillar trims)?

The sonic sensitivity will should not need to be adjusted due to the head re-location as the internal volume remains the same, however, as the system was an aftermarket fit, it may be worth setting the sensitivity correctly for the vehicle incas it was left at the standard factory setting at installation.

The following sequence sets the sensitivity to the correct level.

- Arm then disarm the system, then enter the following sequence into the keypad:

- *17856*20*55#

6 - Finally, do you have any advice on orientation of the sensors once they're in their new 'Type UK' mounting position?

If you use the indents on the rear of the trim for the hole locations then these align the heads vertically with the centre of the rear window. Do not fully tighten the mounting screw (that bpasses through the slot in the lower housing and then the centre of the base plate) until the housing and head are alligned with the centre of the rear window, then tighten the screw up enough to allow adjustment once the upper housing is cliped into place over the head.

All the best,

Ian
Old 26 August 2020, 12:52 PM
RockyRoad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
I'm just stripping my Bug of useful parts before I scrap it. At some point I hope to build some proper integrated speaker pods in the pillars. Until then I guess the wiring is not too important. The alarm is only good for telling me the battery is flat anyway!
In that case I say just cut the buggers! The wiring is a pain to trace even with the car fully stripped. Shame about another Bug dying
Old 26 August 2020, 01:26 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
Yes they plug into the control unit

But even the connector plug maybe too big to go through the hole.
"I believe" from below that the connector is "de-pinned" so that the wire can be passed through the holes in the trim.

From a Sigma Sam post on SIDC
That makes sense. I figure that I'll want to move the sensors anyway if I build the pillars as I'd want the tweeters to go where the sensors currently are.
Old 26 August 2020, 01:32 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RockyRoad
In that case I say just cut the buggers! The wiring is a pain to trace even with the car fully stripped. Shame about another Bug dying
The Bug isn't dead, it's just being recycled. Runs fine but it's done 178k and the arches are rotten. Doubt it will get through another MoT. Besides, I want to take the whole front end off and fit it to my Blob. It's already donated it's seats and centre drinks holder. I'm just stripping out anything that may be useful or is preferable to what's fitted to my Blob (like the seats and drinks holder). Then I'll scrap it - unless anyone wants to take it away but I can't imagine the mechanicals are particularly desirable.

My Blob is going to end up a Hybrid of about 4 different models across 5 years
The following users liked this post: