Notices

2003 STi - battery drain

Old 31 July 2017, 09:45 PM
mr2nut123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 STi - battery drain

On the odd occasion, my battery would randomly fully drain. I replaced with a new Bosch one, and the same thing happened a few months after. I thought it was the dormant cat5 tracker so I had it removed.

Things were fine for a few weeks, then wham. Overnight, out of nowhere, full drained (~3.4v left).

Since I've had the car, sometimes the rear driver's door didn't always lock. It made a louder noise than the other doors and sounded like it was struggling. It locked about 70-80% of the time.

I just had a meter on the battery after a full charge, and could see it drop from 12.4v to 12.1 within just 5 minutes!!

I removed the 15amp central locking fuse (number 3) from under the dash and touch wood, the voltage has remained stable.

Is this a simple case of replacing the door locking module? Perhaps it's sticking and then just pulling current even if it locks successfully?
Old 01 August 2017, 07:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Probably, yes.
Old 02 August 2017, 11:56 PM
mr2nut123
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Voltage still stable at around 12.45v each morning, down from 12.6ish when getting home. Looks like it's to do with that lock.

Are they solenoid based? Is it possible for it to get stuck most of the way over, just enough to lock the door but still constantly pull current?

Not sure whether it's just a case of greasing bits or if I need a new lock. It definitely makes a loud grinding noise sometimes, other times it's quiet like this front one when it locks first time.

Search this Thread