Notices

JDM Folding Mirrors Diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2015, 08:33 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDM Folding Mirrors Diagram?

Hello, is there a diagram for the JDM folding mirrors hanging around? I googled a few pages, but because there were old posts the pictures were missing.

I want to wire some folding mirrors in my classic but I have no diagram what so ever.

Kind Regards.

Edit: I do have the mirrors + switch. so that should make it easier as there is no need for relays.

Last edited by gaborpapp; 08 April 2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09 April 2015, 02:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's actually quite simple.

There are two wires EXTRA coming from the switch. Lets call them A and B.

If current flows A >> B, the mirrors do one thing, (open, for example).
If current flows B >> A, they do the opposite.

So........take two wires from the switch, split into two pairs, so as to have an A and a B going to each mirror.

connect them temporarily to the two EXTRA terminals at the mirrors, operate switch, note what happens.
If ONE mirror opens and the other closes, reverse one pair. (Obviously, the one going the wrong way from what the switch says.

If BOTH close, when they should open, or vice-versa, reverse both pairs.

Once you have got them doing as they should, mark the wires so as to get them back the same, then hide the wiring and remake the connections. Preferably by soldering and shrink wrap tubing.

When I did mine, I got hold of some spare pins/connectors, for each connector block not having enough, two large for the switch connector, four small off the door/mirror connectors. They came off a scrapped Leggy for pennies. Then I soldered 150mm wires to each, leaving them long enough to make soldered/wrapped connections later.

Done.
Old 09 April 2015, 07:59 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Nailed it mate, as laymen as you can get excellent
Old 09 April 2015, 08:35 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of my folding mirrors seems to have come away from the folding mechanism and flaps loosely, I'm hoping it just needs something like a ball joint popped back together, anyone had one apart and know what it could be?
Old 09 April 2015, 09:30 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

@Skoobie I have no idea. First time i even seen the folding mirrors myself.

@alcazar - I had a go today. spot on it was like you said. I have managed to get them open and close using the switch that came with them. I still haven't debugged what kind of signal it gives to it, as I tried measuring it, with the multimeter probe 1 connected to the car ground, and the otherone to one of the pins. Seemed like nothing happened, no voltage which i found weird. truth is i only tested out 1 pin, then i got going with the work as I started mounting them at 6pm.

I would have liked to wire them trough the ignition or the alarm system, so they open and close when you either turn key on, or lock/unlock the car.

I must say I am impressed... I seen my friends evo 8 with jdm mirrors and his mirrors sound like there is some tiny motor fighting for his life, while these ones, are made out of aluminum and are quieter than on my 10 plate mercedes. Amazing.
Old 12 April 2015, 04:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I still haven't debugged what kind of signal it gives to it, as I tried measuring it, with the multimeter probe 1 connected to the car ground, and the otherone to one of the pins. Seemed like nothing happened, no voltage which i found weird. truth is i only tested out 1 pin, then i got going with the work as I started mounting them at 6pm.
It's just a closed loop, in which current can flow DOWN wire A and back up wire B, or the reverse.

Testing either pin against ground won't give any significcant output.
Old 18 October 2016, 07:28 AM
WelDun1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
It's actually quite simple.

There are two wires EXTRA coming from the switch. Lets call them A and B.

If current flows A >> B, the mirrors do one thing, (open, for example).
If current flows B >> A, they do the opposite.

So........take two wires from the switch, split into two pairs, so as to have an A and a B going to each mirror.

connect them temporarily to the two EXTRA terminals at the mirrors, operate switch, note what happens.
If ONE mirror opens and the other closes, reverse one pair. (Obviously, the one going the wrong way from what the switch says.

If BOTH close, when they should open, or vice-versa, reverse both pairs.

Once you have got them doing as they should, mark the wires so as to get them back the same, then hide the wiring and remake the connections. Preferably by soldering and shrink wrap tubing.

When I did mine, I got hold of some spare pins/connectors, for each connector block not having enough, two large for the switch connector, four small off the door/mirror connectors. They came off a scrapped Leggy for pennies. Then I soldered 150mm wires to each, leaving them long enough to make soldered/wrapped connections later.

Done.

The problem i have is that i do Not have a Door harness. So i found one to a different year GC8 and stripped it down to just the mirror harness. Now the problem is that the Connector doesnt match up to My Ver5 Type-R Harness. So... I figured out which wire was which on the Ver5 harness, and cut the Mirror wires free of the connector. The only wire that wasnt there was the DOWN wire. I connected a temp [jumper] wire to the OPEN wire, and while hitting the switch i put it in each Pole on the Mirror harness, but nothing happened. I know for a fact that the wire is getting power as i hit the switch, but when its connected to the mirror harness, nothing happens. does the Mirror side of the harness have a ground? If so which one is it? I noticed that TWO wires that come out of the mirror(Green, Black) go to the same Pole on the connector. Why?
I can send pics if it helps