Notices

Irish Car Rental

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2001, 01:34 AM
Yotsuya
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a question about renting a car in Ireland. Unlike when I worked in Dublin for a time two years ago and could rent a Fiesta on the weekends, This time I am coming with two friends and will need a car with more power and size, as we will esentially be living in it for two weeks. What companies around Dublin could rent me something the size of a Mondeo (about as large as I would feel comfortable driving on many secondar roads) but with one of the larger engines offered? I of course would prefer an Impreza, though I doubt any companies would rent one for less than a small fortune, and my own seems to have the steering wheel on the wrong side in addition to its location relative to a certain ocean.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 20 October 2001, 02:08 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bring yer own one m8. Everyone over here drives in the middle of the road, so there is no reason you can't do the same
Old 20 October 2001, 03:25 AM
jon44w
Scooby Regular

Talking

you live near soldier field stadium?, i know it well. we ( the 49ers ) like it there
Old 23 October 2001, 08:49 PM
steve_d
Scooby Regular

My wife and I rented an Astra 1.4L...it was great. 4 doors, stiff like a BMW 318. Nice car, plenty of power...

Airborne twice going up the sky road outside clifden..

sjd
Old 23 October 2001, 10:06 PM
Sul
Scooby Regular

Hi Steve..

Did you say "Astra 1.4" then go on to say "plenty of power" ??

nah........couldnt have been

Mark
Old 24 October 2001, 12:33 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sul - If you where used to driving on roads the width of Ireland, a 1.4 Astra would probably be plenty on the twisties round the west coast
Old 24 October 2001, 12:03 PM
steve_d
Scooby Regular

in a relative sense, it was like driving my honda CRX...as long as I kept it above 4500, it went whenever and wherever I wanted...

Got a great picture in the gaeltacht (sp?). we thought we were on the right road, but we came over a crest and there was the road, running right into the sea...

It was a surprisingly nice car. Then we met up with Paul McL. and got a ride in his wagon...THEN he let me drive...it all changed after that.

sjd
Old 24 October 2001, 11:14 PM
Yotsuya
Scooby Newbie

Who rented you the Astra? The best rate I've found is Hertz for a Focus. I'm still considering of a Fiesta, but I'd want the 1.4 in it so I could go up hills and pass tractors quickly.

In addition to an adequate motor, I'd like something I can't readily get in the States. Granted, the Focus is a great car, and there's enough adventure shifting with the left hand, but I'd like something the average gringo could not identify right away.
Old 24 October 2001, 11:47 PM
steve_d
Scooby Regular

it was from hertz. it was included in the package deal we got when we went over. I'm not quite sure what the level of car was.

it's definitely not a car you can get in the states. It was waaay too much fun for our pathetic american bloodstreams.

"you can slow down now" ...after I almost had an off at the top of the skyroad...damn americans.

sjd
Old 25 October 2001, 07:01 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Try National Car Rental at Dublin Airport. Do a search with Yahoo in Ireland and there's a site that provides you with the best quote from a number of sources. Cant remember the site name unfortunately. Earlier this month I booked a 1.6 Vectra but ended up with a 1.4 Renault Scenic with 6000 miles. I needed the space so it was my choice. £54 Sterling for 3 days having returned the car with a full tank. No mileage penalty either (from memory). It was the best deal that I could find.

Jerome
Old 30 October 2001, 03:19 PM
Yotsuya
Scooby Newbie

Thanks to everyone for your help; I got a corporate rate from Hertz and will probably end up with a Focus. Not exactly what I would like, but it'll do to carry more than one person in comfort for a week around the island.

There is one thing. I'm planning to drive from Dublin to see the Giant's Cuaseway. Are there any kind of border points or checks to go through when I cross from one area to another? The only reference I have are my US/Canadian border crossings, so I don't know what to expect.
Old 31 October 2001, 12:45 AM
DesG
Scooby Regular

There used to be checkpoints and customs, but not anymore, assuming you are on the Main Dublin-Belfast road.

Old 02 November 2001, 08:45 PM
Yotsuya
Scooby Newbie

And if I try and cross on a lessor road there's going to be a crude roadblock with tyres and a couple of guys with beards, baseball caps, shotguns, and coon hounds? Oh wait, that's the Mason-Dixon line right here in the States.
Old 07 November 2001, 04:20 AM
steve_d
Scooby Regular

LOL

sjd