Notices

Autotrader

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2001, 06:39 PM
David L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I was just looking in the Autotrader there is a 350bhp UK car (series McCrae). Even a 22b doesn't put out that kind of power. To get a UK car to put out that power would require serious engine work (thousands and thousands of pounds) and looking at the price the car is for sale at it doesn't look to have that kind of money spend on it..
So I don't think it has that kind of power so why can the Autotrader let people put in theses ads.. Surely under the trade descriptions act that if you buy the car and it doesn't put out that kind of power you could get your money back. It's like putting in an ad for a GSi cavalier and it's really a 1.6 with GSi skirts( the power difference would be the more for the impreza over 100bhp between a series MCCrae UK car and 350bhp).
I think the autotrader shouldn't allow BHP to be mentioned in ads... As everyone thinks a Jap import impreza puts out 280BHP ( I saw a uk car with WRX stickers!!! Must be to impress his friends)

David L Now getting off his soap box
Old 25 April 2001, 06:56 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Agreed on this one David, i went to see a car for a customer the other day and it was advertised as 300+bhp. When i saw it it was an Irish car with a back box and a filter. nothing else.

The problem is that there are 2 kinds of BHP. Real bhp and pub bhp

Autotrader seems to print the later version !

Just take these figures with a pinch of salt.

BTW the fidure for getting 300bhp from a UK/Irish car is about £7000 and then you need to match the brakes and suspension and clutch and gear box. Anything advertised at over £270 bhp is probably fictional. On the other hand a jap car is capable of 300bhp a little more easily but still rare on irish fuel.

i always ask them for the DYNO chart when they quote figurs like this.

Paul.

Old 26 April 2001, 06:46 PM
David L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Around £7000 to get 300bhp from a UK car plus having to uprate the other stuff...
That some money..Cheaper to buy a Jap import and spend the extra money uprating the ECU etc...
The sad thing about it is most people believe pub BHP and not real BHP....

David L
Old 10 May 2001, 11:17 PM
pierce1
Scooby Regular

N.Ireland edition of Autotrader is a complete waste of time and is only bought by dreamers and boy racers and neither of them buy cars unless they have free insurance. Put my STI V2 in for sale the same time the Series Mc Rae (350 BHP?) was in and had loads of phone calls and young lads coming in little Corsa's/Clio's with R plate's looking for a test drive.
Old 11 May 2001, 07:19 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dunno about that.I bought my car out of Autotrader and it is still the first place I would look if I was going to buy.As for timewasters,they are an inevitable part of life when you advertise a car for sale no matter where you advertise it.