Notices
International International Meetings & Events

Ring 02

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2002, 11:26 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Left Germany at 4.30 and arrived home in doors at 11pm, went straight to bed !

What a weekend, Friday early evening when we arrived the weather was good with a dry track, got a few enjoyable laps in and didnt see any other cars.
Saturday it rained all day but the track was ok, nice and quiet again.
Left the pub at 3am to find it snowing !!! Luckily the track was open on Sunday but it was really greasy in places causing a few offs.

Apart from one engine failure and a couple of minor smashes and a 1978 Fiesta that kept breaking down we all did ok, not too sure if the track is open this morning tho.

Top weekend. good to meet alot of different faces this year.

Jase

Old 06 May 2002, 07:17 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Talking

What an awesome weekend learnt loads great to meet new faces.

Special thanks to Gareth Lloyd and stef for the blatt back 6hrs door to door

Right where do i sign up for the next one.LOL
Old 06 May 2002, 07:45 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

so glad I came along in the end, had a fantastic time, bit of a shame about the weather, kept the bikers off tho!

Thanks to Gossy for the lift back, and Stef for leading the way, I'm still buzzing, I caught some impressive flames on camera too

Nice to see some old mates again and meet some new. Thanks to harj for organising it.

I'll keep my eye out for another one over the summer to bring mine along!

See you at the next one!

Lou
Old 06 May 2002, 08:50 PM
pikey
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Fab trip... just a shame my car was so underpowered and I could only get that power through 2 of the wheels!! REALLY enjoyed it and can't wait to get back there again.

Anyway... I've chucked a few pics up from the trip... including a 15 second mpg video (from the passenger seat!) of where Jon spun his TT at 130... Now *that* was a moment )

Take a peek at www.pikeynet.com

Ben (and a Silver Civic Type R)

PS. If you see a pic of your car that you'd like, drop me a line asking for the original high quality as the ones on the web are highly compressed.
Old 06 May 2002, 10:26 PM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

Came home at 2 a.m. and had to work today. But I would not have missed that weekend for anything.

Good to know a few faces to the names.

Ralf
Old 06 May 2002, 11:41 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Wow!

I did say I would only do a few laps The car actualy did 30 (most of those with 3 people in the car)

However Clare did 10 of those, and I am very proud of her. After a scary sideways moment she slowed down a little, and eventualy got faster because of it.

I have never had such a buzz before.

Thanks to all who made it so enjoyable.
Old 06 May 2002, 11:53 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Just got home! Knackered.

Got plenty of stories, taking the TT back was "interesting"

I'll come back and fill you in after some sleep.

Top weekend!

Trending Topics

Old 06 May 2002, 11:58 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Be interested to know how you got on with that one LOL
Old 07 May 2002, 07:49 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mornin'all. What fun, had a great time, did too many laps (40), used too much fuel and had a good laugh.

Big thanks to Graham (Skippy) for re-attaching my exhaust (I have a bottle of Scotch sitting here for you to say thanks!)

Shame it was wet but at least it kept the track clearish.

Roll on July!
Old 07 May 2002, 08:02 AM
pikey
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Oops! Of all 307 pics I posted last night (www.pikeynet.com), only about 220 are showing this morning. Strange - will fix tonight
Old 07 May 2002, 11:16 AM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

In advance of MRK saying it,

"OOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAA AHHHHHHHH"

Old 07 May 2002, 12:04 PM
Skippy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the ride's everyone

TaviaRS, it was a pleasure to help you with your car, thanks for the ride's i'm sure anyone would have done the same, top lads, top weekend

Nice to put face's to a lot of names and meet lots of the regulars

Skip.
Old 07 May 2002, 12:09 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Great weekend guys.
I promise next time I'll bring my car so you all have something to pass!!!

A big to Owain and the boys. They just never give up, and to let you all know they made it back to Blighty with out a hitch. I just hope the trip back to Wales was as smooth.
It still makes me laugh when I think of the three of them in a MK1 Fiesta with a full rollcage!! With all their problems the smiles never left their faces

Hope the rest of you got home safely with out the detours we managed Definately going to by a map next time

Iain.
(Co-driver for Andy in the Blue STI 7)
Old 07 May 2002, 12:17 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Bloody brilliant. I have been bitten by the bug and hope to go back as soon as finances allow.

Tavia, thanks for the lifts, that car is amazing. I want one now!!

I feel proud of myself for doing the 10 laps and surviving!! Need to get back there to improve.....
Old 07 May 2002, 12:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear you lot had a good time. I expect to hear all the info at the next kent/sussex meet, unless I see some of you before.

Maybe, just maybe, the blackbeast will come along to the next one.
Old 07 May 2002, 01:39 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Weirdest moment - wondering who the chap was following us everywhere !!! like a silent shadow, turned out to be Ralf. Made me feel bad as I sat next to him one lunchtime and totally ignored him thinking he was a weirdo !!
Old 07 May 2002, 01:42 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Scariest moment - Being in a naughty slide at 120mph with Cowboy John driving (John Reeves) laughing his head off. Bloody nutter even though he is a damn good driver !!!
Old 07 May 2002, 01:47 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Not that good
Old 07 May 2002, 03:20 PM
pikey
Scooby Newbie

Scariest moment - Being in a naughty slide at 120mph with Cowboy John driving (John Reeves) laughing his head off. Bloody nutter even though he is a damn good driver !!!
Scarier moment - watching the tail overtake you at 120 wondering if it's going to catch / flip and John not laughing, but swearing!

Look - and it's even on video (complete with swearing) http://web.ukonline.co.uk/pikeynet/02/05/03/nring243.mpg !!! On the rest of the site (pikeynet.com) there's also a vid of Gossy ripping his clutch to pieces trying to pull the poorly titty out of the kitty!
Old 07 May 2002, 04:19 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Top trip..... Shame about the weather, but thats where 4-wheel drive is a bonus

Some great pictures on PikeyNet... Check 'em out.

Bit of assistance on the above
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/pikeynet/0...3/nring243.mpg

Later.

[Edited by James_Harvey - 5/7/2002 4:20:46 PM]
Old 07 May 2002, 06:50 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Talking

Great pics, great corners, just bloody great
Old 07 May 2002, 09:50 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Talking

A big to Owain and the boys. They just never give up, and to let you all know they made it back to Blighty with out a hitch. I just hope the trip back to Wales was as smooth.
It still makes me laugh when I think of the three of them in a MK1 Fiesta with a full rollcage!! With all their problems the smiles never left their faces
hahahaha!!!

yeah we got home, holding the gearstick in 5th, box making all kinds of clanking noises, but we got here, just checked, and one more fuel stop would have maxxed my visa card... phew!!!

nice one to doc jock, gossy and the guys in the mental black scoob, as well as harj, jason and anyone else who helped us out / stopped when we spewed oil all over them!!!

owain chris and rich
Old 07 May 2002, 11:35 PM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Oh Lord, you are forgiven !

Thanks for the weirdo [!] grmbl

Ralf
Old 08 May 2002, 07:51 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

EMD, I'll give anyone passenger laps (even BMW driving t0ssers ) I gave laps to people I'd never even met before, one of whom didn't even speak english, all he said was " Lap, yes?" on the Friday. He came out with a big cheesy grin at the end having done 9minutes dead btg, reckon I could have married his sister! I seemed to be a slow version of the Ring taxi, LOL. At least having a passenger to talk to removes the need to listen to CDs while going round
Old 08 May 2002, 09:57 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Another great trip!

The poor old bus was a little under par. Not sure if it's fuelling, or plugs/coils. The oil temps/pressure, boost and fuel consumption are all fine. Basically it wasn't pulling hard beyond 4,500 rpm, and then nothing beyond 5,000. That's fairly limiting when there's 8,000 to play with! Must get some new plugs to see if that cures it. The nice lady at the Nissan dealer in Adenau just laughed at us when we asked for Skyline plugs! Plenty for a 1.0l Micra, but no R33 plugs! Strange that!

That bloke in the Griffith must've wondered what was up How embarrasing is that? Bloody Japanese cars. LOL. Having said that, it was still really slippy, and we had a few sideways moments even with limited power. Still, maybe that was a good thing, given the number of incidents that happened. One lap looked like a German demolition derby!

Hopefully the Nissan will be back to 100% fitness very soon, and it would be rude not to try it out once healthy! Still, it got us there and back, which is the main thing, asn on the odd occasion when it was "playing the game" it was ballistic as per usual. Still love it, although it pi$$ed me off all weekend! LOL

Great to see you all, and catch up soon I hope.

Cheers
Matt
Old 08 May 2002, 11:01 AM
IntegraR
Scooby Regular

Was good, me and some mates were there, but never got round to meeting any of you unfriendly Scooby lot!!
I was with a group with the black Elise and two Tegs and a 205 Turbo, saw you lot, cause I recognise the pics from that Pikey net link.

4wd mustve been good, me and my Teg met the mud and grass big style on the second carrousel, bit of damage, but nothing too serious.
Monday was the best, dried out in the afternoon, so was good to go.

Old 08 May 2002, 12:02 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

fecking hated every minute of it...
Old 08 May 2002, 12:22 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Talking

Gotta say chaps it was certainly memorable even though the weather was quite crap.

Had a good laugh and it was great to meet up with the regulars including Gunter Kev (EMD's Dummy) LOL

I only slept in my room for 1 night, other nights were escepading with other men LOL

Old 08 May 2002, 01:23 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

OwBow,

No probs for the lift mate, fantastic fun driving to Eupen whilst the track was wet

EMD,

I was trying to follow Andy Timmins round in my MY02STi but a total lack of ability to drive, a 5 week old car, and the fact I have only been to the ring once before were holding me back a little!! I have a terrible memory so my best laps were with Harj who could tell me where to go

Still a superb trip though and cannot wait for the next.
Old 08 May 2002, 02:48 PM
bike2track
Scooby Regular

Well time to put the record straight on the smallest of incidents!!!

The TT was running so well! Yes we had had the odd moment, where the back wagged a little but I was able to recover so easily without issue.

Coming into Schwedenkreuz, I was going a little faster than I had for the other laps....I think it was about 200kph the backend let go. I was on the same line I have always been on, but despite turning into the slide within milliseconds the backend whipped out on me so violently. This can be seen from the video (thanks Ben!) There was nothing to do other than run in a straight line, albeit backwards, and then try and turn it before hitting the Armco. All damage was done from the most miniscule of glances on the Armco. Which is a shame really, but there again we got of so lightly considering the speed and the place. So there we have it. I would like to have said I did something wrong, but I don’t think i did...maybe a little too fast, but that’s not a crime.. So I couldn’t learn anything from this incident.

Thanks though to:
Ben for getting so many photos and being a brave passenger.
John Felstead for getting a rope and then being the foreman whilst getting the car out of the gravel.
Gossy for the tow out of the gravel...I think I owe you the most.
Louisa for being brave enough to venture out on the first lap after the crash.
And finally Europcar for being stupid enough to let me have the car in the first place

Their faces when they noticed the damage will make me chuckle for many years...All was going well with the story of don’t know how the damage got there until they found a lap ticket DOH!!

Whilst I am on Would also like to thank Jason for letting me have some fun in his scoob… this was fantastic…He stayed so calm despite the little slide at about 120mph. This one was in control, so I put that down to the Scooby being so much more predictable than the TT. I cant of upset him too much as he let me out for a second lap…The slides became longer and more frequent too, so that was fun

All I need to do now is find another rental company, think I might be blacklisted at that one

Quick Reply: Ring 02