International International Meetings & Events

Auf Wiedersehen Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 04:33 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

It's not looking good for Thursday, I'm afraid. Sparshatts have just lifted the engine from the car as I suspected they would have to. They still don't know the full extent of the damage but I'm certainly going to need new cam gears and probably at least 8 valves too. If anybody has any tips on finding replacement parts quickly or knows where there are some heads that will bolt onto an MY99, such information will probably be useful for tomorrow's running about.

"I'm not losing the battle, just running out of time".

Gutted!

I might have to start organising the next 'ring trip if I miss this one.

P.S. The next person to offer me a mountain bike or a tractor engine is going to pay dearly
Old 09 April 2001, 05:18 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Noooo way.

Old 09 April 2001, 06:12 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Tony, maybe post a little "HELP" thread in General Questions ? Simon might not mind too much in this case (emergency).

And if it doesn't work out, try to get a lift to the Ring and blag a few rides ... This event can simply not be missed.

Theo [no, not in my car ]
Old 09 April 2001, 06:28 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Yeah Theo, I remember last time. "You can drive my car, no problem. Just remember that my SO2s are new. However, first I must fetch some cash." I've never seen your car move so quickly before, or since (in fact, I've never seen your car since then).

I've been offered a ride out to the 'ring but I'm not too sure that I would want to watch all you guys enjoying yourselves so much. Plus I'm quite worried about who (or what) I might have to share the back seat with following Rich_R's recent exploits at The Drink. It's quite an incentive to try to get the engine repaired though.
Old 09 April 2001, 07:13 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

>>." I've never seen your car move so quickly before, or since

Aw, that's not fair Tony ! I genuinly offered you to drive my car, with the restriction of "keep it in one piece" and "drive at 90 %" and "I need those tyres to go to work on monday". The disbelieve in your eyes (translated as "how can this friggin Belgian dude say these stupid things" told a book of stories

As always, the truth is a lot less exiting than the fiction: I went to the cash machine (had to search for 20 minutes to find it), bought two videos at the Erlebniswelt shop (they utterly suck BTW ) and then went back to the carpark. Saw noone there, so thought "OK, just a quick excursion to Brunnchen to shoot some tape". Took me 1 hour to get there (don't ask), and have some great footage of a non-disclosed Ford Fucus (wonder who that was )

After that, it became too late, and I had to get back to loony drivers country

Theo
Old 09 April 2001, 09:52 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The disbelief was because you had agreed to let me drive your car of which you are so protective. That I could not believe and I thank you for it.

As for the Focus.....It wasn't me!...but I'd love to see the footage.
Old 09 April 2001, 10:17 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

Smile

Tony,

Midland Impreza told me they have some complete japanese (270bhp) impreza engines ready to drop in a car if needed (a few months ago). They were talking about £1500 fitted including vat. If the damage is too severe it might be worth it. They can organise a rebuild/cam balance/blueprint if you want as well (lots of money!) Tell them Oliver the Karting guy sent you and ask if you could be given a special deal (tel 024 76373555)

Old 09 April 2001, 10:18 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

Smile

Whoops double posting..sorry

[This message has been edited by Sieze (edited 10 April 2001).]
Old 09 April 2001, 11:48 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Very bad news Tony, really sorry to hear that mate. I was hoping to kick your *** this trip

Hope you get it all sorted mate, try and come anyway just for the social.
Old 10 April 2001, 08:46 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Tony - Glad I'm providing the incentive needed

Offer for the lift still stands m8 - leaving from the cricketers pub at 08.00 on thurs

Good luck in getting it sorted.

Rich.
Old 10 April 2001, 04:23 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

I just got the prognosis. £2,400 + VAT for the parts alone. The entire engine is scrap and I'm pretty certain that it will be going into a skip. So I think it is all over now. I'm waiting to hear from a good guy at West Bromwich whether there is anything that they can do but I'm not hopeful.

Oliver, thanks for the suggestion. I'd love to do that but I'm not sure that Subaru Deutschland would sanction the fitting of an STI engine.

So Richard, exactly how bad is this young laydee of yours?
Old 09 May 2001, 09:55 AM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Angry

Just a quick update on what is happening with my car. The Germans won't sanction a repair in the UK because they think they that Sparshatts are taking the p155 with their price. They want me to take the car to Germany so that they can do the work there. They seem to think that it is no problem to get the car there and that this is a reasonable suggestion. Un-bloody-believable!

Anyone know any good German solicitors??

I never want another warranty in my life. I'd much rather just look after the car myself and keep the money that I pay for these "valuable" warranties. I won't say any more on here, I'll just leave you to work out what my full uncensored thoughts are.
Old 09 May 2001, 04:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Question

Tony, just out of curiosity what have Subaru Deutchland got to do with it? are you in England or Germany?

Wurzel
Old 10 May 2001, 12:46 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Wurzel,

the car is in England but the failure was caused by a German dealer leaving a bolt loose when I had the short block changed in Germany. Hence the liability for this rests with the German dealer.

[This message has been edited by Tony Quinn (edited 10 May 2001).]
Old 10 May 2001, 01:49 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking

Without being slanderous which dealer was it and where? just so I know not to go there
Old 10 May 2001, 06:13 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Don't worry Wurzel, it wasn't anybody close to Boblingen. The dealer still has one last opportunity to redeem himself but it doesn't look like he will.

Oliver, thanks for the tip. Graham is a great guy and it's nice to hear a Midlands accent again. I've been surrounded by Southern poofs for far too long now.