International International Meetings & Events

Stef, John, Harj

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 08:25 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now....... Lads.......

As anyone thought about a little "pre-track" briefing before this all happens????

Let us not forget!!!!!

This baby <B>HURTS</B>

Richard
Old 09 April 2001, 11:26 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rich.
What you about about old chap?
By 'pre-track' I presume you mean The Ring?
By 'baby' I presume you mean the RS?
By 'hurts' I presume you mean Ouch!
Oh, I get it. You're worried what John and Harj will do to it, and you want me to look after them? No probs mate.

Stef.

Old 09 April 2001, 10:09 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No .. stef.

I meant this track has the potential to really bite and thought it be a good idea for those that have done it before to pass on the info to the newbies like me

Richard
Old 09 April 2001, 11:34 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Plenty of time for that richard.

Just one rule to follow, if you arent sure whats coming, drive it like a special stage and keep plenty in reserve, its not rocket science mate.
Old 09 April 2001, 11:47 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rich I know you need educating on drinking beer so don't worry im at hand, but Stef is a good teacher if you wanna learn how to drink Shandy LOL

Rich there are plenty of instructors around but none who are mad enough to sit with you in a 500BHP car LOL

Old 11 April 2001, 03:26 AM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Seriously guys, Richard has a point. I can confirm that it does hurt when you fail to make a corner. Even more so if you have 500bhp. I may require several stiff drinks before agreeing to go out as a passenger with anyone I don't know and trust.

Whatever you do, don't worry about being quick on your first day and don't worry about being quick in busy spells because you won't be. Even when you know the track well and know where the grip is on the alternative lines you will still be 15+ seconds off clear track pace in traffic. Just go out familiarise yourselves with the track and the speed will come to you. Don't go chasing it. Try to hook up on a friendly rear bumper if that person has experience already and agrees to take you around at a steady pace. It should be easy to drive sub-9 like that if you have some aptitude and track day experience. Alot of people cannot do this though so don't worry if you're one of them. It's best to drop back and get your confidence first.

Watch out for bikers, they are blindingly quick in places and they are nearly all completely f*$%ing hopeless at letting you by. There's definitely arrogance/disbelief involved in some cases but most the time it will be because the rider is terrified by his own riding and/or the track and hasn't seen you coming. You will inevitably want to pass the buggers in the braking zones most of the time which can be worrying. Feel free to USE THE HORN, they respond quite well to that. Just bear in mind that many of the bikers that you come to pass won't see you until you stick the car right alongside.

Overtaking is officially on the left only, but anything goes really. If you see some guy storming up on you, try to indicate right to let him know that you have seen him and this will encourage him to look for a pass on the left even if he quite fancied darting by on the right. This way you both know where you are and it will be matey in his 600bhp Porsche who will have to do the explaining to the Polizei should the worst happen.

Other than that take down the number of the start hut (or somebody with a tow rope) if you have a mobile so that you can call for help if necessary. Recovery from the circuit starts at 389DM.

To end on a positive note, it will be the best fun you've ever had on a circuit. No doubt at all.