Notices
International International Meetings & Events

The ring trip was fantastic

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2000, 04:18 PM
Colin Berry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Nurburgring trip was superb and hopefully another one can be arranged for next spring. I will shortly publish pictures. Watch this spce...
Old 16 October 2000, 06:20 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Damn Damn Damn Damn Damn.

Im coming to next one regardless.

Old 16 October 2000, 06:49 PM
Herr JRRING
Scooby Newbie

Yes indeed, last weekend was great! Satuday many of you seen on and by the track! Unfortnualy I have not met Stef AP Brakes are realy great and ypu can win seconds at a round! When do you guys com again? We are there every weekend when it is open.

See You,

Jeroen ( from Holland)
Old 16 October 2000, 09:52 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Don't forget Mr T Quinn , with a 8:26 lap-record on the Ring in a standard Scooby !

Old 17 October 2000, 11:03 AM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It appears that Stef equalled that time yesterday, which I am glad about because he wouldn't let us go home until he had done so. I think that we might have to start measuring times to the nearest 0.1 or 0.01 at this rate. The good news is that I now have someone who can film me for a complete lap. The bad news is that the camera car will be sideways for much of the lap filming the inside of the circuit.

I think that we both know that we can lap even quicker than this, so next Easter should be interesting!
Old 17 October 2000, 05:55 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony,

Great weekend on the ring, pity I didn't met you, ans saw you driving

Curieus about your, and Stef's, lap-times: you were clocking from bridge to bridge(Antoniusbrücke & the 'iron-bridge') and also add 22-23 sec? What was total-time??

Will meet you Easter!

grt Geert
Old 17 October 2000, 07:02 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Geert,

It's a shame that we didn't meet, I gave quite a few rides to Dutch guys at the weekend. There wasn't much action on Sunday unfortunately and I spent acouple of hours on Saturday looking for tyres (unexpected loss of 4mm of tread in the morning). Thanks again for your help Theo.

The times are bridge to gantry (iron bridge), we are only amateurs and there is always traffic (except on Stef's lap ). I don't think anyone really knows how much time difference needs to be added for an Impreza on a full flying lap compared to a standing start, bridge to gantry. Correct me if I am wrong. I think that it is easier just to use the b-t-g times. I think that 20 something seconds is correct. I have a video of a 911 on a flying lap now, so I'll measure that between the gantry and the first corner and compare the time to my bridge to first corner and adjust for the Porsche's greater speed. I think that we need to get down to 8:15 to match the Sport-Auto driver.
Old 18 October 2000, 08:57 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Question

Would like to go over next spring, in the interest of my bank account anyone got an approximate figure for how much it cost in total it cost to go over, stay there, and consumables (tyres, brake pads, etc).

(I know it is not the most exciting of questions but my insurance is due in April)

Thanks
Old 18 October 2000, 01:25 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Red face

Petrol to dover - depends where you live
Dover to Calais - £125.00 for car & 2 people (thats a return ticket)
Calais to NurBurg - 300 miles work that out.
2 nights accomodation £30 - £60 per night includes breakfast.
£60 for 12 laps of the ring.
**If you go over with good brakes and tyres, you will be OK, as the track is no where near as bad on your car, then say, Donnington!

Spending money - whatever

Petrol back again!!!!!

In theory if u take it easy you will be able to get down on 2 tanks of fuel easy.....but watch out, a tank of fuel will only last about 4 laps(ish) of the ring!!!!!!!

Shaun.

I definatley going again next year!!!!!!! and this time i'm taking the 4wd monster!!

[This message has been edited by Shaun (edited 18 October 2000).]
Old 18 October 2000, 02:43 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Red face

Cheers Shaun,

I think I had better start saving now, Glasgow to Dover 500 miles + 300 miles (assuming 300miles is return) = 800 miles / 150 mpt - almost 6 tanks. Plus accomodation, etc.
Estimated cost exc tyres £800.

I would probably be cheaper spending a fortnight in Florida.
Old 18 October 2000, 07:23 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
its about 320 miles from calais to the ring each way! (unless matt is on the maps then its 390 miles )

the 22B used about 90 litres of fuel from Calais to the ring cruising at a steady 85MPH.

Hotels are excelent value, good food is cheep, beer is great.

i used about 8litres of fuel per lap on track, it is very kind to tyres and brakes compaired to most UK tracks because it flows much more, none of these poxy chicanes to brake into.

You can use the brakes quite hard but to be in that situation you need to have learned the track well, something very few people can do on there first visit.

shaun's info is spot on, if you are going to use a trailer then the cost does spiral, it cost me £287 for the car and trailer, rather than just £125 for a car.

Do not book direct with the ferries, they will rip you off, go via a booking agent. Direct with hoverspeed cost £165, for the same crossing booked via an agent it was £125. Going direct does not pay.

This track is a must for any driving enthusiast, make sure you take out european insurabce cover, european recovery cover and european health insurance cover.

If you have an accident they do not hesitate in sending the air ambulance, that will cost a fortune if you have to pay yourself, never mind the cost of hospital bills if you need them.
Old 19 October 2000, 02:52 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

The best time I have have ever spent on a track bar none!
The 'Ring is quite simply the most awesome place for driving on the planet (well, that I've been to anyway!).
If you take the best section of every UK circuit and join them all together, you'd have about a 1/4 of the 'Ring, it's that good.
Ignore Tony, I never expected to get near his time on my first visit there, I was simply having too much fun catching Skyline's and the like!
Even my car went through a tank of fuel every four laps,which equates to about 6mpg!!!
Took some great footage of everyone on track, and will be compiling a video from the best bits.
Anyway, 'CK1' is now adorned with the infamous 'Ring' stickers, made even more appropriate by beating a 400bhp RS500's time!
Roll on Easter....Tony Quinn's time's gonna go!

Stef.
Old 19 October 2000, 03:01 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

EASTER!!!!!!

Thats too far away, Im hoping to do it much earlier than that! December at the ring could be cool
Old 19 October 2000, 07:42 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

bloody freezing you mean!!
Old 20 October 2000, 10:14 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

It's only worth going to the 'Ring in December if you take your skis!!!!!
It's closed until March!

Stef.
Old 20 October 2000, 11:25 AM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Cool

Actually Stef, the 'ring is open throughout the year. There is even four consecutive days of public sessions between 23 and 26 December. You can also see in the New Year on the track too. Everything about that place seems to buck convention.
Old 20 October 2000, 01:58 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Talking

LOL @ Stef!
Old 21 October 2000, 03:34 PM
Robb
Scooby Regular

Has anyone done a trip to the Ring and back in a day? I was thinking of taking a run down there in the next 2 or 3 weeks (on a week day). Can anyone advise me on the following:

1. How long it is likely to take to get there from S.London via Le Shuttle?

2. Is there a problem with leaves on the circuit at this time of year.

3. What's the quickest route.

Cheers

Rob

PS anyone fancy coming along?
Old 21 October 2000, 04:51 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Rob,

I can answer some of your questions as I live in S. London

- it takes about 1hr / 1.5hrs to Folkestone.
If you drive at around 90mph, you should get to the ring in about 5 / 6 hrs depending on how many breaks you have.

I probably better going to go to the ring for a weekend, as you'll get really tired doing it in one day.

Thanks

Sonu

Old 21 October 2000, 08:43 PM
psyg
Scooby Regular

Another point, opening-times:

Ring open rest of year:
okt:
mo 23
sun 29
nov:
wen 1
sun 5
sun 12
sat 18
sun 19
sat 25
sun 26

Meaby, when you 're lucky, you can drive other times...

grt Geert
Old 25 October 2000, 11:15 PM
strong
Scooby Regular

Going to the Ring for a day is feasible.

I've gone across via Eurotunnel on Friday evening blasting across Belgium at naughty speeds taking the all-motorway route and got there within 3.5 hrs of getting off the train at Calais. Caught the 8:50pm train (UK time) from Folkestone and got to my hotel in Adenau at 1:50am. Had a good sleep, got to the Ring by 10am. Leave when the Ring closes, say at 4 or 5pm in winter and drive back to get home to the south of England by midnight.

Personally I swear by the all motorway route -- E40 through Belgium, going close to Aachen becoming the A4 in Germany, go south on the A61 and then onto the 257 to Adenau. It's 295 miles from Eurotunnel Calais to the Ring car park. It's fast, easy and you don't get lost.

If you can leave for a weekend at short notice then going there late February or in March is a definite possibility. Check the weather forecasts mid-week and decide whether or not to go. If it looks like snow there, phone the Ring hut on the Friday and get their opinion about whether it will be open that weekend. At least one guy there speaks reasonable English.

The Ring may technically be listed as open in December and January but I doubt it actually gets opened during that time. I was there on the last weekend in February this year. The previous weekend was snowed-out, and they didn't open it on the Saturday until 11am, had blocks of snow at the side of the track but the sun was out and the track was bone dry. Me, a couple of locals and a posse of GT3s (going out in a very fast threesome 'convoy') had the track to ourselves. Lovely. Expect it to be wet though.

Paul