Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Triple pod and gauges fitted

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2012, 04:09 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple pod and gauges fitted

Despite the rain today I decided to get the triple pod and gauges fitted I got earlier this week. Nothing too special really, just look like the ones which come on the P1 (I think) but certainly look OEM and for what I needed are ideal.

As I wasn't sure on the overall quality of Revotec products I tested both the oil pressure and boost gauges at work before fitting and they were spot on, with my limited knowledge on gauges I'm not sure if the length of pipe's from the sender and vacuum pipe to the gauges will effect their readings but at least I know they are capable of providing an accurate reading.

Gauges aren't plumbed in yet, due to the ****ty weather so just got them secured and power ran to them so they are illuminated, will be looking for a good place to go through the bulk head if anyone has any recommendations?

Old 27 June 2012, 04:12 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look great fella, i love my 3 gauge pod in my car.
are you going to use a sandwich plate or the proper fittings?

Last edited by tubbytommy; 27 June 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 27 June 2012, 04:13 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good mate. Best place is threw the gromet under the brake res mate. Poke a screw driver threw and it will come behind the clutch pedal.... Very easy to do bud
Old 27 June 2012, 04:19 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Tommy,

It came with a proper sender unit with a braided hose which from what I can see goes in the location of the original oil pressure sensor, this then provides the signal for oil temp and a connection for the oil pressure hose to be connected. I'm assuming with better gauges the oil pressure signal would be electrical rather than having a pipe plumbed from the sender to the back of the gauge.

Bean,

Cheers that sounds ideal, is that close to the down pipe tho, I've seen another behind the brake pipe bracket but it looks like a **** to get to?

Cheers
Old 27 June 2012, 04:23 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stualex
Tommy,

It came with a proper sender unit with a braided hose which from what I can see goes in the location of the original oil pressure sensor, this then provides the signal for oil temp and a connection for the oil pressure hose to be connected. I'm assuming with better gauges the oil pressure signal would be electrical rather than having a pipe plumbed from the sender to the back of the gauge.

Bean,

Cheers that sounds ideal, is that close to the down pipe tho, I've seen another behind the brake pipe bracket but it looks like a **** to get to?

Cheers
i have prosports and they have a remote electrical sender, so does that mean you have to plumb an oil pipe into the cabin???
the pod looks a good fit, the dash still has an oem look to it.

Last edited by tubbytommy; 27 June 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 27 June 2012, 04:31 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Give me 15 mins mate n ill stick a picture up off whero to go threw bud. Its very simple. Just make sure your engine is cold incase you touch the turbo
Old 27 June 2012, 04:37 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i have prosports and they have a remote electrical sender, so does that mean you have to plumb an oil pipe into the cabin???
the pod looks a good fit, the dash still has an oem look to it.
Yeah, it seems due to these being cheaper gauges you need to actually run a pipe from the sender to the back of the gauge, basically if the gauge fails in some way I could potentially have oil all over the cabin. Hence why I was wondering if the distance between the sender and the gauge, around 3-4ft of pipe will give an accurate reading.
Old 27 June 2012, 04:38 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bean1984
Give me 15 mins mate n ill stick a picture up off whero to go threw bud. Its very simple. Just make sure your engine is cold incase you touch the turbo
My alarm siren has first hand experience of the heat of the turbo!

Old 27 June 2012, 04:39 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

And yes, I now have a blanket round the turbo!
Old 27 June 2012, 04:43 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

There you go bud thats my boost gauge pipe work.... Ouch shows you how hot those turbos get mate. Whete did you get the blanket from matey
Old 27 June 2012, 04:49 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

I saw that grommet but due to me having to run a pipe for the oil pressure I thought the heat from the exhaust might alter the viscosity of the oil in the pipe thus changing the pressure reading. However I could run a blanket over the top to protect them.

As for the blankets

I can't say, but I do work for a rather large engine manufacturer who use turbo's the size of footballs so we have our fair share of heat shields and blankets lying around.
Old 27 June 2012, 06:37 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by stualex
Tommy,

At a push, yes, but the two holes are for oil PRESSURE sender and oil PRESSURE switch, should you decide to keep it.

The correct place* to fit the oil TEMPERATURE sender is in the tappings above No3 cylinder, you need an adaptor which about £8.

* Correct place because No3 cylinder is known to run hottest, so take oil temperature from above it
Old 27 June 2012, 06:51 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
At a push, yes, but the two holes are for oil PRESSURE sender and oil PRESSURE switch, should you decide to keep it.

The correct place* to fit the oil TEMPERATURE sender is in the tappings above No3 cylinder, you need an adaptor which about £8.

* Correct place because No3 cylinder is known to run hottest, so take oil temperature from above it
Cheers, thats exactly the type of info I needed!