Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Fitting New Interior...

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2008, 07:13 PM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting New Interior...

I've bought some WRX front and rear seats to replace my grim looking GX ones. How do I go about removing the old seats and putting in the new ones?

Any guides/step-by-step's?

Cheers,

Tom
Old 01 September 2008, 03:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Fronts: there are two bolts, one either side on the front of the seat subframe, and two more on the rear.

Undo bolts, lift out seat.

If there are airbag connectors, disconnect battery, wait 30 minutes BEFORE undoing/remaking any airbag connections.

To replace fronts: place the seat roughly in place. Enter all four bolts, which should screw in finger-tight by hand. If they are tight, remove bolt, jiggle seat a little, and refit bolt. DO NOT force bolts, they strip their threads very easily.

Rears: Undo the two, or three bolts along the front face of the rear seat squab. Lift it so as to disconnect it from the rear seat back, and lift it out.

Now undo and remove the three bolts holding the lower edge of the seat back in place. The seat back is held at the top edge, both sides, by a hook on the car, and the bar,which fits into the hook, on the seat back. To remove it, lift both sides straight up to disengage hooks. The seat back now lifts out. You can lift them out one at a time.

To replace, fit seat back, first engaging hooks on both sides, ensure BOTH sides are hooked BEFORE proceeding.
Then refit and tighten seat back bolts.
Engage seat squab with seat back, and refit and tighten bolts that hold it. Ensure seat belt buckles are above the seat squab, not caught under it

If you undid any airbag connections, refit battery, and turn on ignition from OUTSIDE the car, ie: NOT sitting in the driver's seat

Alcazar
Old 02 September 2008, 07:34 PM
Tom87
Scooby Regular

Fantastic, cheers Alcazar. The seats arrived today so will probably put them in in the next couple of days.

I shouldn't have any airbag problems if I disconnect the battery according should I?

Tom

Last edited by Tom87; 02 September 2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03 September 2008, 08:01 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Alcazar, any top tips for replacing the door cards? I need to do one this weekend and don't want to damage it! Cheers.
Old 03 September 2008, 10:33 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I ought to copy all these onto MSWord and just paste them when asked

First prize out the two screw covers, one at the front of the doorcards, one near the door-pull. DO NOT undo the one inside the handle

Undo and remove the two screws. Place screws and covers somewhere safe

Now gently prize up the window switches, release the wiring multiplug and remove the switch.

Again, gently, prize up the door handle, (NOT pull), surround and remove it.

Working at the bottom of the door, near the front, insert a thin blade, (I use a dessert spoon handle), and run it towards the rear of the car until it is stopped by a clip: prize the clip up. Continue until you've done 'em all.

Now LIFT the door card VERTICALLY up to disengage it from the top of the door clips, and pull it towards you.

Replacement is a reverse of the above, settle it at the top, then press home clips along bottom, remembering to feed the window switch wiring through it's hole as you fit the doorcard.

Takes longer to type than to actually do

Alcazar
Old 03 September 2008, 12:01 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

You see, unscrewing the screw in the handle would have been the FIRST thing i'd have done!!

Why don't you have to unscrew that one?
Old 03 September 2008, 04:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
You see, unscrewing the screw in the handle would have been the FIRST thing i'd have done!!

Why don't you have to unscrew that one?
Because that screw holds the handle to the door, not the door-card. Once the handle surround is off, the door card will come off as above leaving the handle in place: if you undo it, there'll be bits and linkages all over

Alcazar