Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Any advice for fitting white dash kit?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2002, 11:29 PM
WRXsteve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

OK not only do I make a mess of my rear screen removing the window film, but I have managed to break my rev counter while fitting a white dial kit. Any advice for fitting?
I did the old spoon trick which worked, but it pulled out the whole spindle which goes back in but does not work. New gauge on its way and I don't want to break this one!

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 26 January 2002, 12:08 AM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Steve, I used a hair dryer to heat the needle a bit before I levered it off with the spoons. Remember to mark the rest position of the needle before you remove it.

Give me a shout if you need any help.

Stuart
Old 26 January 2002, 11:29 AM
WRXsteve
Scooby Regular

Thanks Stuart....

I have bought a new rev counter which is now fitted and working. Thanks anyway Stuart!

Cheers,

Steve.
Old 05 February 2002, 03:08 AM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Steve,
you did the same thing as I did with mine. (some people never learn!!!!!!!!!!!!!). have you fitted the white dials yet?

Let me know if I can be of any help!

See ya in 9!

Russell
Old 05 February 2002, 08:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

ok so when you r about 2 remove the needle with the ole spoon & dryer technique where r u supposed 2 mark where it's resting, surely it's just where the pin bit sticks out? & when it comes off i take it it will, all things going well, just be the black circle attached to the needle? Is it like a cog type thing it sticks onto then?
All the stoopid questions but my dials r in the post so im just trying 2 visualise wot is required exactly & wot it shud do
Paranoi setting in dont wana muller me dials!
Si
Old 05 February 2002, 09:14 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

Where the pin rests on the stop isnt the place to put it back on,before you remove it pull the needle over the pin and find its true resting place further round at the bottom,not where its supported.

Steve
Old 06 February 2002, 07:51 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

der woops i had already been told this on http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=67424 but anyway cheers 4 that & now that i'm paying attention am i correct in thinking it's pretty much just a case of unscrewing the apropriate screws & jiggling the clips etc until you gain access 2 the dials etc as is displayed on http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...d&threadid=143 as it seemed a bit of a different layout so i was unsure if this was just a different MY to mine (MY97) or if it was due 2 it being a yank version. Anyway if any1 can confirm that this is basically a good description of how 2 get to the spoon & dryer technique it wood b appreciated
Essay over
Si
Old 09 February 2002, 12:21 AM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Rev/Speedo - Gently lift the needle over the stop peg and let it fall to it's rest position like this

Mark the rest positions on the white frame, it may be worth gently flicking the needle a couple of times so that it rests properly. Remove the 2 screws holding the dial, gently warm the needle spindle fitting with a hair dryer then lever it off with 2 desert spoons, one either side of the spindle. fit new dial, screw up and refit needle.

Fuel/Temp - remove 3 screws on back of console and remove the gauge. remove the 2 screws from dial face, cut the dial as shown

Remove parts, new dial comes in 2 parts (new style ones) slide one part in from each end and re-fix the 2 screws, refit gauge.

Lay black cover over and ensure each dial is lined up correctly.

I've got pictures of every step if anyone needs em.

Stuart

[Edited by sasim - 2/9/2002 12:35:45 AM]
Old 09 February 2002, 03:52 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ok getting a bit tricky now i've got 2 the stage where the screws have been removed from the dial housing so it is free to more in the dash. However i cant get it to move out of the dash or lay it on it's front or back due to the various bits of plastic in the way so i can't get to the cables or wotever at the back that need 2 b detached before the hole thing can kum out HELP how the bloody hell do i get it out or wotever, i didnt wana yank it too hard incase it did sumin i didnt want it 2 But while i took pictures i cant develope em till monday but i'll try & explain it the 2 metal bits which held the screws in at the top cannot move around or behind wot they screw into so i cant flip it backwards & while i can move em forwards not enough 2 even c behind or allow the hole lot 2 kum out untill the wires or wotever @ the back resist! Bugger im stuck.
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP
Please
Si
Old 10 February 2002, 04:22 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

de ja vous again as i've already just posted this in the parrellel thread but:
OK HELP round 2. Got all the dials sorted out after following the give it a good yank technique
However, oh god here we go....... on trying 2 refit it one of the bleeding screws fell down the inside bugger
a) does this mean i'm guna have a rattle? & if so i guess it's a laborious process getting such items out?
b) where can u get scooby screws kuz halfords or motorworld didn't have the right size so i may try midland impreza 2moz as they only but a few streets away from me which is a bonus i guess?
Shyte also the top 2 screws that hold the cluster in place the left one now has seemingly not got anything to screw in2 (bugger sumin else 2 rattle?) so is currently held in by one screw at the top right & 1 in the bottom left.
I'm a screw loose well 2 screws absent more like, er shud b ok 4 now i guess, & hope, but any pearls of wisdom 4 Mr fek up wood b greatfully received
Si
Old 10 February 2002, 07:26 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Si, make sure the spring clip is present on the top fixing, this is what the screw goes into. Maybe the missing screw will make its way down and drop into the footwell?
rob
Old 10 February 2002, 07:30 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

yeah there is bugger all behind the hole so i guess that's exited stage left n all cheers thou, any1 no where u can get em?
Bonus is no rattle yet anyhow, uh oh hexed it now
Si
Old 13 February 2002, 06:45 PM
mook
Scooby Regular

Flippin 'eck Si, you're not having the best of luck. the spring clip thing should be knocking about somewhere in the dash, either that or it fell out onto the floor when you weren't looking, got removed from the car somehow and trodden into your drive
Old 13 February 2002, 07:23 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm cursed check out http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=72189 but on the subject of dials dont stress mook the greese was more my eagerness 2 get it back in while not thinking thru the greese fully, oh well hopefully fixed soon
Can any1 recommend the best wood or alternative 2 use in place of the spring clip as there was sum cracked plastic on the floor so i suspect it may well be bust & the screw went towards the middle of the dash so unlikely 2 drop down thru the pedals! Bad luck mode strikes lol oh well no rattles so not all bad
Si
Old 16 February 2002, 02:10 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bugger looks like my rev dial has also bit the dust as i've removed it again & the needle isn't dragging yet it doesn't return to the rest position so i can only take it the spindle or wotever is stuffed! Although it never actually came away from the mountings etc? Just wondering where u got yer relacement from steve & how you went about swapping it over? Or any alternatives people?
Er good news is i managed 2 get replacement screws & spring clip for the ones i had lost free of charge from midlnad impreza
So 1 problem down now just 1 to fix
Help
Si
Old 16 February 2002, 05:26 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

yep removed the entire spindle etc & it is pear shaped in sum way as it moves up & down which dont seem healthy so oh dear!
Old 17 February 2002, 05:02 AM
mook
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Probably best getting a whole new rev counter from somewhere and fitting that in with your new dial face. Should be easier to fit second time round. I guess you could always try your Midland place again