OEM Stereo problem

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2007, 01:25 PM
Johnnyok
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Stereo problem

Hello,

Is there something I'm missing? I have been trying to install a factory stereo CD unit from a 2004 Impreza in a 92 Loyale. I bought a wiring harness for the Loyale and a reverse harness for the Impreza/Baja stereo. I hooked up all the wires and got no power. I did not hard mount the stereo. I thought the stereo was bad so I ordered another one. It wont work either. I checked the 12V+ wire and the ground with a volt meter. The power is there, but the unit wont power up. I direct wired the power and ground to the stereo, bypassing the harness. Still no power. I put a ground wire on the stereo frame and hooked up the power. No power. Is there a secret ground wire or something I don't know about? I have installed aftermarket stereos in lots of different cars, without any problems. I have been screwing around with this for three days....It's driving me nuts!....HELP!....Thanks in advance!

JOHNNY
Old 10 August 2007, 10:29 AM
shea2k
Scooby Regular

Hi bud, a few real basic fault finding steps, and as you have fitted stereos before, I apologise now if these may seem condescending:
  • Does the stereo itself have a fuse (either inline or onboard).
  • Dont forget the stereo fuse in the cars fuse panel also.
  • Some OEM stereos use the aerial as a grounding, so it might be worth making sure that it is connected.
  • Have you tried a direct feed of 12v from the battery (a couple of simple connecting wires to the + and - of the stereo to see if it will fire up (if you are taking this option, and the stereo does not have an inline/onboard fuse, I would suggest spending a quid or two and buy a wee in line 10amp fuse just to be safe.

Let me know how you get on bud, or PM me.

Good luck with it.
Old 19 August 2007, 09:40 AM
norman56uk
Scooby Newbie

Just to add to shea2k comments. Most modern HU's have 2 12volts feeds. 1 from battery/fuse box and 1 from ignition switch, if either is missing, it wont switch on.
Been there!!!!