Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Ebay dash gauge pod(classic fitment)??

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2007, 10:46 AM
burt2000
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay dash gauge pod(classic fitment)??

i bought an "OEM" stlye pod for fitting 3 gauges into that will sit on the top cubby hole of my 1999 classic shape, now the prob is i have got the lid off but the bottom part of the bin is connected to the whole dash and the pod isnt a tight fit....its the one with a smooth slanting back(and dash effect finish)not the defi stlye with 3 humps in it

def doesnt seem right ann there is nothing to secure it to the dash with or a plate in the pod with 3 circles cut out for the gauges, it might be the wrong one me thinks

heres the link to the guy selling and the product, think i will send it back
eBay.co.uk: Subaru Impreza OEM Style 52mm Gauge Pod Console 98/00 (item 190115645009 end time 01-Jun-07 23:00:00 BST)

any help or advice much appreciated
Old 03 June 2007, 11:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As regards fitting it, just do what I did with mine: a couple of smallish blobs of clear silicone under it, and leave it to set. It's solid enough, but CAN be pulled off if necessary. I had to, one of the wires fell off the back of a gauge

If your car is a 98>00, the base of the box DOES come off: undo the two screws that are under covers, wrap a piece of cloth, string etc through the catch hole and PULL the whole thing like FEK towards you. First time out it feels like it'll break..........

Fitting gauges? Hmmmm, if it doesn't come with a front panel, make one from ABS. Any good model shop will sell thick styrene sheet in 12" x 8" sheets, in black. Any sort of thickness up to around 2mm. Try model shops online if a local one can't supply, it's around £1 a sheet, with a nice satin finish.

Cut holes with hole saw, slightly small, supporting sheet on a piece of wood to allow it to cut through without tearing, and finish with glasspaper wrapped around a dowel until gauges are a nice tight fit.

Then mark and cut out to fit pod: again cut large, glass paper to size.

Oh, and do all marking on the REAR with a sharp point, rather than pencil etc.

Fix it to pod with either stainless cap headed bolts, stainless screws, or glue it into place with silicone from the rear.

At the price you paid for the pod, I'd be prepared to do a BIT of work, my pod was £80 and I still had to cut holes for the gauges!

Alcazar