Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

How To Fit An Aftermarket Steering Wheel To Your Facelift Classic

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2007, 06:00 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Fit An Aftermarket Steering Wheel To Your Facelift Classic

I searched a few times for this one and could never find a definitive thread nor a bare bones 'How 2' guide. So i did some research and have come up with the following.

The problem with fitting an aftermarket wheel to a facelift Classic properly appears to stem from the fact a suitable boss is hard to come by. It seems Momo do not supply a boss for post 1996 Imprezas and other bosses available make it awkward to retain the indicator cancel function as well as keep the airbag warning light extinguished.

I did some Googling and it seemed the HKB supplied boss could be the answer. The advertising blurb stated it it kept all the functionality of the original wheel while facilitating fitment of an aftermarket wheel of your choice. Great i thought although i had no idea where to buy one... the US site where i read the blurb would not ship internationally and i could find no UK suppliers. At the time i was in process of placing an order with Greenline Motorsports so asked Jason if he could locate one for me. Luckily he could and it landed owing me £42.44.

So, on with the guide! Here's the HKB boss and my new steering wheel. I wanted to stick to using a Momo as it's what the car was supplied with and the Model 80 comes with nice buttons which i had plans for.

Park the car ensuring the wheels are pointing straight ahead. OEM MOMO wheel.

After disconnecting the battery undo the two T30 Torx bolts (one each side) that hold the airbag assembly in place. The bolts won't withdraw as they are clipped in place.

The airbag assembly can now be withdrawn, unclip the yellow electrical connection as you do so. Be sure to store it safely!

You'll now be left with something resembling this.

Unclip the white horn connection. To remove the steering wheel you now need to engage the steering lock and use a 17mm socket to slacken the bolt.

With a gentle tug the steering wheel should come off. Note the grey indicator cancel prong just above the yellow sticker (there is another obscured in the photo by the wiring).

Slide the HKB boss onto the splined shaft, the top is marked. Be sure to engage the grey prongs with the template on the reverse of the boss.

I quickly trial fitted the steering wheel to make sure the indicators still cancelled.

This is the resistor which extinguishes the airbag warning light, it is rated at 2 ohms. I later connected it with more robust bullet connectors.

With the shroud removed from the HKB boss it's easier to route the wiring tidily.

All fitted.

HKB Application List

OS-103 - GC/F Impreza Version 4
OS-224 - GC/F Impreza Version 4 (airbag)
OS-238 - GC/F Imprezas Version 5/6 (airbag)

Full application list here.
Old 05 March 2007, 06:28 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Default How To Lock Your DCCD Remotely

Part of the reason why i wanted to fit the Momo wheel was so i could wire up the buttons to interesting things. I've been inspired by Graham Loakes excellent project thread where he fitted a steering wheel-mounted button to lock his DCCD and act as a basic form of launch control.

With this in mind i pulled the DCCD potentiometer out to see which terminals needed to be bridged to lock the diff. Shorting the two furthermost right legs had the desired effect.

The trickiest part with running wires to the steering wheel is ensuring they aren't going to restrict movement of the wheel or chafe and short. It occured that i could use the now redundant airbag wiring which already passed through the indicator cancel assembly. This way the steering wheel would still have full movement and there would be no wires on show.

You can see the assembly at the top of the picture and the airbag wiring in the yellow sheath. I snipped the sheath to access the wires so that with a bit of tape the sheathing will hide the splicing if the car is returned to standard. The red/white wires have already been spliced into and routed from the DCCD pot to the steering column.

As the wiring for the airbag was now terminating under the steering colum i crimped some bullets onto the spare resistor HKB supplied.

Now you can see the resistor fitted, the wires from the DCCD pot and the OEM airbag wiring tails.

All crimped/spliced together and taped up.

With the car put back together and the wiring spliced into the steering wheel it's time for a test run...

A Quick Video

Last edited by Carl Davey; 06 March 2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 05 March 2007, 10:43 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Im liking that wheel!! about time i had another run out to your house again carl

P.S. yer linky dont worky m8ty
Old 05 March 2007, 11:03 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up Carl, on my to do list now as well as the DCCD.

One point thoigh, you not better wiring the diff lock up to the right hand button so you can shift with it locked?
Old 06 March 2007, 12:40 AM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

The wheel is nice, the only problem is i have had to adjust the column so it sits a little higher than before. This is because the new wheel has a slightly smaller diameter and i can't see my Detalarm.

The (rather shonky) vid is now fixed Duncan. You know you're welcome round anytime.

Colin, my car is a long way off breaking traction in 2nd in the dry lol. It only just does it in the wet and that's with the diff fully open. It's a good point though and hopefully one i'll need to address someday.
Old 06 March 2007, 07:42 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What did your insurers say about the removal of the driver's airbag?

Alcazar
Old 06 March 2007, 08:58 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

oky doky, just saw the vid, wish i had the ***** to try something like that

Old 06 March 2007, 10:32 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

So what did you do about the horn then? i take it its wired up to the other button?
Old 07 March 2007, 07:30 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Davey
Colin, my car is a long way off breaking traction in 2nd in the dry lol. It only just does it in the wet and that's with the diff fully open. It's a good point though and hopefully one i'll need to address someday.
Even at Crail? I don't wind the diff back until third there. First is just a blur you smoke, sideways action and almost full lock trying to keep it straight off the line.

I'll defo do it myself after seeing how yours turned out. BTW, what colour were the wires you shorted out on the dccd controller, can't quite make it out.
Old 08 March 2007, 11:27 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

nice write up Caarl, would like to do that to my bugeye, but the insurance is the problem!

S!
Old 05 April 2007, 03:30 PM
Carl Davey
Scooby Regular

Insurers have made a note of the modification but haven't adjusted my premium. I deal through Gary Moulson at Keith Michaels.