Notices
Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

05 steering wheel on 99 classic ???

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2006, 02:11 PM
Reckless
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 steering wheel on 99 classic ???

will it go strait on with the air bag ? or is there a alot f**king on ?
Old 31 March 2006, 07:35 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/archive/i...t489336p1.html

you may need to paste the picture url's into your browser to see them for some reason.....
Old 31 March 2006, 08:32 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Red face

Guys, please be aware of the relative risks of doing this for your own health, and also the impact to your insurance, both life and car. Please see explanation from an old post.

Ultimately choice is yours, just letting you know of the dangers....

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=airbag
Old 31 March 2006, 10:50 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

My car has been MOT'd since the wheel was fitted, the airbag on mine IS wired in..... also, i've been right up front with the insurers, and they didn't even murmer when the different wheel was mentioned....... i don't plan to ever need the airbag, but, should i be unfortunate enough to need it, i'm 99.9% confident that it will work fine...... the way i see it, the trigger mechanism has not been altered, and you don't sit any further away from the wheel in a classic than you do in a newage car..... so the bag size should be fine too...... but.... change the wheel at your own risk.....
Old 01 April 2006, 10:44 AM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You're missing the point. You can't swap airbags between different generation cars and expect the performance to be the same!! Its not about whether electrically they work or not, or whether the airbag light goes out. Its when they go bang!!

Airbags are designed to vent gas in a controlled manner, reducing foward motion of the occupant relative to the crash pulse of that car. Crash pulse is the amount of energy absorbtion from bumper to the firewall, up the steering column and transmitted to the airbag. Seatbelts also are tuned to work with that airbag - more differences.

The newer cars (01MY onwards) are much heavier than classics, so their airbags are made more powerful to take into account the added weight. Classic airbags will have different size vents to newage, as their energy requirement would be less due to lower weight. If you put a 01MY on airbag into a classic, you could be creating more damage to yourself as the airbag will be more powerful.

I'm just making everyone aware of this, as this is my work, i've been in safety design and test for the last 9 years. Its totally everyone's choice to change these, but please be aware of the risks. Insurance companies won't quibble when taking people's money, but if an accident occurred and there was a fatality, a dodgy airbag could mean the difference between someone's family getting a payout for life insurance or not. We're talking a lot of money here, so is it worth taking the risk??

Please everyone stay safe.
Old 01 April 2006, 11:07 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

I only have a mother.... and she's minted, so she doesn't need money, she'd rather that if i were to die that i did so doing what i enjoy... not wether she gets a big cheque afterwards.....!
Old 02 April 2006, 05:54 PM
Stuart Page
Scooby Regular

Smile

lol at Ron!!

Fairy nuff for you matey, just hope the rest consider all the implications too.