Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Mounting Origin B2

Search this Thread

Old 26 November 2004, 10:36 AM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mounting Origin B2

I have figured out where I am going to mount the Origin (just righ of the dash nr the vent), but on removal from my previous car, the sticky pad for the cradle is now less than sticky. Anybody any ideas where I can get a super sticky pad - will Halfords be of any use, or am I best heading to B & Q?

Cheers

Steve
Old 26 November 2004, 10:40 AM
S11EPS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boulevard
I have figured out where I am going to mount the Origin (just righ of the dash nr the vent), but on removal from my previous car, the sticky pad for the cradle is now less than sticky. Anybody any ideas where I can get a super sticky pad - will Halfords be of any use, or am I best heading to B & Q?

Cheers

Steve
Halfords sell them - you want the ones that are used for sticking number plates - sticks like **** to a blanket (I have used these on my Origin )

Ask at the number plate counter, and they will point you ion the right direction
Old 26 November 2004, 10:53 AM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S11EPS
Halfords sell them - you want the ones that are used for sticking number plates - sticks like **** to a blanket (I have used these on my Origin )

Ask at the number plate counter, and they will point you ion the right direction
Delicately put - cheers matey
Old 26 November 2004, 11:01 AM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Anybody any ideas where I can get a super sticky pad

Steve,

PM me, send your address and i will supply enough sticky tape to sink a battle ship. I have not long mounted a Knocklink monitor in the very same place you describe. It's going no where.
Old 26 November 2004, 11:03 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Did think of going to Halfords for a couple of new ones - but it was cheaper to buy them for £1.95 each from Origin than drive through!
Old 26 November 2004, 11:55 AM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

If you call Origin they will send you a new one.

Origin's are GREAT!!

Last edited by Nevetas; 25 December 2004 at 02:31 PM.
Old 26 November 2004, 12:27 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nevetas
If you call Origin they will send you a new one.

Origin's are GREAT!!
That's what i did
Old 26 November 2004, 02:00 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Steve

Might want to try velcro which is what I have - you can get some extra strong stuff from Halfords and then you get the option to move it if required. As I have now hardwired my b2 into the car, it's all sorted (but have it in the centre of the dash rather than the right hand side due to the a pillar boost gauge being there). However, managed to get all the cables down the side and back of the dash so hardly any are visble (let me know if anyone wants pics?).

The only thing I have found is that I hard wired the paoer cable into the cigar lighter - and on full acceleration, the laser goes off!!! WTF? Pain so had to turn the laser detector off at present. Origin say is should not be wired to here but a smoother power line such as the radio - 1 - that's a pain to get to and 2 - why did the standard lighter connection work fine? They have yet to answer my email on this.

Hope this helps...
Andy
Old 26 November 2004, 02:16 PM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
Steve

Might want to try velcro which is what I have - you can get some extra strong stuff from Halfords and then you get the option to move it if required. As I have now hardwired my b2 into the car, it's all sorted (but have it in the centre of the dash rather than the right hand side due to the a pillar boost gauge being there). However, managed to get all the cables down the side and back of the dash so hardly any are visble (let me know if anyone wants pics?).

Hope this helps...
Andy
Andy,
I had thought about mounting it centrally - but it looked a nightmare to manage the cables. Also I have a TomTom Go to mount, and was planning to put this somewhere central.

Does the velcro hold the cradle still? I have had alot of problems with the Origin jumping out - resorted to an elastic band to hold it in eventually.

If you have some pics of your install, could you mail them to me (szgr@hotmail.com)?

Cheers

Steve
Old 26 November 2004, 02:31 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve

The only thing I have found is that I hard wired the paoer cable into the cigar lighter - and on full acceleration, the laser goes off!!! WTF? Pain so had to turn the laser detector off at present. Origin say is should not be wired to here but a smoother power line such as the radio - 1 - that's a pain to get to and 2 - why did the standard lighter connection work fine? They have yet to answer my email on this.

Hope this helps...
Andy
Andy
I had this and there was some discussion on here about it. I got really frustrated with Origin who never replied to emails . Eventually I phoned and everything was sorted in about 10 minutes
They sent me a ferrite FOC which you pass the power cable through and it takes out the power surges that cause the laser to go off. Sorted with no further problems.

Nick
Old 26 November 2004, 03:08 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Does the origin give a warning if the laser detector is not connected?
Old 26 November 2004, 03:22 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Does the velcro hold the cradle still? I have had alot of problems with the Origin jumping out - resorted to an elastic band to hold it in eventually.
If you phone Origin they will send you 2 more magnets & a sticky pad for free to put in the unit and that will stop the thing jumping out of the cradle

Granby
Old 26 November 2004, 03:23 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Does the origin give a warning if the laser detector is not connected?
Don't think so
Old 27 November 2004, 09:48 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

It does not give a warning if not connected, - only a warning if turned off via the unit (it double beeps in its set-up turning-on phase.)

Steve
Velcro works fine, and holds it in place nicely. I have just sent my unit back because it's got something loose in-side - it's now returned and I find the velcro holds it so firmly that it actually causes the unit to rattle - the less strong velcro previously held it in place but allowed some movement, so I may revert back to that.

As for the mounting, you have, at the gap between the windscreen and sdah, a bit of foam, that allows the cable, with the aid of a thin screwdriver, to easily be pushed behind the foam thus hiding it. This runs all the way. The only slight problem I found was that the length of cable from the cradle to the connectors was just at the end of the dash - but if you push them down one by one, they will fit between the gap of the A pillar and the dash. Take out the glovebox (easy to do), and use a torch and you will see them - pull them through and off you go. My laser detector is mounted behind the rear view mirror (which blocks the rear facing sensor but...) and the cable easily goes in between the windscreen and roof lining (lots of gaps on the Scooby's!) and runs dow behind the A pillar - again, all done without removing anything.

Nick - I had the Ferrite collar, only because with my previous cars I had a daily runner (Rover 214) and a Porsche 993. The Porker was fine - in the Rover, everytime you used the horn, the laser detector went off. They sent me the collar and it made not a bit of difference. WIll have to try and find it for this one and give it a go so thanks for the tip.

OK, question you for all. Has anyone had a legitimate laser detector go off. I've had my b2 now for almost 15 months and it has NEVER gone off. That could be chance, I know, and it's all wired in correctly, but either I've been lucky or I it's crap. Any thoughts...

Cheers

Andy
Old 28 November 2004, 05:13 PM
maxim
Scooby Regular

Rover, everytime you used the horn, the laser detector went off.
when you say the lazer detector went off do you mean it said 'lazer warning' on the display?
Old 29 November 2004, 04:25 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Yep - it said the word 'LASER' in CAPS if I recall... and beeped like buggery. No doubt is was a laser is thought it has detected...

A
Old 29 November 2004, 05:07 PM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody had any issues with Origin and headunit. I wired Origin in over the weekend, and had several trial runs past local camera - beeped every time. This morning, plug Origin in (using Origin cable in cigarette lighter socket), finds satelites, then I put face off on headunit, it powers up, Origin goes off???

The cigarette lighter doesn't seem to work now, although I don't know if it worked before, I intend to try my TomTom Go when I get home to see if the socket has packed up, but in the meanwhile, any ideas???

Steve
Old 30 November 2004, 10:53 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Got my origin wired up using the *** lighter and had no probs with my stereo. I'm no electrical whizz but try checking your fuses - maybe the one for the headunit / *** lighter has the wrong rated fuse in.
Old 30 November 2004, 03:23 PM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

All working now, but it kept dropping the connection to the satelites, so a reposition of the gps antenea is a job for the weekend, as well as fitting mud flaps, strut brace, and clear indicators
Old 30 November 2004, 07:04 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

are the Origin B2's any good then boys? i've been thinking about getting a detector for a while but couldn't decide on which one to buy, do they actually work? if yes, how much warning do they give you for laser guns and gatso's etc? are they better than a Road Angel?
Old 30 November 2004, 08:08 PM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

My Origin has always been good, for spotting gatso's gives about 15 secs or 500 metres warning - plenty of time to hit the brakes should you need to .

I have never had the laser detector go off, so I don't know how effective that is.
Old 30 November 2004, 09:59 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave uk blue mica
are the Origin B2's any good then boys? i've been thinking about getting a detector for a while but couldn't decide on which one to buy, do they actually work? if yes, how much warning do they give you for laser guns and gatso's etc? are they better than a Road Angel?
They are very good, buy one
Old 01 December 2004, 09:36 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Only had my laser detector go off once, and there weren't and scamera vans anywhere to be seen.

Also, I've been through 2 traps and it still hasn't gone off - one was in a line a line of traffic and Jasoon was the front with his Road Angel 2 which he tells me went mental, and my origin never peeped - although there was about 8 cars between us and I was tailgating the car in front of me so he couldn't target my reg plate.
Old 01 December 2004, 12:55 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nevetas
They are very good, buy one
I second that
Old 01 December 2004, 03:34 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

My Origin has always been good, for spotting gatso's gives about 15 secs or 500 metres warning - plenty of time to hit the brakes should you need to .

I have never had the laser detector go off, so I don't know how effective that is.
And you have the ability to set the warning, so you can change it to give you more or less depending on what you like. I like the flexibility of the unit and have never found a camera it did not like, other than some of the M25 roadworks which were there for about a week before the database was updated...

Certainly recommend one..
Old 09 December 2004, 01:29 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Nick - I had the Ferrite collar, only because with my previous cars I had a daily runner (Rover 214) and a Porsche 993. The Porker was fine - in the Rover, everytime you used the horn, the laser detector went off. They sent me the collar and it made not a bit of difference. WIll have to try and find it for this one and give it a go so thanks for the tip.

OK, question you for all. Has anyone had a legitimate laser detector go off. I've had my b2 now for almost 15 months and it has NEVER gone off. That could be chance, I know, and it's all wired in correctly, but either I've been lucky or I it's crap. Any thoughts...

Cheers

Andy
Andy
With the ferrite, you can improve the suppression by passing the power lead through it more than once. Ideally you should pass the power lead through the middle, around the outside and back through the middle again. If you want to go for another loop it should be even better. Keep the cable short and tight aroung the outside of the ferrite.

Since fitting my ferrite I've had several genuine laser warnings and no false alarms. Once I was sitting behind a queue of six cars doing about 50 on a 70 dual carriageway, alarm went off and 200yds up the road was a Police man at side of road with hair dryer. Another time I was on a dual carriageway and saw what I thought might be a scamera van about half a mile away. Eased off the gas to slow down slightly from about 80 and the warning went off as I got to 73 at about quarter mile range.

Have had some no show's though - doing about 25 in a 30, saw man in van with gun on tripod, looking straight at me from less than 100m - nothing. He may not have had it on, or it may have been below the Origin speed warning threshold ? Wondered if you needed to be further away to get the scatter or wander as the operator targets you. Close up might be too easy for them to target the plate accurately. Detector mounted in middle at base of windscreen BTW.

Origin - Excellent bit of kit, very effective for fixed cameras (including temporary) but doubtful benefit against laser guns, coz it's probably too late by the time it goes off. If you react quickly enough you may be able to hit the brakes and if you're lucky they may take a couple of readings to verify your speed. B2 also now feeds GPS date to my iPaq with TomTomNav on it
Old 09 December 2004, 01:48 PM
maxim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick100
B2 also now feeds GPS date to my iPaq with TomTomNav on it
how do you do that?
Old 10 December 2004, 02:07 PM
Nick100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maxim
how do you do that?
I meant data not date

The B2 has an RS232 output of the GPS data in a standard format called NMEA. You can enable/disable the output from one of the menus.

The long awaited cable from Origin with an extra socket for this serial data never materialised (and was going to be a bit pricey at around £50), so I found out which pin the data is on (5 or 6 IIRC). I tried to fit an extra wire inside the harness sleeve along the length of the cable - bad idea. So I decided I was unlikely to use the laser jammer, and moved the pin in the O2 adapter from the laser jammer to pin 5 or 6 (?). I then had RS232 data going to the laser jammer socket on the cable harness. With a stereo jack plug I got the serial data in to a TomTom car cradle and so "Robert's your mothers live in lover !"

It took a while to work it all out, but works a treat. The serial data output was one reason I chose the O2 and the neatness of being able to install it. Besides that I still think it's probably the best on the market.
Old 10 December 2004, 05:35 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Nick100,

You say that the NMEA is a standard data output - is the connector on the back of the B2 a 9-pin DIN? If it is and the pinouts are the same, I might be able to use the lead I already have between my road angel classic and ipaq 2210 (even with a new connector on the end)

I too was waiting for the "non-existant" interface cable and you might have given me a way out.. I was thinking along the lines of getting a B2 and having to dump my ipaq to get a TT Go

Any idea what the pinouts for the B2 / your cable are and I'll try to find out the RA ones? A wiring diagram would be ideal...

TIA

Andy
Old 10 December 2004, 10:46 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I've just figured out how you've done it as I've seen a piccy of the cradle and harness - I guess for Origin to supply a pda version would mean making a full new cradle etc to include the extra wire and this is where the cost comes in

How easy are the cradles to get into and is it only a single wire you have to shift or does the nmea output need a "+ve" and "-ve"? I'll have to go and have a look in my RA DIN connector to see how many wires that uses - it's only 1 or 2 AFAIR. As the wiring would be behind the dash for me, I could get hold of a female 9-pin DIN and male jack plug and make up a converter wire... (if it works )

Andy

Quick Reply: Mounting Origin B2