Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

door trim panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2001, 09:34 PM
mick s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am having the seats and door cards on my 95 WRX retrimmed.Does anyone know of a way to remove the fabric trimmed centre panel from the door card.Apparently some are screwed to the card but mine seems to be glued on.Any ideas on how to remove them without destroying them in the process? Thanks Michael.

[This message has been edited by mick s (edited 02 October 2001).]
Old 29 September 2001, 09:23 PM
t*mac
Scooby Regular

Hi Mick,these are stuck on with some seriously (i.e.impossible to remove) glue.
i'd remove the whole door trim panels and let them retrim them 'in situ'
Old 02 October 2001, 09:05 PM
mick s
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just to let everyone know that the glue on the door cards is very sticky but not impossible to remove.After removing the cards I gently heated the rear of the panel with a heat gun just enough to soften the adhesive.Some gentle pulling and off they came!!!
Old 23 October 2001, 11:20 AM
dannyn
Scooby Regular

I've also changed the trim card on my door panels. I did it cold, didn't have bottle to apply heat, actually used a large spoon handle but it is hard work. I removed 8 and refitted 4, the donor door cards were not a good match for my dash so I wanted to swap the trim cards. I did F*** one of them, fortunately one of the old ones. Refitted them with a hot glue gun.
Old 23 October 2001, 01:44 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Danny/Others

I'd be interested to know more information about how to change the hideous blue cloth door trim in MY95 to something a little plainer.

Was it easy to get the cloth trim off?
What trim did you use to replace it and how did you attach the trim?

More info would be gratefully received by me and I'm sure other MY95 owners!

Andy
Old 29 October 2001, 05:07 PM
dannyn
Scooby Regular

When I removed my inserts I found the best way was to work from the handle opening where they are not too stuck towards the edges. As I said in my earlier post I ended up using a table spoon handle, the spoon bit fits the hand and there are no sharp edges to do bad things to the fabric. I think, isn't hindsight wonderful, that a bit of heat would have made things easier, either a hot air gun or hairdrier. I think hot air guns get bl**dy hot so it might be too much, any comments mick?
As for sticking the new ones on I used a hot glue gun with no apparent problems, at least they are still there!
Old 05 November 2001, 08:18 PM
mick s
Scooby Regular

I used a 2 heat setting hot air gun on the low setting and heated the panel from BEHIND not from the front. Danny is correct to start at the handle side there seems to be less adhesive there.I retrimmed in a lovely blue fabric very similar to Subaru team colour which I am also having my seats trimmed in.It looks and feels similar to Alcantara but was only £15/m not nearer £50 for alcantara.The material was stuck on using Evostik I advise using 2 coats letting the first coat soak in and dry then apply second coat and cover while still tacky.I stuck the panels on to the door cards with bodypanel adhesive Stikaflex I think its called which is very similar to the original.Take your time with this job dont rush and you will get a factory look with a little care.When i get the whole interior done I'll try and make photos available.While Im here does anyone know where to source blue lap and diagonal seat belts?
Old 07 November 2001, 05:28 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Mick,

Do you know what's the name of the material you bought? Where would I get this kinda stuff from?

I can't wait do the mod myself and brighten up the interior. But I've not found a place to source the material in the Nottingham area.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 07 November 2001, 07:56 PM
mick s
Scooby Regular

Andy,
The colour of the material was Royal Blue but as for the trade name....... I'll ask the supplier what it is called and if he can point you in the direction of a supplier in your neck of the woods.Northern Ireland may be a bit too far for you to travel!!!!! Leave it with me I'll get back to you ASAP.
Michael