Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2001, 09:42 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi, i've just bought a momo steering wheel and am wondering how to fit it?
How do i take the old wheel off (97my) without setting off the airbag, and will the airbag warning light stay on all the time
Cheers
Robby.

[This message has been edited by robby (edited 02 May 2001).]
Old 03 May 2001, 10:54 AM
aziz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Always wanted to do the same .Got an my'99

However it is not a DIY job ,so I hope someone can shed some light on the matter.

Best of luck
Old 03 May 2001, 02:03 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robby,

Fitting is fairly easy. You'll need a torque wrench & suitable socket, a suitable "star-shaped-allen-key-thingy, a small flat-blade screwdriver and a replacement nylon washer (or some torque-lock compound such as threadlock). I've only done this on a MY95, the only difference may be the airbag connector (more details later).

If the airbag connector is the same as the one on the wheel then the whole thing only takes about 30min. The steps are as follows (this is all from memory, so I might miss something out, sorry!)

REMOVING
1) Pop the bonnet and disconnect the battery - don't forget to disable your alarm system first otherwise it'll deafen you when it goes off!
2) Wait at least 15min and then take the star-allen key and unscrew the airbag retaining screws. These are on the back of the wheel, and are recessed.
3) Take the airbag off the wheel - may require a little bit of fiddling, but should come out with little or no force required to loosen it.
4) Then you must unplug the yellow airbag connector. This can be the fiddly bit and it will either uplug easily when the connectors release catch is pressed or will be a real b*tch! If it is not cooperating, use the small flat blade screwdriver to gently prise apart the connector body and it will then release
5) Disconnect the horn connector
6) Use the torque wrench to undo the steering wheel retaining nut, remove the nut and washer and you can then remove the wheel. May require a little bit of force and "wiggling" to pursuade it off the splines!

NOTE ABOUT CONNECTOR: The MY95 has a different airbag connector than the MY99/MY00. If the MY97 is the same as the MY95 then you will have to either
a) Source the correct corresponding half of the connector and replace the car-side connector with this new part, or
b) Take the connector off the old wheel and graft it onto the new wheel (this is what I did).

REMOUNTING:
This is pretty straightforward apart from centering the wheel! It took me a little time and I'm sure there is a better way to do this, but I basically mounted the wheel using the locating lugs and then put the nut on and lightly tightened it and drove on a camberless road to judge if the wheel was on straight. If anyone else has a better method please let me know.
Oh yeah, don't forget to replace the nylon washer, or use some threadlock. Re-assembly everything and bobs-your-uncle, no more sweaty-plastic steering wheel!

I must do some work now, but I hope this was of help. If you require any more information please drop me a line,

cheers,

Andy

[This message has been edited by andyp (edited 03 May 2001).]
Old 03 May 2001, 09:56 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Cheers for that Andy. Just waiting for graham goode to send me the boss kit which should have been here by now
Robby