Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Centre Glovebox Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2001, 12:48 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chiark,

Thanks for your response. I've known about your website for some time... v.good and I have used it as a reference before. I plan on getting a Forrester pod to go in place of the central glove box. Initially I was going to fit three gauges, but I am looking into colour digital screen which can graphically simulate a number of gauges as well as offering other features. Need to look into this further....though, I remember one advertised in a Japanese Tuning mag not that long ago.

Nito,
I knew that you would be the best man to explain this one. Thanks for your input, I reckon I can sort it with the information you gave me, if I get stuck I might take you up on the fax offer; Thank You. For the record, the gauge is from DemonTweeks - bargain for £17, the only ar*e is that you have to trim and file the pod to fit your pillar. This is time consuming but rewarding if you get it right.

Anyway best go and earn a living... need more mods.

Tom
Old 06 April 2001, 04:04 AM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Question

I need to remove the centre glove box piece, which on my MY00 inclusdes the centre air vents.

I removed the screw behind the little blanking panels (& the ones behind the cupholder..is this required) but the plastic tray and air vents still feel attached somewhere, can anyone confirm wheter this is the case.

Additionally, how do I remove the centre console which houses the radio, heater controls etc?

Finally how do I get the section around the gear lever out?... This is because I am in the process of completing the job shown below

Old 06 April 2001, 07:07 AM
JasonR
Scooby Newbie

Houlbt,
you have mail.
hope it helps you.
JasonR.
Old 06 April 2001, 08:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

There's full instructions on my site for gauges -
Old 06 April 2001, 08:26 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Oh, and for the centre console, that's even more worryingly easy.

Remove the radio
Pull up the centre surround between the gear lever and hand brake - it just pops up.
Disconnect the front of the gear lever surround from the centre fascia
Gently pull the bottom of the centre fascia to work it slightly loose
There's two tabs at the top edge of the fascia which have metal clips on them. GENTLY work the top edge out, and try to keep the clips on the plastic. Something magnetic may help for when they're stuck in the hole that's left

Be very careful with the bottom edge of the fascia, as it's extremely easy to mark the gear lever surround with the bottom of it! Mine looks bloody awful, but I only have myself to blame.

Nick.
Old 06 April 2001, 08:57 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Houlbt.

The centre vents. remove the two side screw under the blanking plugs and pull from the latch that the centre flip up bin clips onto. You will have to pull sort of upwards and towards you at a 45 degree angle. You can insert a screwdriver at the mid point of each side by the centre vents to ping it out each side first which will help but if you do this be very careful not to mark the dashboard especially if you are using a thin screwdriver as the dash will permanently crease very easily if you're not careful. But you can get it out just by pulling...make sure you have your weetabix first though

The radio console. I would remove the handbrake panel first...two screw under the middle cup holder hinged lid. This then pulls up. Then unscrew the gearknob and pull the gearlever console up. With the radio console, if you can remove the stereo first. Remove the ashtray. Then grip the rim above the bright light switch and underneath where the ashtray was and pull it towards you. It's held on by 4 little clips one in each corner so you just need to pull. Some of the clips may fall off and it's recommendable to fit new clips 50p each from dealer to prevent any rattles when you re-fit it.

Good luck..if you want graphic instructions mail me your fax number and I'll send them to you.

rgds
Nito

ps. where did you get that A-pillar pod from?
Old 06 April 2001, 09:25 PM
mccltd
Scooby Regular

I have managed to get the centre pocket out,,but even after taking out the two screws by the drinks holder that does not want to shift.
How do I remove the drinks holder,,its just that whoever had the car b4 me must have spilt coke or summin on it as it gets stuck and I want to clean it.
Old 06 April 2001, 09:35 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

MC,

There's a third screw below and in the centre, but you'll need to get the radio console out to access it. Alternatively you can just pull hard and the holder will come out of it's slot but if you move it sideways in the least you'll snap it. Have a look closely, if you push one of the plastic tabs at the side you may be able to remove it gently but I can't remember fully from memory!

Nito