Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

widetrack V's non-widetrack steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2017, 12:15 PM
EndaITR
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Default widetrack V's non-widetrack steering wheel

Are they swappable ? or does anybody know if their is a dimension-able difference between the 2 ?

I have a 2003 sti non-widetrack (silver center) wheel that I was going to get re trimmed, but have though about getting a widetrack steering wheel (black center) if it "feels" better ? ie. thicker grip, or smaller etc ? Is it any different ?
Old 01 March 2017, 12:33 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Both wheels feel same in thickness pointless buying a widetrack one if you get yours re trimmed it might come back chunkier best wheel for that chunky feeling has to be a DAMD item

For a damd item you'll need the widetrack airbag or the hawk wrx one
Old 01 March 2017, 03:10 PM
EndaITR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ZANY
Both wheels feel same in thickness pointless buying a widetrack one if you get yours re trimmed it might come back chunkier best wheel for that chunky feeling has to be a DAMD item

For a damd item you'll need the widetrack airbag or the hawk wrx one

Thanks man, think ill just retrim mine a lil thicker, I actually prefer the silver center wheel to the black center style wheel.
Old 01 March 2017, 03:22 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Different airbag & wheel. You'll need to buy the widetrack airbag too if you're changing the wheels. The later Subaru wheels like the widetrack or hawk sti wheels look much more modern IMO.
Old 03 March 2017, 11:30 AM
Ste333
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my friend just got his widetrack Hawk steering wheel retrimmed by a guy who goes by "Royal Steering wheels". They made the wheel slightly chunkier and changed the covering to perforated leather all round with pink stitching. It has a great feel now. And it only cost about £150. Considerably cheaper than a DAMD - unless you really want the flat bottom.
Old 03 March 2017, 11:39 AM
EndaITR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ste333
my friend just got his widetrack Hawk steering wheel retrimmed by a guy who goes by "Royal Steering wheels". They made the wheel slightly chunkier and changed the covering to perforated leather all round with pink stitching. It has a great feel now. And it only cost about £150. Considerably cheaper than a DAMD - unless you really want the flat bottom.

Yeah thats the route im going to go aswell, their is a place here in ireland that does it
Old 03 March 2017, 11:57 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Ste333

Apart from the DAMD wheel being thicker than the standard STI steering wheel, it's also slightly smaller in diameter. This really improves the feel IMO.