Interior Gauges, steering wheels, seats etc

Harness bar

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2016, 07:05 AM
jfreer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness bar

Is anyone selling a harness bar and harness to fit a blobeye?
Old 01 October 2016, 08:05 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't touch one personally, they're all kinds of dangerous.
Old 01 October 2016, 08:55 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by neil-h
I wouldn't touch one personally, they're all kinds of dangerous.
Why's that?
Old 02 October 2016, 08:37 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

It ultimately all comes down to what happens in a crash and the assumption that odds are he wants a harness bar to use harnesses with out a full cage. When all is said and done there's a vast number of scenarios where really nasty things can happen that wouldn't have happened without harnesses.
Old 02 October 2016, 10:52 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking about one myself as the car will be entered in the road going production class for hillclimbing so no cage at this point. I would have thought a harness bar would be a useful bit of kit?
Old 03 October 2016, 12:10 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

It is if you have no intention to ever have rear seat passengers again,I think that is why the member said they are dangerous.For just you and a front seat passenger their is not a problem and it's a perfect solution for harnesses.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 03 October 2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03 October 2016, 12:20 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

OK that's fine then, the car won't be carrying any people who may have their faces mashed into it
Old 03 October 2016, 11:11 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

A harness bar will be strong enough to hold you in place when driving but offers very little protection in the event of a crash. I looked into getting one and decided against it, In a medium to hard front end collision you could easily end up hitting the steering wheel. A seat belt is a much safer option. If its for occasional track day use then you would be better off making something up and mounting the harness to the rear seatbelt mounting points.

Last edited by Dubzy; 03 October 2016 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04 October 2016, 06:51 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
It is if you have no intention to ever have rear seat passengers again,I think that is why the member said they are dangerous.For just you and a front seat passenger their is not a problem and it's a perfect solution for harnesses.SJ.
I'd completely forgotten about this thread

Anywho. At the end of the day you really need to go the whole hog or not at all. The last thing you want is to be firmly strapped into the drivers seat if the car is going to collapse around you in a crash. Then there's the amount of force you're putting through your neck in a front end impact assuming you're not using a HANS device.
Old 04 October 2016, 06:59 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I'd completely forgotten about this thread

Anywho. At the end of the day you really need to go the whole hog or not at all. The last thing you want is to be firmly strapped into the drivers seat if the car is going to collapse around you in a crash. Then there's the amount of force you're putting through your neck in a front end impact assuming you're not using a HANS device.
I agree with you about fitting a complete solution i.e a Rollcage,but for the sole purpose of fitting a pair of harnesses a harness bar is completely Fine,i don't think anyone in their right mind would fit a harness bar for Crash protection...they would have to be a complete Dick head to think that a harness bar would save their life with their car on its roof Lol.SJ.
Old 04 October 2016, 09:08 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Thing is, you can't put a cage in and compete in the road going class in hillclimbing, as far as I am aware. It would have to be Production Modified or something along those lines.

I had no idea people considered a harness bar unsafe though. It's attached to the car in multiple locations so I'd have thought it would hold better than the shoulder strap seatbelt mounting if anything.
Old 04 October 2016, 09:22 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
Thing is, you can't put a cage in and compete in the road going class in hillclimbing, as far as I am aware. It would have to be Production Modified or something along those lines.

I had no idea people considered a harness bar unsafe though. It's attached to the car in multiple locations so I'd have thought it would hold better than the shoulder strap seatbelt mounting if anything.

Sparco bar after a meduim front ender.
Old 04 October 2016, 09:31 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

What do Sparco make their harness bar out of?...Paper Mache.SJ.
Old 05 October 2016, 11:02 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

That doesn't look good but surely it wouldn't bend like that from a straightforward front smash as the force wouldn't be in the spot where the bar has bent? Looks very strange.
Old 05 October 2016, 11:46 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are dangerous without a rollcage as said above.

Would not ever consider fitting one to my car or using it!

The whole point is if you flip the car the normal seatbelt allows you to slide down as the roof comes in, a harness and harness bar will not allow that.harness' with a cage do not need to let you slide down as the roof shouldnt come in on you.

Much the same as in a front impact the cage transfers energy around you and the impact force on the person is less, where as a harness bar will not do that and likely to fold/impale/cause neck injury, let alone the massive internal damage possible from rapid deceleration. This is why seatbelts stretch etc to slow the deceleration of your internal organs.

Wouldnt catch me in a car in harnesses without a rollcage, or for that fact in a car with a cage and no harness!!!!! Both equally dangerous.

And also i doubt the msa would let you run a harness bar unless approved etc?

Last edited by JGlanzaV; 05 October 2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05 October 2016, 11:54 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I think you can, but yeah doesn't sound like such an attractive option now.

Will a seatbelt still fasten up securely when using bucket seats? Without having them here to look at I don't know how deep the bolsters are.
Old 05 October 2016, 12:50 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I think you can, but yeah doesn't sound like such an attractive option now.

Will a seatbelt still fasten up securely when using bucket seats? Without having them here to look at I don't know how deep the bolsters are.

If a harness bar is the way you are thinking of doing it...Go for it.Their has been alot of scaremongering on this thread,i have a few mates that have a harness bar fitted to their cars for years now and they do track days on a regular with zero problems,even Frayz had one fitted to his Bomber for years until he decided to go full WRC cage,So my advice is if you want one fitted...as it is part of "your" plans then go for it i doubt you will be dooming yourself to destruction,i hope not anyway.SJ.
Old 05 October 2016, 03:14 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

I wasnt trying to scaremonger, was just making sure the op was aware of the safety aspects of having one fitted. I decided safety outweighed function and thats why i decided against having one fitted. I would of liked the extra support too for trackdays but without having a cage fitted, which i wont because its still a road car, the factory seatbelt is the safest option. I just lower my seat to the lowest position, put my belt on and then raise the seat and i find that holds me in place very well
Old 06 October 2016, 05:40 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Killer B now make one which picks up on the C pillars and goes basically across the top of the parcel shelf. It doesn't interfere with any of the rear seat area and you can take passengers without any safety issues.
My car never had rear seats so was never a problem.
Old 06 October 2016, 07:28 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

If a harness bar is the way you are thinking of doing it...Go for it.Their has been alot of scaremongering on this thread,i have a few mates that have a harness bar fitted to their cars for years now and they do track days on a regular with zero problems,even Frayz had one fitted to his Bomber for years until he decided to go full WRC cage,So my advice is if you want one fitted...as it is part of "your" plans then go for it i doubt you will be dooming yourself to destruction,i hope not anyway.SJ.
Have any of your mates had major crashes while the harness bar has been fitted??? , as all the problems relate to accidents so of course they wouldn't of had any problems if they haven't crashed lol ,, info from someone who has had a nice crash with one fitted would be good ,,, I had a hard front end smash in my blob with harnesses fitted (fitted properly but no harness bar or rear seats) and one of the eye holes they are attached to was ripped clean out of the mounting so I use my seat belts now lol
Old 06 October 2016, 09:31 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

I agree with you about fitting a complete solution i.e a Rollcage,but for the sole purpose of fitting a pair of harnesses a harness bar is completely Fine,i don't think anyone in their right mind would fit a harness bar for Crash protection...they would have to be a complete Dick head to think that a harness bar would save their life with their car on its roof Lol.SJ.
It's not just putting the car on its roof though. If you have a big front end impact (I.e. Into a tyre wall) then an inertia reel belt will decelerate the whole body slowly. A harness (without HANS device) keeps everything still, except the head. So your neck is now doing the job of a seatbelt and trying to stop the mass of your head/helmet in a crash.

Originally Posted by frayz
Killer B now make one which picks up on the C pillars and goes basically across the top of the parcel shelf. It doesn't interfere with any of the rear seat area and you can take passengers without any safety issues.
My car never had rear seats so was never a problem.
You're still putting a large lump of metal in the area someone's face might occupy in a crash. Not something I'd fancy sitting behind.
Old 06 October 2016, 09:33 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

You're still putting a large lump of metal in the area someone's face might occupy in a crash. Not something I'd fancy sitting behind.
Surely not if it's bolted to c-pillar and above parcel shelf,

If ur face ends up in there during a crash id guess it's game over
Old 06 October 2016, 10:04 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Surely not if it's bolted to c-pillar and above parcel shelf,

If ur face ends up in there during a crash id guess it's game over
My bad, should've read that post properly That being said I can't work out how you'd get one across the c pillar with out something being in the area a head could impact it.
Old 06 October 2016, 11:42 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
Have any of your mates had major crashes while the harness bar has been fitted???
To answer your question YES,Otherwise i would not of mentioned it nothing major but enough to write the car off and had to get it rebuilt,He said to me that was the only thing that was still straight Lol.By the sounds of things you have had a bad experience with one fitted but not everyone has the same experience,to sum this up you won't fit one....but another guy will end of story.SJ.
Old 06 October 2016, 12:16 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Well what I have taken from this is that if I do run one, I will run a Hans device too. I bought a helmet with the capability just in case I decided to use one at some point.

Frayz, never heard of Killer B. I'll get on Google and see what I can find. Any opinions on who does the best bar?
Old 06 October 2016, 12:20 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Wow. Killer B = $575 + $150 postage
Old 06 October 2016, 12:44 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Well what I have taken from this is that if I do run one, I will run a Hans device too. I bought a helmet with the capability just in case I decided to use one at some point.

Frayz, never heard of Killer B. I'll get on Google and see what I can find. Any opinions on who does the best bar?
It makes a lot of sense, you can get an entry level HANS device for around £250. Which really isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things given what it costs to go racing.

If it were me I'd still rather use an inertia reel belt over a harness/harness bar set up but at least with a HANS device your limiting the risk of one of the more likely causes of injury in a crash (let's be honest, cars don't roll often).

Last edited by neil-h; 06 October 2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06 October 2016, 12:51 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

To answer your question YES,Otherwise i would not of mentioned it nothing major but enough to write the car off and had to get it rebuilt,He said to me that was the only thing that was still straight Lol.By the sounds of things you have had a bad experience with one fitted but not everyone has the same experience,to sum this up you won't fit one....but another guy will end of story.SJ.
Just asking the question as you said a few of your mates so I didn't assume they all had accidents or if they did your friends need to learn how to drive better (joke intended)

My accident also led me to have a full Wrc cage fitted
Old 06 October 2016, 01:41 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Killer B = $575 + $150 postage
Its not cheap stuff, but you will struggfle to find better quality anywhere else....
Old 06 October 2016, 02:42 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a 4 point harness you still get the submarine effect with a harness bar like you do with a seatbelt, only with a 5 or 6 point you wont

Quick Reply: Harness bar