Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back dated prmiums?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2009, 10:08 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back dated premiums?

I've just phoned to query my wife's insurance renewal which seems rather expensive - £579 on a Tribeca. A quick search on confused.com suggests £360 to be closer to the mark.
The company checked all the details and told me that they didn't have details of a 3 point SP50 I got back in 2007. Instead of coming back with a more competitive quote they added another £80 to the £579 and told me I owed them £100 for not telling them about the points in the past.
I'm pretty sure I did tell them at the last renewal but have no proof of this. My insurance companies (bike and car) have the details.

Where do I stand with this? I will obviously be renewing my wife's policy elsewhere but I've never heard of this back dated stuff. Is this just a means of getting extra cash when they know they're going to lose a policy?
Old 06 January 2009, 11:52 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Just to be clear about what I don't understand......:

If I didn't declare a conviction on my own policy and had an accident, I would expect my claim to be disallowed.
If that is the case then I was effectively uninsured when driving this car last year. Therefore what is the backdated payment for?

We have two cars and three motorbikes. The policies for all of the other vehicles were updated when I got the points - this is why it seems unlikely to me we would have forgotten this one.
Old 07 January 2009, 07:28 PM
whataz
Scooby Regular

Default insurance

howdo, it all depends on the company really, as long as the insurance company would accept the 'undeclared information' as a rating facto and still quote you a price they would not leave you uninsured. however before any payments in respect of repairing your vehicle the additional payment would be requested. as for requesting a backpayment i believe them to be right (in the eyes of insurance) to request the funds from you. as if you had declared some thing extra and had it removed they would be liable to give you the refund. but if you kick up a bit of a fuss and are adament with them you informed the adviser and tell them to listen to the call (which i am 99% sure they will not do but even if they do it wont do any harm)) and say if you were aware of the increase at point of sale you would have accepted a cheaper quote elsewhere. that should do the rick but in insurance they can ask you for extra. hope this helps