Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question regarding NCD on 2nd car

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2006, 12:11 PM
Scooby New
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question regarding NCD on 2nd car

Last year I bought a 2nd car and tried to insure it with LV as my Scoob insurance was with them at the time. I had full protected NCD on my Scoob so therefore I had no NCD on my 2nd car. Unfortunately LV were not prepared to give me any discounts so couldn't provide a competitive quote. I found another insurance company who were prepared to mirror my full NCD onto my 2nd car, even tho the Scoob wasn't insured with them and so I insured my 2nd car with them.

It is now renewal time for the insurance on my 2nd car and the renewal notice states I have 5 years NCD, even though I've only had it a year.

My question is this - if I shop around for quotes, do I declare 1 years NCD or 5 years NCD???
Old 13 July 2006, 12:43 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Scoobynew,

Technically you have only 1 year and should explain this when obtaining rates, but it would be worth stating that they "matched" the bonus from the first car to the 2nd.

This way you are on the straight & narrow, as the prospective underwriters in question can make their own decision. Im sure there will be some out there that will accept the 65% 5 year discount.

You will also find that the Underwriters that do not accept the 5 years will still allow a 65% 1yr concession.

Kind regards

Tony

Originally Posted by Scooby New
Last year I bought a 2nd car and tried to insure it with LV as my Scoob insurance was with them at the time. I had full protected NCD on my Scoob so therefore I had no NCD on my 2nd car. Unfortunately LV were not prepared to give me any discounts so couldn't provide a competitive quote. I found another insurance company who were prepared to mirror my full NCD onto my 2nd car, even tho the Scoob wasn't insured with them and so I insured my 2nd car with them.

It is now renewal time for the insurance on my 2nd car and the renewal notice states I have 5 years NCD, even though I've only had it a year.

My question is this - if I shop around for quotes, do I declare 1 years NCD or 5 years NCD???
Old 13 July 2006, 03:32 PM
GingerbreadMan
Scooby Regular

I don’t mean to hijack your thread, but I have a similar question regarding NCD and a 2nd car……….

I purchased a Scoob last year (as a weekend car) and kept my shabby Honda as my everyday car. I transferred 7 yrs NCD to my Scooby policy as this would improve costs etc, but I’m now seemingly paying through the nose to keep my Honda on the road as there is no NCD on that policy.

I believe I now have two policies which are both building up a NCD !

The question is, what happens to the NCD on my Honda when I decide to get rid ?? I obviously can’t just add it to my existing 7yrs NCD on the other policy!! - has anyone had an experience of this ?

Scoobynew, can you give me the details of the company that mirrored your NCD ?

Thanks. GBM
Old 13 July 2006, 03:41 PM
Scooby New
Scooby Regular

GBM,

Are both your cars insured through the same company or different companies?

My Scoob is now insured through Keith Michaels so I've just rung Gary Moulson and explained the situation. He has given me a quote for my Shogun with the same NCD as my Scoob

Steve
Old 13 July 2006, 04:29 PM
GingerbreadMan
Scooby Regular

Scoobynew,

My cars are with different insurance companies. My original company wouldn't touch me on the Scoob (just turned 25 at the time), so I had to look elsewhere. Cheers for the info on Keith Michaels - I'll give him a call

-Does anyone know what will happen to my other NCD??

Thanks.
Old 13 July 2006, 04:59 PM
Scooby New
Scooby Regular

I think if you were to sell the Honda at some point in time, whatever NCD you'd built up on that would be "parked" for a period of time (2 years rings a bell). If you bought another 2nd car within this period then you could use the NCD from the Honda against it, otherwise I guess you just lose it.

However, there are companies out there that give discounts for 2nd cars etc so it probably won't make that much difference tbh.
Old 13 July 2006, 09:17 PM
GingerbreadMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers for the info Scooby New. You're probably right in saying I'll just lose it! A 'parked' period does sound sensible, but all too nice for an insurance company - I'll have to look into that some more.

But like you say, I may as well spend my time on finding a company who'll insure my 2nd car.

Thanks again. GbM
Old 31 July 2006, 09:12 AM
redneck
Scooby Newbie

Sorry I also have a similar question
My everyday car is a L200 animal I would like a WRX wagon as a weekend car my current ins comp dont offer any policy that only covers limited miles can any one point me in the right direction.