Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

roll cage - premium killer?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2006, 09:37 PM
armogedden57
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roll cage - premium killer?

Hi guys, just thought id let you know, had my 98 classic insured with a-plan for a few months now, just added front splitter, crystal lights all round at front, and big brake conversion - premium only went up £27. just rung for a quote on adding bucket seats, harnesses, and a roll cage - only an extra £47!!!! bargin! (also the most the phone has rung when ive called them is 3 rings! i used to be on for ages with my old insurance) top job A-Plan!
Old 04 July 2006, 09:47 PM
jons
Scooby Newbie

but they are not replaced if you have a claim so isnt that a waste of money? i dont see why they charge you more when it wont cost them more if the car is crashed or nicked
Old 05 July 2006, 04:39 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Because you are more likely to crash it due to the new found bravado that comes from fitting the "I'm invincible, me" cage. So the premium rises as the risk is increased - you feel safer due to the cage, therefore will probably push the car that bit harder.

Not necessarily true in all cases, but certainly in the eyes of insurance companies, hence the rise.
Old 05 July 2006, 04:56 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by briforbes
Because you are more likely to crash it due to the new found bravado that comes from fitting the "I'm invincible, me" cage. So the premium rises as the risk is increased - you feel safer due to the cage, therefore will probably push the car that bit harder.

Not necessarily true in all cases, but certainly in the eyes of insurance companies, hence the rise.
Yep, and also more modifications increase the theft risk (in theory)
Old 05 July 2006, 06:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Heh!

I used to have PTMW! insured with NFU. I told them that I was putting in a cage for trackdays but that I would remove it when not. However, I told them that on occaison I would drive the car caged to/from the track concerned. They were so impressed that someone wanted to put a cage in their car to increase their safety that they didn't mind if I used it all the time! In writing too

I didn't though - I removed it every time.
Old 09 July 2006, 04:32 PM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Hi Armogedden,

If you ever get stuck..

Roll cages = zero premium change with most of our scheme underwriters

We also offer track cover with some of our policies, so if you are feeling "Mr Invincible" and wish to use the vehicle on track we can certainly assist you there

Kind regards

Tony