Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad experience - A Plan

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2006, 03:38 PM
*ScooDoo*
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad experience - A Plan

read a lot of praise here about a plan with how cheap they are.
does anyone have any bad experience of them?
i used to work in insurance and at the time wouldnt touch them with a barge pole, to many bad stories.
have they sorted them selves out or has nobody had to deal with them other than new policies?
have tried to get information from a friend in the indusrty but he just said he wouldnt use them but wouldnt say why.
Old 18 February 2006, 05:21 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

most on here are insured by them!
is there any bad storied out there
Old 18 February 2006, 05:26 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never/WILL NEVER be insured by them, so wouldn't possibly like to comment!!!
Old 18 February 2006, 05:38 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot are insured by them because they're trying to get a lot of our business. It's a gamble between getting loads of policies and the costs of having to pay out. Not sure who underwrites their policies though.

I maybe moving to them on Monday unless someone can beat their quote.
Old 18 February 2006, 05:50 PM
jons
Scooby Newbie

they did used markerstudy but dont know if they still do
i went to norwich union but under my mums name but lucko was best for in my own name
Old 18 February 2006, 05:58 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

I'm with them and my policy is under written by Markus Study.
Old 18 February 2006, 06:02 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add my service so far with them has been very good indeed.
Old 18 February 2006, 06:10 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Last edited by Moley; 26 February 2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old 18 February 2006, 09:36 PM
chrisola
Scooby Regular

when i phoned A-pan for a quote i'm pretty sure the guy said the cheapest they would do is with <insert guys name> insurance... i think it was keith michaels? (arent a plan just brokers?).

Will need to check out that..

Greenlight offered me £1392, same as Elephant.co.uk.
Old 19 February 2006, 05:31 PM
scooby24
Scooby Regular

I recently had to claim a total loss when insured through a-plan, It all went smoothly but a-plan did nothing to help at all. everything was delt with by markerstudy and very pleased with there service,
Not sure if a-plan as my agent should have done all the work though
Old 19 February 2006, 07:31 PM
Jim.
Scooby Regular

A-Plan gave me a dog dirt quote anyway, so i wont be using them anyway
Old 20 February 2006, 09:48 PM
Stupid Insurance
Scooby Regular

Privilege - £527 with approved tracker
Admiral - £737 without tracker

Greenlight - wouldn't quote for Manchester

Keith Michael's - it would be in excess of £900 so didn't bother quoting

A-Plan - £530 with Tracker, £490 without. They mentioned Marcus something as the underwriters. Looks like they're getting my business. If they're costs go up in future years, I can still go to Privilege, Admiral and probably Directline before the costs get to where KM were quoting.

Just rememer, you're only tied in for the year and if the renewal is too high, you're free to shop around. If others are losing business, lower their quotes
Old 23 February 2006, 09:36 AM
Tony@Greenlight
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Correct.

From what i know A Plan had a delegated scheme with Markerstudy who they have been putting all their Imprezas with, taking a chance (as stated above) that putting lots of money with that insurer will cover the eventual costs of the claims.
However, it would appear that Markerstudy have now lost a lot of money and are not very competitive on renewals. Therefore A Plan now have a new scheme with Equity, who they are now doing the same with as before.
This is all well and good, but if the same happens with this scheme they will need another insurer in a few months time. Which is good if they can, if not it could end up the same as the current Liverpool Victoria situation, where renewals may go up by a few hundred pounds.

On the other side of what happens, Keith Michaels and Greenlight (the 2 main other brokers people on here use) use much more careful underwriting, and will still quote cheap, but only if the circumstances are right. This way the insurer will not lose as much money, and will allow that broker to still use them, and give them very good renewal quotes.
Hence Greenlight and Keith Michaels have been insuring Subaru's for a number of years.

Nice research Moley,

Seems you guys at (KM) have a similar outlook to ourselves with regard to taking a longer term approach to rate consistency.

As you explained, by being selective rather than subsidising poor performing areas by loading good risks, we will both be able to maintain reasonable rates and offer policies with superior cover and benefits.

It isnt always popular with people that are outside of scheme criteria, but as they say "the need of the many outweighs the need of the few".

Kind regards

Tony
Old 23 February 2006, 10:04 PM
Stupid Insurance
Scooby Regular

Default Greenlihh

I appreciate the principal of insurance - if statistics state that 1 in 10 people will claim, the cost of the premiums must cover that claim, plus overheads, profit etc. But if you're going to refuse to cover an entire city (Greenlight for Manchester, plus any other areas?), its a little unfair to use a messageboard to criticise those who will take the risk.

Maybe A-Plan's strategy will fail in the long term, but, as a customer, they are offering me a service that I require and which you refuse to deliver. If their costs go up up next year, I can take my business elsewhere if I choose. This is not like buying a product, where the quality may be shoddy. The only way I will find out about A-Plan and their underwriters is if I have to make a claim. That's not something I plan to do and I hope the onlyy time I have to sperak to them is at renewal time.
Old 23 February 2006, 10:06 PM
Stupid Insurance
Scooby Regular

sorry about the spelling in my last post - I looked up at the telly and when I looked down the message had posted without me checking it