Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

second insurance legal question?

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2005, 03:13 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second insurance legal question?

I'm looking at buying a second car and know that you have to start up no-claims on this one - i.e. you cant take your full no-claims to a second vehicle (I know that there are quite a few companies that boost your no claims amount)

If lets say I assume that I insure a 2nd car on zero no claims and either I or say my wife have an accident in this car, does this mean that I wont lose my no-claims on the 1st car?

i.e. if I'm insuring a 2nd car with zero no claims and crashed it (theorectical) would I have to:

1. Declare this to my 'other' (primary) insurance company - class as an accident againt me - even though its a totally separate policy
2. Would I lose any no-claims on my primary insurance policy
3. If the wife drove the 2nd car with zero no claims and crashed it - would this effect her primary policy and also my primary policy?

Thanks.
Old 04 December 2005, 04:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding from having had three cars on three policies with three lots of no claims bonus and dealing with insurers over this is as follows...

The no claims bonus is with the policy, but you have to declare accidents to your other policy's insurance company at renewal.

It seems that they calculate a risk and then apply a no claims discount to it. So the other policy may well be loaded as a result of a fault claim on another policy.
Old 04 December 2005, 05:02 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks John
Would that then also apply for anyone making a claim on the secondary policy - sounds like it probably would

It still feels like an insurance scam that you cant transfer full no-claims to a second (or 3rd car) afterall its your history..................... I then feel more miffed that I'd be paying for two premiums and still would bear the full brunt of any claim (in terms of a potential accident against me)

All Hypothetical - I've never had a claim yet