Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-= 7900 For My Insurance =-

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2005, 06:55 PM
prodrive-turbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post -= 7900 For My Insurance =-

Im 19, passed 6 months ago and i got subaru imperza turbo 2000 prodrive awd,As my first car, ncb and they asking for 7900 pounds and thats third party only. I Need Help with Insurance !!!
Old 03 December 2005, 07:46 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Silly question, didnt you check how much it was likley to cost in insurance before you bought the car?

I would of thought it's going to cost a minimum of several thousand ££££ at your age
Old 03 December 2005, 08:10 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodrive-turbo
Im 19, passed 6 months ago and i got subaru imperza turbo 2000 prodrive awd,As my first car, ncb and they asking for 7900 pounds and thats third party only. I Need Help with Insurance !!!
dont moan just pay it and enjoy it or buy a fiesta like most other teenagers...easy
Old 03 December 2005, 08:19 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

You wont get insured if your under 25 nowadays as all the policies have chamged (as far as i know) but if somehow you find someone that will entertain scoob ownership at your age it will be around the 2.5k mark.Sell it and get a nova or saxo till ur a bit older
Old 03 December 2005, 08:36 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

you would think people would check if they can insure it first

Good luck dude
Old 03 December 2005, 08:42 PM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

As said why didn't you check before you bought car??
Old 03 December 2005, 09:05 PM
Caramel
Scooby Newbie

i have known thats some1 at 18 paid 1800 with elephant.

Trending Topics

Old 03 December 2005, 09:12 PM
abbiesdad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Caramel
i have known thats some1 at 18 paid 1800 with elephant.
you sure thats not with pink elephant
Old 03 December 2005, 09:19 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

if your gonna keep the car, then how about trying to insure it in ur mothers or fathers name or any person thats a lot older. u wont build up ncb but ull still have the car. to get ncb buy a sheddy banger like a nova or saxo hehe, and insure urself for that, by the time ur 25 ull have a nice ncb and will be able to have a scoob proper.

should have checked beforehand tho. classic turbo uk scoobs are group 17 and newer ones group 19, ull find it very hard to get insurance at 19, or even 24!
Rich
Old 03 December 2005, 09:47 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightwave693
if your gonna keep the car, then how about trying to insure it in ur mothers or fathers name or any person thats a lot older.
Of course, you wouldn't want to get caught fronting...or obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception as the old bill put it...carries as much as 5 year prison sentence!! At the very least the good old insurance company may choose not to pay out should you make a claim and they find out.

In case you were wondering, fronting is insuring in another name to get a much better premium...but check your policy, it will state the policy holder MUST be the main user. They WILL find out, trust me on this!!

And no i didn't get caught out, i'm a copper and my sister is in motor insurance. She gets at least one fronter a week. Can you risk to get nothing back on your Scooby if you right it off!!! Or worse have your insurance cancelled and have no third party cover should the worst happen and you seriously injure someone.....
Old 03 December 2005, 09:48 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Insuring a scooby under 25 isn't a problem, but under 21 you will struggle.

(If you are going to take an internet policy DO NOT get a 10 month bonus accelator)

If you only want 3rd party only cover and don't mind paying quite a few ££££ ring me on Monday and i'll see if I can do anything for you.
(Keith Michaels Insurance - 0208 6427868, ask for Gary Moulson)
Old 03 December 2005, 09:49 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by WRXPete
Of course, you wouldn't want to get caught fronting...or obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception as the old bill put it...carries as much as 5 year prison sentence!! At the very least the good old insurance company may choose not to pay out should you make a claim and they find out.

In case you were wondering, fronting is insuring in another name to get a much better premium...but check your policy, it will state the policy holder MUST be the main user. They WILL find out, trust me on this!!

And no i didn't get caught out, i'm a copper and my sister is in motor insurance. She gets at least one fronter a week. Can you risk to get nothing back on your Scooby if you right it off!!! Or worse have your insurance cancelled and have no third party cover should the worst happen and you seriously injure someone.....
All correct!!!!!
Old 03 December 2005, 11:13 PM
lightwave693
Scooby Regular

what i meant was

insure the car in ur mums name for example and you be a named driver.

you can tell the insurance who will be the main driver etc. so shouldnt be a problem. am i right in saying this?

Rich
Old 04 December 2005, 01:36 AM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Re: Lightwave693's post.

They would probably want him to take out a policy in his name with his mum as a named driver. It's worth asking for a quote with an older female added as a named driver, as mine dropped several hundred after adding my mother who will probably only drive the car in emergencies.
Old 04 December 2005, 02:18 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightwave693
am i right in saying this?
No.

The insurer will work out the premium based on who the main driver is and the risk that they represent. Main driver is 19; doesn't matter who's name the insurance is in - premium is based on a 19 year old main driver.
Old 04 December 2005, 05:09 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

I'm interested to know how they would find out who the main driver is? - how could they prove it?

I was going to use my mother many years ago on a second car, but for her to insure with no-no-claims against my full no claims (me 25 years old) didnt work out much cheaper.........

Saying that I know a lot of people who insure a second car for a younger driver. I personally would not do it - not for say a 19 year old driver - if they were on my policy as a named driver and wrote the car off i'd be very annoyed............
Old 04 December 2005, 07:00 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXPete

Great advice once again Pete

If only more people listened to wise words
Old 04 December 2005, 07:49 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Fangoria
I'm interested to know how they would find out who the main driver is? - how could they prove it?

I was going to use my mother many years ago on a second car, but for her to insure with no-no-claims against my full no claims (me 25 years old) didnt work out much cheaper.........

Saying that I know a lot of people who insure a second car for a younger driver. I personally would not do it - not for say a 19 year old driver - if they were on my policy as a named driver and wrote the car off i'd be very annoyed............
I have heard of cases where the insurance assessors have interviewed the neighbours of the person having the claim, asking them who drives the car.

Can also check on the database to see if the mother/father owns another car. Say for example the parent who is insuring the car owns another and the named driver doesn't it doesn't look great.
Old 04 December 2005, 07:54 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
I have heard of cases where the insurance assessors have interviewed the neighbours of the person having the claim, asking them who drives the car.

Can also check on the database to see if the mother/father owns another car. Say for example the parent who is insuring the car owns another and the named driver doesn't it doesn't look great.
Also they will check the documents you have. If there are invoices/reciepts in the young drivers name this gives them another reason the refuse to pay out.

At the end of the day insurance companies aren't as stupid as people might think. If the car belongs to you then insure it in your own name.

The only exclusion (in general) to this is where the husband/wife insure the car in the others name. Most insurance companies wil be fine with this.
Old 05 December 2005, 01:02 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

(If you are going to take an internet policy DO NOT get a 10 month bonus accelator)
Gary, can you be more specific about why not ?

Cheers
Allan
Old 05 December 2005, 01:29 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by AllanP
Gary, can you be more specific about why not ?

Cheers
Allan
Hi mate

With 'bonus accelerator' policies you'll find the only company which will honour the ncb is the company you are already with. When you ring around at renewal you will have to advise any company that you get a quote from that you only have 10 months NCB, not a whole year, and you will find most companies will rate your policy with 0 ncb.

Also....a lot of people think £1000 for 10 months is great when they have been quoted £1150 for 12 months. But do the sums and it doesn't work out cheaper, in fact a lot of times it is more expensive.
Old 05 December 2005, 03:15 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go for a 10 month accelerator bonus it is usually only for use with that insurer. If you swap the new insurer will not accept it as 1 years NCD and you have to start all over again!!

.....I got stung by that one
Old 05 December 2005, 03:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by prodrive-turbo
If this isn't a wind up (and I suspect it is) then all I can say is sell the car, as you're not going to get insured for anything like sensible money!! Even a third party fire a theft policy (not that many insurers will want to offer that on a performance car) will cost you £££££ Comments about bonus accelerator schemes and fronting are bang on!

NS04
Old 05 December 2005, 05:10 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Hi mate

With 'bonus accelerator' policies you'll find the only company which will honour the ncb is the company you are already with. When you ring around at renewal you will have to advise any company that you get a quote from that you only have 10 months NCB, not a whole year, and you will find most companies will rate your policy with 0 ncb.

Also....a lot of people think £1000 for 10 months is great when they have been quoted £1150 for 12 months. But do the sums and it doesn't work out cheaper, in fact a lot of times it is more expensive.
OK thanks, I only asked as both my kids are running these at the moment

The sums worked out the same, seemed like a good idea. So if you stay with the same company for a second year, can you claim 2 years NCB ?

Cheers
Allan
Old 05 December 2005, 05:14 PM
Moley
Sponsor

OK thanks, I only asked as both my kids are running these at the moment

The sums worked out the same, seemed like a good idea. So if you stay with the same company for a second year, can you claim 2 years NCB ?

Cheers
Allan
At the end of the 2nd year they'll have 1 yr 8 months, although at renewal if you explain the situation when ringing around you may find some companies who can help out.
Old 05 December 2005, 05:23 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

At the end of the 2nd year they'll have 1 yr 8 months, although at renewal if you explain the situation when ringing around you may find some companies who can help out.

OK thanks matey.

Why is insurance never simple, that was probably buried in the small print somewhere

Allan
Old 05 December 2005, 05:38 PM
Moley
Sponsor

OK thanks matey.

Why is insurance never simple, that was probably buried in the small print somewhere

Allan
Lol, i just work in it, i don't understand it!!!!
Old 05 December 2005, 05:43 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Worst case scenario, get 2 months insurance after the 10 months, then bingo years no claims - thats what I did many moons ago.
Old 05 December 2005, 05:50 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Worst case scenario, get 2 months insurance after the 10 months, then bingo years no claims - thats what I did many moons ago.
Doesn't work like that these days i'm afraid. Still not cost affective either.
Old 05 December 2005, 06:13 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

done deal!! 3895 Tpft

Thanks For Your Business...

Quick Reply: -= 7900 For My Insurance =-