Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble getting my Dutch import insured.

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2000, 12:06 AM
MickeyG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had trouble 'cos it came with transit plates and I picked up the car in Holland myself. At the time (5 weeks ago) most brokers could find an insurer who would accept the Chassis No. instead of the registration and insure it in the UK.

You probably will not have a problem, HOWEVER when I have called around today, more insurers seem to be refusing to insure mine - makes me suspect that something may be going on "behind the scenes" which we are not aware of, or am I just being paranoid?
Old 11 May 2000, 11:39 AM
MickeyG
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have just imported a new Impreza from Holland and have been experiencing difficulties with insurers.

Because I collected it myself - very few insurers would insure me prior to the car landing in the UK - I ended up with the AA (at a cost!!) close to £1200 for a 10 mile drive and ferry ride, as I believe £800 is nearer the going rate normally.

Now I am looking for a cheaper options, and am finding that lots of insurers still will not touch it, even though it is full UK spec.

Any advice?
Old 11 May 2000, 11:52 AM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm getting my car in June/July. It is being imported from Holland for me by a dealer. It will be first registered in the UK.

Do I need to tell the insurance company it is imported? It is a UK spec car so surely it makes no difference.

Old 11 May 2000, 01:44 PM
swa
Scooby Regular

Talking

MickeyG,

I hope you got the lights sorted BTW!

I got my MY00 from Holland also. It was really easy - the whole thing from start to end. I did the lot myself - it was interesting.

Admiral have been slagged at lot, but they were very helpful for me.

You tell them (eg Admiral) the Chassis # a week or 2 before going for the car. The dealer in Holland fax'ed that to me.
I still had another car so I arranged for a 2 week 3rd party extension cover on it. Cost for the 2nd car (old one) was low (£10-20 per week as it was an older motor - i cant remember exactly).
Admiral told me I needed a one day Green cover thingy which again was reasonable.

So you bring the car in on the Dutch export plates (valid for 1 week) and then just goto the DVLA office and bring all the docs with you.

The only grey area that I found was the time until I got the CAt 1 alarm fitted - although I had told them it wasn't fitted from the start - i'd said it will be fitted and the person just probably tapped that into the computer - so i had it on the end of a bit of string to my wee toe until the CAT 1 was on it.

My new quote is £615, but I hope to get that down judging by some previous peoples ages, postcodes, etc.

I hope this helps, and if you need any other importing info (links etc) let me know. I think I have a list somewere of importing friendly insurers - I have to find it though.

Right I'm off to sleep know ...speak again tomorrow....
Swa
Old 11 May 2000, 03:34 PM
MickeyG
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

SWA,

Cheers for the lights advice, I will try it when I get home.

I assume your new quote was from Admiral at £615, is this right?
Old 11 May 2000, 11:29 PM
swa
Scooby Regular

Yes 615 from Admiral. But I'll be calling around for other quotes and also try the one that was mentioned in an earlier thread as a discount one for SIDC members. I'm hoping for sub 500
Swa
Old 14 May 2000, 06:43 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
mick,
try "whatcar" insurance. they have been recommended on "importingimpreza" list. currently offering a 10 percent discount on imprezas! also "frizzel" 01202 752007 got a thumbs up. both will insure whem importing on the vin plate
cheers alan