Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2005, 08:52 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance nightmare

Got home tonight to a major headache on the answer phone.

a couple of months ago i ran into the back of a oldish lady when she changed her mind at a roundabout and slammed on the anchors. now i know its my fault and anticipation etc.. etc.... pulled over she said its just a scratch but was obviously a bit shook up over the whole thing. sat her down did my duty and told her we would need to exchange details.

turns out the scratch was a crease and i asked if we could go around get some quotes and i would see whether it was worth me paying up front rather than going through the insurance.

worked out at a little over 700 quid (bumper bracket respray and a little straightening to be done), at this point i was a week away from picking up my new cupra R and didnt fancy losing my no claims and paying stupid amounts of premium. so paid the money as it was better to take the hit once rather than every year from now till evermore.

got home tonight to a message on my answering machine that she's still suffering from whiplash and theyre going through the insurance after all.

where the hell do i stand now??

can i claim my money back less the excess?

oh and to make matters worse my renewal is due in a week

bah sodding humbug
Old 13 April 2005, 08:57 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Would that not be the old lady who selected reverse by mistake at a roundabout, going backwards into your car. As your vehicle wasn't really too badly damaged you sat with her to make sure she was ok, as any decent person would do before continuing on your merry way. Your friends who were with you at the time can of course confirm this...

This is why you didn't notify your insurance company about the prang and why she has nothing in writting from you about it being your fault. She must be mad.
Old 13 April 2005, 09:01 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

People in your car are not independant witnesses so wont make a difference. Guy (friend) who was in the car behind when it happened would do though

If you do say she reversed into you, you can both argue the toss but the insurance companies will end up going 50:50 and youll still lose you no claims.

AFAIK you cant claim the money you paid for her repair back from your insurance as you never went 'through' them at the time of the accident.

Best give them a ring and see what they say.

MArk
Old 13 April 2005, 09:02 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

i suppose denial is an option, although i'm an honest kinda bloke (about to be skint honest bloke)
Old 13 April 2005, 09:04 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

If you do say she reversed into you, you can both argue the toss but the insurance companies will end up going 50:50 and youll still lose you no claims.
And it's fraud, especially after publishing the actual version of events on a public website frequented by old ladies (pslewis).
Old 13 April 2005, 09:10 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

yes you should be able to claim back what you paid for her repairs, the company will prob want to get the invoice looked over by one of their engineers to ensure costs are reasonable then reimburse less excess, we do that anyway.

The problem with denying liability is that you paid her £700 lol
Old 13 April 2005, 09:11 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

That doesn't make any sense? If she has taken the money from you, doesn't that form an agreement? How long ago between payment and this?

If hse has actually performed the repairs, I think by accepting the money her insurance company will immediately lose interest as there is nothing to claim for?

Steve.

Trending Topics

Old 13 April 2005, 09:20 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

you have 3 years in which to claim for injuries
Old 13 April 2005, 09:38 PM
matlow
Scooby Regular

i guess i was worried that because i'd circumvented the insurance company in the first instance, that they would leave me high and dry.

i guess i have to bite the bullet and accept things.

if my cupra R ins is currently 650 a year fully comp with 4 yrs NCB what do you lot reckon the hike will be?
Old 15 April 2005, 09:06 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Old ladies, do have a habit of telling lies, as i found out many years ago....

As far as your concerned, at the time of the accident, she was ok..... did she got to the doctors within 24 hours of the accident??? how do you know that her neck injury isnt something she already had, and is now trying to get more money from you.

were the Police involved ..?? normally they dont get involved unless its serious. If not, then its your word against hers.

Stick with your story, you paid her, the £700 in good faith, and she was happy with that, she told you she was ok, and accepted it....end off. Now she miraculously develops an injury...????? dont think so..!! i'd fight it mate.

You cant accept compensation, and then just decide you want more.

IF she can change her story, then she slammed on in front of you, after starting to move, giving you no hope of avoiding a collision - AND there was nothing comming. You werent driving without undue care, because 'you' could see the road ahead, and that she had moved and so followed - then she anchored on, for no reason.

You've been more than fair.

Frank

Last edited by redwrx; 15 April 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 17 April 2005, 04:06 PM
Mr Sympathy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This just sounds like an ambulance chaser to me, seems to me that like most folk she is looking for the couple of grand you can often get for a whiplash injury. Whiplash incidentally is an injury that is not very painful at time of inflicting injury but worsens two to three days after the incident.

Either she is genuine or knows this and is playing it along. Difficult to tell but regardless of whether prang was settled outside of insurance most insurance companes want you to notify them of any such incidents, in reality for most minor bumps most folk do not I am sure.

This is when you only find out when your insurance company is any good or not, at claim time, not at price at renewal time! The tide is turning against exagerated personal injury claims, hope it works out for you.
Old 17 April 2005, 07:19 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Play here game, tell her to get f#cked, she will have to take a private prosecution out against you to try to get anything, this will take time and money on her part, deny everything and dont make it easy for her, as Redwrx has already said she cant take your cash and then demand more.

Her own insurance wont want to know as she took cash to pay for the repair and didnt involve them.

Tell her you will see her in court and see what happens, i had an accident many years ago in a company car (my fault) she was paid out by the company £70 to fix the damaged indicator and taxi fares, 2 months later she says she has all sorts of injuries and is on Vallium to sleep (LOL), the company said, fine take us to court at your initial cost and we shall see who wins, we never heard from her again.

Zippy
Old 17 April 2005, 07:20 PM
Barnesy
Scooby Regular

1. You could try protecting your no claims bonus now?? So you don't loose any? As she is only trying to claim for injury now, not repairs. worth a try.
2. Has she contacted your insurance? If not cancel your policy quick and go with another company and protect your no claims. She will find it hard to claim off you then??

Last edited by Barnesy; 17 April 2005 at 07:23 PM.