Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Struggling with insurance on WRX PPP & WRX STi PPP ? then write to Subaru/Prodrive

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2005, 08:46 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struggling with insurance on WRX PPP & WRX STi PPP ? then write to Subaru/Prodrive

I have created this edited version of my two letters I sent to Sam Burton the then managing director of Subaru UK. The new MD is Mr Peter Kinnaird.
see here http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=415302

Perhaps if everyone who owns a PPP'd specced WRX or STi Impreza copied and pasted this edited version of my first letter, and sent a copy to Prodrive and Subaru UK they might take some notice?

It will only cost you the price of two stamps/letters, and a couple of sheets of A4 paper.

Prodrives address is:

Mr D. Richards
Prodrive
Banbury
Oxfordshire
OX16 3ER
England

Mr Peter Kinnaird
Subaru UK Ltd.
Ryder Street
West Bromwhich,
West Midlands,
B70 0EJ

Dear Mr Kinnaird,
I have been extremely please with the ownership of my (type model type) PPP, and the driving pleasure it has given me.
The only potential drawback is the insurance aspect of attempting to insure an (type model type) with the PPP kit fitted. (PPP = Prodrive Performance Pack).

I would like to point out that I am (type age )years old, and have a clean driving licence (delet if not applicable) with (type number of years) number of years no claims bonus.
However even with all these positive elements, the vast majority of insurance companies do not quote on the WRX or WRX STi Type UK, unless it is standard.
The moment the PPP kit is mentioned, they have no idea what it comprises of, or that its fitted by the Subaru dealer, and as a consequence will not insure the car.

It is with some surprise I found that if I try and insure myself on a Impreza WR1 (which is in essence a modified/uprated STi with PPP, springs, driving lights, wheels & DCCD fitted) I have no problem, due to the vehicle in its final form i.e. with its modifications already fitted, being listed with the insurance industry.

Subaru UK (IM) have deemed it prudent to have the Impreza WR1, a vehicle with a limited production run of 500 units, registered with the UK insurance industry, and therefore enabled prospective owners to easily get insurance cover, just as Mitsibushi have done with their EVO FQ300/320/340/400 models.

I am surprised and a little disappointed that given the potential volume of sales for PPP’d equipped Impreza STi’s and of course WRX’s, which are not constrained to a limited production run, the same notification to the insurance industry has not been carried out.

I am quite positive that if this was the case then Subaru UK, the dealer network and Prodrive would be able to capture a greater share of the lucrative tuning market cash flow.
As the situation currently stands the only incentive to buy the PPP kit as opposed to potentially cheaper, and in my opinion technically inferior aftermarket products, is the manufactures warranty is upheld with the PPP.
Whatever tuning option is pursued, the insurance industry don’t like it, and will quote accordingly.

I feel that Subaru UK, their dealer network, and Prodrive are missing out on substantially increased sales and profit of PPP kits circa £1600 for WRX, £2000 for STi’s caused simply on the inability of a large section of your customer base being unable to get insurance at a reasonable cost.
As a marketing exercise getting the PPP specced cars listed with the insurance industry, as they are already shown in the Subaru literature in the dealers showrooms, would tempt far more buyers to actually buy the cars with PPP fitted in the first place, and not perhaps be tempted by one of the far cheaper to insure EVO models.

I feel that this really is an opportunity to create a Win-Win situation, for you (Subaru UK) the dealer network and Prodrive with increased turnover in cars and PPP kits fitted to existing cars sold, and the lessened problems associated by owners like myself in insuring their cars.

Every opportunity to reduce the negative aspects of ownership for your customers can only help in building a stronger and more loyal customer base.
And more importantly for you, increase profits.
I’m sure you would agree, that is a good thing.

Additionally this would have the added bonus of making aftermarket tuning financially less attractive to the customer due to increased insurance premiums, compared to the Subaru approved, fitted and warranted PPP kit, you could potentially eliminate the aftermarket tuning and warranty repair problem faced by Subaru UK.

Yours Faithfully
(insert name)

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 04 May 2005 at 12:37 PM. Reason: To correct the quantity of WR1's to 500 not 1000.
Old 07 April 2005, 12:23 PM
streetbeats
Scooby Regular

excellent idea MTR

Im curently deciding what to do with my UK300 when the warranty expires mid May.
Old 07 April 2005, 06:01 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Default Subarus Managing Director Mr Peter Kinnairds response to my letter

Here is the response from Mr Peter Kinnaird, Subaru UK Managing Director, for my letter re PPP and insurance on UK cars.
It is only fair that I post Mr Kinnairds response to my letter.
I don't think he will mind me making it public.

5th April 2005
Dear Mr ****

Many Thanks for your constructive letter regarding insurance and the attitude of insurers to modified cars and the PPP.

Naturally, I was delighted to note your obvious enthusiasm for your Subaru Impreza Turbo STi and note with some interest your previous purchasing pattern, which might suggest you could be in the market again soon!

Obviously the issue you raise is familiar to us and if the solution were simple I feel sure we would have solved it by now.

In essence, in order to be recognised as a specfic model by the ABI (Association of British Insurers) we have to identify a model designation (and badge accordingly), identify a specification and list the model in our price list.

In the case of the WR1, it being a limited edition to a set specification and despite the after market fit of the PPP, we were able to satisfy the ABI criteria.

With regard to the on-going offer of PPP as an after market dealer fit option it is not possible to designate these as a specific model, given the fact that many customers also wish to specify additional after market changes which may vary from customer to customer.

We do of course, offer our own branded insurance - Subaru Insured- that obviously recognises the PPP option and will quote accordingly.

Nevertheless, I agree that some wider solution via the ABI would be desirable and we are currently looking at some tweaks in the way we market PPP to see if we can get ABI recognition.

Meantine, I know Tom Butler of Subaru Insured has responded to your comments on the website and has indicated he will be happy to provide you with a quote.

Thank you once again for your thoughtful letter.

Yours Sincerely
Peter Kinnaird
MANAGING DIRECTOR

I must say it is nice that someone in Peters position, as Sam did before him, took the trouble to respond personally.
It is also interesting to see his comment about the PPP being an aftermarket fit on the WR1, which is what I said on another thread when the WR1 was being launched.

I've no doubt they are both extremely busy people, who can probably do without letters from me, berating the anomolies within the insurance industry.

But if you don't ask, you don't get.

Lets hope he is successful with his approaches to the ABI.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 07 April 2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 26 April 2005, 07:02 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Default Mike Wood from Prodrives response about my PPP insurance letter

I have just had a telephone call from Mike Wood at Prodrive in response to the above letter I sent to Dave Richards, his boss, regarding the problems associated with trying to insure PPP specced Imprezas.

He couldn't go into great detail about what Subaru/Subaru Insured (Tom Butler at Schofields) and Prodrive were doing, except to say that they WILL be liasing with the ABI (Association of British Insurers), and attempting to ease the problems encountered when insuring the PPP specced cars.

I for one don't expect my insurance to fall in cost dramatically, but if I can at least get a selection of companies willing to quote, which currently is not easy, then that would be a start.

To be honest I wasn't expecting Dave to reply, but I felt out of courtesy I should send him a copy of my letter I was sending to Peter Kinnaird, so he was at least aware of my concerns.
He passed it on to Mike Wood to speak to me on his behalf, and as I have met Mike on a couple of occasions previously, it was a pleasantly informative and relaxed conversation, and was very much appreciated.

Thanks Mike, and please thank Dave Richards on my behalf.

I don't suppose for a minute that my letters started anything that wasn't already being looked into, but at least with the responses from Peter Kinnaird, Tom Butler (Schofields Insurance, is this classed as me advertising ) and Mike Wood from Prodrive, which have been posted publically on Scoobynet, we can at least be assured that our concerns are being taken seriously.

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 26 April 2005 at 07:38 PM.
Old 26 April 2005, 07:13 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

I've no idea if any of you wrote as I suggested, but perhaps we can stop writing our complaints letters now, as the 'big boys in long trousers' seem to be listening.
And more importantly for me at least, informing us about what is going on.

Cheers
MTR
Old 28 April 2005, 06:55 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Default Dave Richards from Prodrives response about my PPP insurance letter

This is a copy of the letter I have recieved from Dave Richards dated
26Th April (it arrived on the 28th April after I spoke to Mike Wood)

Dear ****
Thank you very much for your recent letter concerning insurance issues with your Subaru Impreza.

I understand we have a solution to this problem, and I have forwarded your enquiry to Roland Cherry, who will respond to you very shortly.

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to make me aware of this matter.

Yours Sincerely
David Richards
cc Roland Cherry

Cheers
MTR
Old 29 April 2005, 03:21 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

The resultant outcome of this thread re 'illegal exhaust ' on a PPP specced WRX will be interesting.
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...llegal+exhaust
If the car was registered with the ABI as a defined specification car like the WR1, then it would not be classified as 'modified' and the whole argument with the Police would be negated.

Subaru/Prodrive are you taking note?

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 07 May 2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08 May 2005, 12:51 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MikeWood
MTR

Tom has managed to get a new deal sorted where the PPP is loaded by only a small amount and the range of drivers covered is much wider.

Mike
An update from Mike Wood, on here http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=415302

Cheers
MTR

Last edited by MTR; 08 May 2005 at 08:11 PM.