Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy situation - Direct Line vs Privilege and PPP

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2005, 12:32 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy situation - Direct Line vs Privilege and PPP

Currently have 01WRX no performance mods insured with Direct Line - renewal due next week for £700 (full ncb protected £500 excess).

Thinking about getting an 04 Sti PPP so I phoned Direct Line this evening for two quotes - Sti would cost £760 and Sti Prodrive would cost £1300 (ffs !!!) but I really don't think he understood what I was quoting him - I did mention engine performance upgrade 20-25%. I'm 38 for the record.

Looked at one of the PPP threads on here so I decided to try Privilege on line quote.

When I went the long way (i.e. not quoting reg number) and just asked for protected cover on an 04Sti I got a quote of £568. When I tried again entering the reg number of an 04Sti Prodrive I got £515 and the quote lists the car as "SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0T P/DRIVE WRX STI UK".

Now call me picky but I've either scooped a bargain or Privilege have no idea what a P/Drive actually is. Do you think I should enlighten them or does the fact that I entered a reg number in hold them to account for their quote and possibly stupidity if I have a claim ?

Will be phone A-Plan tomorrow but by the looks of it Subaru Insurance are only open 9-5 Mon-Fri (bright move ). I don't want to spend all day phoning so these two plus another call to DL will do me.

Comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by EBRWRX; 26 February 2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 26 February 2005, 12:38 AM
dazc
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking of changing my classic to an 05 STI tuk so went through the same process. Priviledge actually quoted me cheaper if I had the STI Type UK with PPP, rather than without by £50. Work that out? cos they couldn't even after I explained that it made it faster???
Its just what its coming out at. We just input the information.
Just buy it. I'm gonna.
Daz.

Last edited by dazc; 26 February 2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 26 February 2005, 12:43 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

LOL - I've just gone back in to get a quote for a WR1 that I know is for sale - entered the Reg number and hey presto got £568 pounds again using identical terms and conditions and upping value by 4K.

Part of me says go for it - part of me says this will come back and bite me in the bum
Old 26 February 2005, 12:52 AM
dazc
Scooby Regular

If its written down on paper from them how is it any different to any other insurance quote apart from the fact that its cheaper?
I'm 33 and was getting £750 fully everything 05stiukppp
I'm also naturally suspicious too. Daz
Old 26 February 2005, 09:40 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

I believe that the prodrive the insurance are quoting on is the STI Prodrive which was a bugeye with prodrive styling if I remember correctly (ie no performance increase). They are not quoting for PPP! I had the exact same thing when I was considering an STI PPP.... you just can't trust the muppets to understand what you're talking about. Makes it even funnier when you consider that there is no such thing as the STI prodrive any more and I was getting quotes for a brand new car. Suffice to say, I removed all risk of insurance f@ck ups and just bought a WR1 - that way they can't try and weasel their way out of any claims by saying that I didn't tell then what had been done to the car.

oh yeh and I'm only paying just over 800 quid and I'm 28 - much cheaper than it would have been for an STI PPP - once you can find someone who knows what it is that is....
Old 26 February 2005, 10:13 AM
donutman
Scooby Regular

the wr1 will be cheaper as we all know it does not produce anywhere near as much power as subaru state
Old 26 February 2005, 12:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try liverpool victoria, they normally know what they are talking about

Tony
Old 26 February 2005, 02:50 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donutman
the wr1 will be cheaper as we all know it does not produce anywhere near as much power as subaru state
Old 26 February 2005, 02:52 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EBRWRX
LOL - I've just gone back in to get a quote for a WR1 that I know is for sale - entered the Reg number and hey presto got £568 pounds again using identical terms and conditions and upping value by 4K.

Part of me says go for it - part of me says this will come back and bite me in the bum
I would just order the WR1 and get it insured with them.I have just insured two of my cars with them and will be insuring my WR1 with them in June via their website.
They seem to be by far the cheapest around at the moment.
Old 26 February 2005, 08:02 PM
scooby city
Scooby Regular

do Privilege take on sti8 jap imports?
Old 26 February 2005, 08:08 PM
dazc
Scooby Regular

Not any more!
Insurance on STI's has gone through the roof there going up by 40%.
Something to do with recategorising the groups. Makes no difference if you even have a tracker fitted or not. They don't count it. Daz

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Try liverpool victoria, they normally know what they are talking about

Tony
Old 27 February 2005, 03:32 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I was trying to get a quote off Direct Lines Website for an 03 UK STI but when putting in the year of the car i.e 2003, it then only displays the models in the list as Impreza Turbo STI UK 02-02? Anything else with the correct year isn't the correct model?

I was also looking for an Import STI GL but they dont even seem to be listed?
Old 27 February 2005, 06:07 PM
anc-sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
I was trying to get a quote off Direct Lines Website for an 03 UK STI but when putting in the year of the car i.e 2003, it then only displays the models in the list as Impreza Turbo STI UK 02-02? Anything else with the correct year isn't the correct model?

I was also looking for an Import STI GL but they dont even seem to be listed?
Its a error that nobody within these companies can be arsed to put right . Ring them they with sort you a proper quote.

P/DRIVE isn't PPP tread carefully!!!
Old 28 February 2005, 06:29 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mpr is correct: it's only going to show up as PPP if the car was originally supplied with it already fitted, but it's nearly always a retrofit. Thus as people have said here, "Prodrive" means the Prodrive styling pack which WAS factory fitted. Ran into the same issue looking at STi PPPs a couple of weeks ago.

M