Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

insuring a RA as a GL

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2005, 03:12 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insuring a RA as a GL

my insurance company are a bit useless and dont have a 1995 Impreza RA on their records, and have quoted me on a 1995 Impreza GL.

shall i just insure it as a GL? only TPFT anyway and i wouldnt be bothered about the difference the in value should i make a claim.
Old 22 February 2005, 03:29 PM
Dickie69
Scooby Regular

i drive an impreza 1.8gl buildup.it runs a wrx RA engine an has full wrx seats and bodykit.its insured as a GL no problem.cheaper m8 so go 4 it
Old 22 February 2005, 03:30 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thing is if you are unlucky enough to be the party to blame in an accident it could be that your insurance is void and leave you with a huge bill and possible legal proceedings for not having the correct insurance.

a mate had the same thing with his ltd edition scooby. 1 of only 100 made and they wanted to class it as a normal wrx import.

on the plus side if they'll still cover you regardless of any incident leading to a claim, then it's a big + as it must be cheaper?
Old 22 February 2005, 03:35 PM
heple1983
Scooby Regular

Can u not ask them to include a note on the certificate saying its an RA or at least send you a letter acknowledging that you have told them its an RA and that they have listed it as a GL because an RA is not on their system.

Surly this will put any blame on the Insurers side and not on yours incase you do have to make a claim.

If ther not prepared to do this dont insure it with them as they will prob screw you over if the worst does happen
Old 22 February 2005, 03:48 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by heple1983
Can u not ask them to include a note on the certificate saying its an RA or at least send you a letter acknowledging that you have told them its an RA and that they have listed it as a GL because an RA is not on their system.

Surly this will put any blame on the Insurers side and not on yours incase you do have to make a claim.

If ther not prepared to do this dont insure it with them as they will prob screw you over if the worst does happen
sounds like good advice to me.
Old 22 February 2005, 03:50 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

tesco just asked the underwriters to confirm that thay would cover my spec'c'..... all sorted and on the policy..... (they never listed it BTW)
Old 22 February 2005, 04:25 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dickie69
i drive an impreza 1.8gl buildup.it runs a wrx RA engine an has full wrx seats and bodykit.its insured as a GL no problem.cheaper m8 so go 4 it
going to insure my rb5 as a justy. it's loads cheaper.

Trending Topics

Old 22 February 2005, 04:27 PM
heple1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
going to insure my rb5 as a justy. it's loads cheaper.
Why not insure it as a Fiat Panda Grp 1 and its 4x4 so there as good as the same car!!
Old 22 February 2005, 04:37 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

mines insured as a gl, they couldnt find it as anything else, it even says its a gl on the log book though? I told them it was a wrx, and a note was put on the account?

oh well, £1000 cheaper!

jamo
Old 22 February 2005, 04:42 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by heple1983
Why not insure it as a Fiat Panda Grp 1 and its 4x4 so there as good as the same car!!
i also told them i only do 500 miles a year and i am 65 as well. that knocked the price don to £50 fully comp. so i told them it had a tracker and bam another fiver off. i then said i was mistaken and it was a fiat 126 air cooled. that dropped it to £35.

guess i am stuck paying that.
Old 22 February 2005, 04:46 PM
heple1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
i also told them i only do 500 miles a year and i am 65 as well. that knocked the price don to £50 fully comp. so i told them it had a tracker and bam another fiver off. i then said i was mistaken and it was a fiat 126 air cooled. that dropped it to £35.

guess i am stuck paying that.
Whats this on ? a spec C

get a clifford intelliguard 950 fitted should knock at least £10-20 off
Old 22 February 2005, 04:52 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by peccy
my insurance company are a bit useless and dont have a 1995 Impreza RA on their records, and have quoted me on a 1995 Impreza GL.

shall i just insure it as a GL? only TPFT anyway and i wouldnt be bothered about the difference the in value should i make a claim.
i had this problem, so rang around all the insurance comps gave them my details ect , then got back to the first 1 a few days latter and it was on there system,
Old 22 February 2005, 05:22 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Anyone who insures there car as a gl when it is clearly a RA must be stupid. If they were to be in an accident then they would have no insurance. Even if you have said it was a RA at the time.
It wouldnt take long for the acessor to work out and would be an easy escape for the insurance company. At the end of the day it is upto you to make sure the car is described and covered properly. If its not on there list of cars then find an insurance company who has.
I dont mean to sound like **** but lots of people on here will agree with me. Otherwise we would all do it and save ourselves thousands.
I wouldnt be happy if you knocked my kid down and then had no insurance to cover the expenses. Youd end up in court.
Find a different insurer and pay up like the rest of us.

If you still decide to insure it as a gl just remember to steer clear of my car!
Old 22 February 2005, 05:28 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

i think you should read my post again.

its stated as a gl on the log book, how am i supposed to find a company that will insure it as something they A dont recognise, and B is stated as something else on the log book?

you tell me and ile do it happily.

james
Old 22 February 2005, 05:31 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

just to add, I rang 20 plus insurance companys and they all said the same, they use the information from the dvla and number plate, and it will always come back with that information as its registered on the dvla system as a GL.

so its either have no insurance or have some and get them to agree its a wrx verbally.

james
Old 22 February 2005, 06:14 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

you need to ring dvla and change the log book then!
It has been registered incorectly.
I cant believe that there are no insurance comapnies that have the RA on there system. The very least you could do is insure it as a wrx import.
Models which dont match with reg numbers happens all the time. Thats why they check with you and then adjust as necessary.
Is there anyone else reading this with a RA?
Old 22 February 2005, 06:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

mines a wrx not ra.

dvla are happy with the description on the log book. already checked.
Old 22 February 2005, 06:48 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4mou
mines insured as a gl, they couldnt find it as anything else, it even says its a gl on the log book though? I told them it was a wrx, and a note was put on the account?

oh well, £1000 cheaper!

jamo
James; Im assuming its an imported GF8 then? Its common for the DVLA to make this mistake, the 1.8GL is first on their list. Id be extremely careful because even though the DVLA has registered the vehicle as a 1.8GL it isnt and insurance is a contract of ultimate good faith..... In practice this means that you are obliged to make the underwriters aware of any material fact that would influence their decision. If you end up making a claim you might find out that all bets are off.....

Regards

Simon
Old 22 February 2005, 06:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Having read the rest of the thread now..... a 'verbal notification will lead to your being f*cked up the **** if you ever come to claim. Id advise that you write to the company requesting written confirmation that they are aware of the correct model identity and mechanical specification of your car and that they were made aware of this at the policys inception.

Simon
Old 22 February 2005, 07:09 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Having read the rest of the thread now..... a 'verbal notification will lead to your being f*cked up the **** if you ever come to claim. Id advise that you write to the company requesting written confirmation that they are aware of the correct model identity and mechanical specification of your car and that they were made aware of this at the policys inception.

Simon
true..unless you have it in writing that they are aware that it is a wrx or wrx ra then you could be shafted. They could easily "loose" the note on the system come claim time.

if you have a wrx registered as a gl then call dvla and tell them to correct it to wrx. Then call insurance back and insure it as a wrx. Wrx import is recognised by most insurance companies. I know - i have one! One time i gave my reg and it came back as a wrx sti uk. so i did the right thing and called up to correct it. They manually punched in my vehicle details with wrx.

If you have a wrx ra - it may be tricky as yes most companies may not have it on there system. I spose you could insure it as a wrx which is close at least or get written evidence that you have given them all the info you can at the time of insurance. Verbaly telling them at the time is not enough IMO as come claim time you could be fu*ked

I think also your v5 clearly states you are responsible for ensuring the details on it are correct.

Dont mean to come across nasty by the way
Old 22 February 2005, 07:13 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon
already done mate

sent them a recorded delivery with all the above in asking them to confirm this for me in writing, they never bothered replying so kept copies and delivery details.

tbh the guy i talked to was a complete moron. its on the log book as a 2.0 GL

james
Old 22 February 2005, 07:25 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

im sorry mate, i must be in an argumentative mood .....so they havnt replied. Meaning come claim time they COULD argue they never recieved your information. Just a thought. Insurance comapnies will do anything to avoid payng out. At the end of the day you are responsible to ensure that you have a piece of paper for pc plod etc with ALL the correct insurance details including vehicle details. If you havnt got this then assume you aint covered properly.

already done mate

sent them a recorded delivery with all the above in asking them to confirm this for me in writing, they never bothered replying so kept copies and delivery details.

james
Old 22 February 2005, 07:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

already done mate

james
Id ask for a reply if I were you James; I think thats the only way that you can establish that the underwriters were made aware of all of the material facts. Its a lark isnt it?

Simon
Old 22 February 2005, 08:20 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by dj219957
im sorry mate, i must be in an argumentative mood .....so they havnt replied. Meaning come claim time they COULD argue they never recieved your information. Just a thought. Insurance comapnies will do anything to avoid payng out. At the end of the day you are responsible to ensure that you have a piece of paper for pc plod etc with ALL the correct insurance details including vehicle details. If you havnt got this then assume you aint covered properly.
funnily enough

i was that concerned about it when i went through it all, i even went to the local police station to see what there stance was.

when checking a vehicle they do a check on the registration plate and do a *visual check to see if its the same vehicle, and to see if its insured. thats it, its a subaru estate vehicle with the same registration mark. thats it, i had a producer recently and they didnt blink.

my concern is that I have gone well beyond a lot of people would go, im not thick, but could plead innocence if i wanted, i decided not to, and to ensure i wasnt doing anything dodgy, i told them its a 2 litre turbo, yeah, but on the log book and on here, its says...... well yeah but its a wrx. ok we will make note of it, and then writing to them, I have a copy of the delivery notice from rm as well.

most people wouldnt have gone that far. im very carefull when it comes to stuff like this, so have copys of everything.
Old 23 February 2005, 09:00 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Just to add, these MY95 type GLs on the import logbook I think come up as the NA version of the impreza on the insurers database, its not the same as a MY04 GL. No wonder the quotes are cheap. I'd be very careful about confiming they know its the turbo version.
Old 25 February 2005, 02:49 PM
hostagewrx
Scooby Regular

when i bought my car, it was on the v5 as a Subaru GL, i sent off the v5 to DVLA stating that it was a WRX, but they returned it saying i needed a letter from subaru stating that. This of course caused probs with the insurance companies. They spelt my name wrong, so i sent the v5 back and again said it was a WRX. When it finally came back a second time, it was registered in my name as a Subaru Impreza WRX.

With Norwich Union my insurance isnt that bad and all done correctly, dont mess with insurance companies, it will only sting u in the **** when u need them!
Old 25 February 2005, 05:58 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

My WRX import is registered as a GL, but is insured as a WRX (Norwich Union as above). Dont think all companies go by the DVLA details. Think they can over-ride them as well if they dont match.