Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elephant

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2004, 08:42 AM
hybwrx2002
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elephant

Doing some online quotes, elephant seem to be the best.

2 Questions. If I add my girlfriend and mum to my policy it comes down £500. Is this right??!?

Putting on the mods on my car, non standard alloy, Exhaust/manifold, these are the options it has listed. There isn't an option to say how much power it increases by, if you choose the Chip 10-25% the premium doubles, but doing the exhaust it doesnt make a difference. Does this mean I can go full decat?
Old 06 July 2004, 09:26 AM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

It looks like I'm going with Admiral (same people) when I get my Scoob - not the cheapest but easy to add/declare mods and adding my partner took £15 quid off the cost. Elephant was a ridiculous price with same details! When phoning round I tried Subaru Insured and the best price from them was Norwich Union WITH my partner on it though still over the top.

If you can get that much off - and they confirm it - go for it!

Insurance is a very funny thing - Admiral's best quote for me was when I queried thru www.confused.com not very competitive direct

As for the mods, this is the box that is ticked when I queried replacing the back box only. Best to check but it says "Exhaust/manifold" so I am taking that to mean you can replace the full system HOWEVER the legalities of de-catting should be checked. I am guessing centre decat would be OK as the car will still pass emissions testing, full decat may be more questionable.

Many more experienced people on here will confirm I am sure. I would also hazard a guess that only replacing the exhaust and no other mods (i.e. not remapping the ECU) would perhaps not get much more than 10% increase?

Bottom line with insurance is SPELL IT OUT to them. The consequences of them having the wrong detail are just not worth it.
Old 08 July 2004, 07:06 AM
BradN
Scooby Regular

Premiums are reduced if you add women to a policy because they are seen to be safer drivers. If they're driving the car for some of the time it means you're not and so the scoob will stay accident free. Apparently!!

Not sure about the mods but when I spoke to my insurers (Privilege) they said that as long as the mods didn't increase the performance hugely in percentage terms it wouldn't make too much difference. My mate insures through Tesco and they charged him a token amount for each mod he mentioned. It's probably one of those things that depends on who you speak to, which day and what company.
Old 08 July 2004, 08:05 AM
eyeMAJIC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hybwrx2002

If I add my girlfriend and mum to my policy it comes down £500. Is this right??!?
Mine was £780 with Elephant (just me).....

....£730 with both my parents added (ages 67 & 63).

Everyone else (NUD, DL, EGG) increased the premium with named drivers.

Oh well.....
Old 09 July 2004, 11:33 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

On my old MY00, my premium was reduced by £60 when adding my fiancee on the insurance!

It increased her premium by £20 to add me on to the insurance for her Ford Ka!!!
Old 10 July 2004, 10:47 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Elephant wanted one meeeeelion pounds to insure me - well not quite but the lousy advertising trollops wanted two and a half grand whereas livvic wanted a mere 750...
Very weird - maybe I live to close to the Mickeys.....