Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPP and Tesco

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2003, 02:27 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my PPP fitted on Sat after a very long wait - love it, well done to Cross Roads for the 10% discount - recommend them.

Tesco wanted an extra £106 and that's just for the reminder of my policy - 3 months - therefore pa increase is £424!!! I'm sure they quoted me £100 3 months ago for 6 months service but they've deleted the quote.

What impact has it made to your insurance? Anyone use Tesco? What was the percentage per annum increase as well as absolute increase as that'll help me verify that Tesco haven’t ripped me off.

Also, for anyone with this mod (and Tesco), did they know what you were talking about? They had no record of a PPP, Performance Pack, Prodrive, WR etc on their system; the guy didn't even know what an ECU was (when asked for details of the changes)!! Even worse, they wouldn't let me speak directly with their Underwriting division so I can't even check that they have recorded the correct details.
Old 15 September 2003, 03:15 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Tesco usually charge in terms of % power gain. They tried to charge me £210 for just a decat centre. Barstewards!!

Andy
Old 15 September 2003, 03:16 PM
jmk
Scooby Regular

Come on, someone must use Tesco and have a PPP. Any suggestions as they're charging me the equivalent of 35% more pa :-(
Old 15 September 2003, 03:29 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I use Tesco and have a WRX PPP.

They also had no clue what I was talking about - I asked for confirmation in writing that they had recorded all the modifications of the PPP as when the revised documents came back they did not cover everything I had advised them of.

I think they have charged me around £200 extra for the PPP for 5 months cover but it is not clear from the figures they quoted me.
They would not or could not put in writing how much my insurance increase was due to my new car purchase half way through my insurance period and they could not advise how much of the icrease was due to the PPP. This was dispite me phoning twice and sending a letter of complaint.

I will not be using them again as they always seem to load any changes to my premium excessively heavily
Example
I moved house and I was paying £450/year before the move (Seat Leon Cupra).
I did a quote online and it gave a quote of £650/year at the new address for a full years premium.
I had 6 months of my insurance period to run so figured an increase of £100 for the 6 months remaining on the policy (half of the £200 difference). They added on £200 for the remaining 6 months and could not advise me why this was the case.
Old 15 September 2003, 05:00 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

just insured my MY99 PPP as an RB5....
Old 17 September 2003, 02:03 PM
messa555
Scooby Regular

Wink

Exhaust mods and ppp, dont tell them and they wont know any different.
Old 17 September 2003, 03:27 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

WRX MY03 SL with PPP
I use Tescos and when I told them it was an optional fitted item to my new car, I was told thats OK no charge.
Now I'm concerned as you guys up the thread are saying there is a loading for PPP.
I have to admit the people I dealt with were DIGITS (if there IQ was a digit less theyd be plants..a digit more and theyd be care in the community.com loons) they said the SL WRX doenst exist and when they finally worked out the quote its was so cheap I fell off the chair reaching for my wallet :-)
Old 17 September 2003, 03:28 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

WRX MY03 SL with PPP
I use Tescos and when I told them it was an optional fitted item to my new car, I was told thats OK no charge.
Now I'm concerned as you guys up the thread are saying there is a loading for PPP.
I have to admit the people I dealt with were DIGITS (if there IQ was a digit less theyd be plants..a digit more and theyd be care in the community.com loons) they said the SL WRX doenst exist and when they finally worked out the quote its was so cheap I fell off the chair reaching for my wallet :-)
Old 19 September 2003, 08:27 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

Supercue - I tried to argue that it was a dealer fit Subaru add on but they were having none of it (spoke to 3 people about this).

The WRX SL is in their system now (at least it is on the online quote system)as I was looking at it last night.

Another thing about Tesco - when we moved they loaded my wifes Fiesta premium by £100 - as she now is near work the milage is reduced to around 4K-6K per year and not 15K as per the quote.
She advised them of the reduced milage in the hope this would offset the incresed premium due to the address change only to be told milage makes no difference.
It bloody did when she renewed last time and increased milage from 6k per annum to 15k per annum milage!
Old 19 September 2003, 11:17 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Surely, you can get them to record it as the "Prodrive Performance Pack", and if they can't be bothered to find out what it is, themselves, that's their how do you do?

If they record it, and charge extra, you're covered!

If I was asked, I'd say I didn't know what the garage had done, and point out to them that they are the insurers, not me, so it's their job to be clued up.
We Brits often do other's jobs for them , and then let 'em charge us for it, don't we?
Alcazar
Old 19 September 2003, 12:17 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Currently with Tesco - MY01 WRX wagon with PPP, full decat, 18s. Took several attempts to get it right - I think the schedule just says "exhaust modifications - up to 20% power increase" or something like that. Cost me about £700 in all...

G
Old 19 September 2003, 03:48 PM
Hoth
Scooby Regular

Currently with NUD. No extra charge for PPP. Told them it was a manufacturer option and not a third party thing.
Checked with the underwriter too...
'engine management' on certificate
Old 19 September 2003, 06:36 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I will give them another ring and see what they say.

When I got the car they did say that as it was a dealer fit option I would have to pay, factory fit and it would have been OK.

Anyone else not paying extra?

[Edited by CupraT - 9/19/2003 6:37:23 PM]