Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Car, the pitfalls!

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2003, 10:06 AM
TimboMY03
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Mods this should be in Insurance, but thought it should reach the widest audience for a while... up to you.

On here the other day there was a v-popular thread regarding people with second cars, myself being one of them. I still have a Golf GTI as a run around but was originally going to be sold on arrival of my new MYWRX on the 1st of March. I went through the process of insuring the WRX through Tesco's as they offerd the best quote and I was already insured with them for my Golf. When I got home last night I found a letter from them stating that they hadn't yet recieved proof of my 'no claims bonus' on the WRX (WRX was first registered on the 1st march 03). I called them today to tell them that I was already insured with them on the Golf and that I have 14 years no claims bonus, only to be told that I can only register my no claims bonus against 1 car!!! The effect being a £947.00 icrease of the anual premium on the WRX or a similar % increase of premium on the Golf!

This rule stands even if you insure a second car through a different insurance house, i.e your no claims bonus only applies to one of the cars, not both.

At no time during either process of insuring the cars was I told that this rule existed in the insurance world and they couldn't provide written conformation that it did either!

I'm wondering how many of you out there with or without a second car are aware of this legal rule.... because I had no idea?

Maybe I'm a muppet, but surely this rule should be properly explained especially when insuring a second car through the same insurance company!

TimboMY03
Old 04 April 2003, 10:13 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yep it's crap isn't it. I'm looking at getting a Westfield for a second car, and at least the insurance isn't too bad for a kit car with a low mileage policy.

Still a pain that it's against the car and not the person. You still haven't claimed in 14 years so why does it have to start from zero for a second policy? Insurance shafting again if you ask me. About time this was looked at now more people have second cars, but then it won't be due to the revenue that comes in from it
Old 04 April 2003, 10:15 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Yeah it is per car sadly.
Old 04 April 2003, 10:16 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Does your wife/partner/girlfriend/boyfriend, whatever, have a car insured in their name? You could insure it in their name and have you as named driver? Just a thought.
Old 04 April 2003, 10:19 AM
TimboMY03
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunately, all friends/family and girlfriend(s) (No boyfriends) are car'd up too... so being a named driver isn't an option.

Tim
Old 04 April 2003, 10:25 AM
KevinH
Scooby Regular

I ran 2 cars for a number of years and still run 3 bikes, keeping track on the various ncb's is a nightmare, and different companies have different policies. I have had "matched NCB" on a second car but only on a restricted mileage policy ( 7500 miles PA ).
Old 04 April 2003, 10:25 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

You will find insurance companies that will give you a discount on a 2nd car, I'm sure I have seen thread about Liverpool Victoria doing this.
I may be cheaper to change both policies to another company than to pay up fully on the Golf/WRX
Old 04 April 2003, 10:38 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

As above. Bell Direct allow full NCB on a second car you insure with them assuming you already have one with them in your name.
C
Old 04 April 2003, 11:10 AM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

I once got a good deal on insurance for a Porker through a "portfolio" type policy. It allowed up to 6 drivers and 6 cars (each up to 100k value). Only one driver needed to have full NCB. I'm not sure if any company still runs policies like these.
Old 04 April 2003, 01:49 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

WhatCar? gave me 4 years NCD on second car to start.

When quizzed they told me that provided I then managed another year without incident this would become 5 years AND, in as much as they would then write me a letter to the effect that it was 5 years NCD it would become a "real" 5 years NCD on the second car.

IMO most insurance companines are complete ****s but so far I have no complaints with WhatCar.

You could do worse than give them a call.......
Old 04 April 2003, 01:51 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

once got a good deal on insurance for a Porker through a "portfolio" type policy. It allowed up to 6 drivers and 6 cars (each up to 100k value). Only one driver needed to have full NCB. I'm not sure if any company still runs policies like these.
Have been looking for one of these for ages, we have 6 cars in our family and 4 drivers, all of which drive each car , so would be ideal.

Can't find anyone to do it though
Old 04 April 2003, 02:12 PM
Jiggerypokery
Scooby Regular

... mine was through Abbey http://www.abbey-online.co.uk
I *think* they've stopped offering portfolios.
Old 04 April 2003, 02:25 PM
TimboMY03
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks guys for all your suggestions...

...I'll probably spend the next month on the phone having exciting conversations with your 'A' typical call center people in insurance... Woah hoo!

TimboMY03
Old 04 April 2003, 05:54 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Wink

How old are you and is the Golf an 8v or 16v?

simb
Old 05 April 2003, 09:03 PM
obi
Scooby Regular

I've been through this having owned a number of cars, all at the same time. The problem, as first explained to me by my then insurer is that if you hold insurance with more than one company and then have an accident you are unlikely to report that accident to all your insurers thus losing NCB on all policies...human nature being what it is! The solution which has worked for me with three different companies has been to use the same company for all your cars and ask them to link your policies so anything reported concerning one vehicle is noted in your other policies.
Old 07 April 2003, 09:18 AM
TimboMY03
Scooby Regular

Simb 2

I'm 31 and the GTI is an 8V.

Tim
Old 08 April 2003, 06:15 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!
Tim

I might be able to get you a decent quote on your Golf, as long as it has Cat 2 security, you have had no fault or non-fault claims in the past 5 years and it's not modded.

If you're still looking for a quote call me on 01291 625263, no promises but I will try.

simon