Notices
Insurance Subaru Impreza insurance can be expensive, as with any performance car insurance. But the cheapest car insurance isn't always the best. Share your quotes, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for our insurance experts

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2002, 10:03 PM
simmy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What happens in the event of a claim if the insurers find out that your car is modded and you haven’t told them, would they refuse to pay out anything, or would they pay out all the third party costs (if it was your fault) but not pay costs to fix your car, and could they try to prosecute you for misinformation to recover costs.

And yes I have declared all of my mods to my insurer, but I know someone who hasn’t and I was just interested.

SS
Old 11 June 2002, 11:14 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

They could void the policy on the grounds of non-disclosure and not pay anything.

G
Old 13 June 2002, 12:09 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

I know that 'technically' they have the right to void but do they?

For instance, if you have a body kit fitted and someone runs into the side of you. You could argue that the damage would have been inflicted body kit or not and they could argue that the cost of repair is higher. In this instance I would expect they would fork out based on the cost to fix a standard car.. Any extra and you have to cough for it..

I think this is where it is of benefit to deal with reputable companies as they don't seem to try and ditch all their responsibilities as soon as **** happens...

Similar thing happened to a friend. His car had an uprated engine and brakes fitted when he bought it.. The V5, car badging and receipt all had the lower engine size noted.. He put the car into a field and wrote it of but the insurance assessor spotted the mods.. They said no payout.. He claimed ignorance and provided the documentation... They worked out that he was paying 85% of the premium he would have been charged and hence paid out 85% of the claim... Seemed fair...

Is this common?

Old 13 June 2002, 04:05 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

I know someone with an old Ford Fiesta who did the same 'scam' when I was in college. He bought it 2nd hand and was made aware of the bigger engine and sports exhausht, but declared it as standard. When the insurance company came out after a crash he claimed ignorance and said he wasn't aware it had been modified. I think they took the difference between his current premium and what it should have been off of the payout for damages.
Old 13 June 2002, 04:22 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Lots of cases like this hit the insurance ombudsmen, because people dont declare stuff then try to wiggle their way out of it - claiming they didnt know, or it wasnt specific in the policy. Fine.

Basically you are a fool if you dont declare stuff, if your insurers say no - you are looking at a battle of something like 6-12 months(using ombudsmen) to fight your case - if you really think/and they think its legit. However, you may not win even if you bring ombudsmen in - they are there to make a fair verdict for either party. So you could easily not win, then you are stuffed. Is it worth it, few hundred quid on your policy or a 20k car that is now worth only scrap value.

Old 18 June 2002, 03:18 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Question

If they declare your insurance void does that mean you have driven without insurance which then means major trouble with the police?!
Old 18 June 2002, 03:42 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

not really 'major' trouble with the police... local rag last Friday 150 fine and six points... Cheaper than insurance which is why so many ppl risk it! I'm not one of them BTW...
Old 18 June 2002, 04:18 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unfortunately your right Alpine!