ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Newbie ICE question - help please

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2002, 02:26 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

OK, I'm looking to upgrade my current system, but it's a minefield when it comes to choosing what kit to buy.

I've an Alpine 1505R Head Unit and Alpine CHA-1212 CD Changer at the moment. What I'm after is very good sound quality and not just the loudest system on the planet.

My thoughts are too upgrade the front speakers as top priority, but don't know if I should (or need) and Amp to drive them. The spec of my HU is 4x55w (if that's any clearer to you guys).

I listen to some Dance music, but most of it is stuff like The Hives, Doves, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club or if I'm in Primary school disco mode, 80's pop music

I was told that the Impreza can be a bit "bright" and that I should look at some "laid-back" speakers. Two ICE installers have recommended avoiding the good old Infinity 605cs's.

What speakers would people recommend and (if needed) which Amps should I consider to compliment my current Alpine stuff. I also quiet fancy a new hard disk-based MP3 player, so don't know if this will dictate going for an Amp.

I'll try to get to another ICE place tomorrow, but any help you could give will prepare me for any more questions for the installers tomorrow.

Thanks,
Stefan
Old 28 May 2002, 12:11 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

34 views an no opinions
Old 28 May 2002, 12:35 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hello Ozzy,

I'll answer the questions in the order you asked them.

Is the 1505r one of Alpines commanders? I think it is.

I'd certainly use external amplification to power the front speakers, because it will give a much better sound.

The Impreza itself isn't bright unless the main beams are on The equipment used, the fitting locations, the cars acoustics ie, the internal size of the vehicle, the materials used to make the seats, dash, trims and even the carpets, are what makes an audio system sound the way it does.

I reckon the reason most mid and tweet component systems sound quite bright is because alot are primarily designed/made for the American market. The yanks do like their treble.

Don't let this worry you because there are things you can do to sort those bright sounding tweeters out. You could try using different passive x-overs to the ones supplied in the component system kit(I've done this to very good effect). You could also try using an active x-over rather than the supplied passive items. Have a look at the Kenwood KEC-202. This is a very good piece of kit because it gives full control over your component system and a dedicated mono-sub-out. The only downside is you'll need a four channel amp which will cost you a few extra quid. You could also consider the Kenwood KGC-6042A graphic equaliser to give you more control. Don't think of this as a gimmick (I find a lot of people seem to for some reason), because this could help you achieve the sound you want.

There are quite alot of headunits out there now that will play discs with MP3 files burned on to them. I've heard quite a few of them now and found the sound quality to be rather poor, but that's to be expected considering the huge compression.

I like the nice warm, satisfying sound of Alpine amps. For speakers I would go for Alpine, Infinity or if you can afford it, Dynaudio. Go for a set that have SOFT DOME TWEETERS. This is because they tend not to be as bright as titanium dome or other tweeters. Speakers are the weakest link in any system so don't skimp on them. The best advice I can give you is to visit as many dealers as possible and make sure to take some of your own discs to listen too. It never ceases to amaze me that the majority of my customers do not bring any of their own music with them when they come for a demonstration on audio equipment. Listening in a shop is nothing like listening in a car, but at least it will give you something to compare with. You wouldn't buy a car without test-driving it, so don't buy any audio without listening to it first.

Lastly, if the installation is poor, the sound will be poor no matter how much you spend on the equipment.

Hope this helps.

AGM

Old 28 May 2002, 12:36 AM
audio g man
Scooby Regular

Smile

Theres one for you.
Old 28 May 2002, 12:42 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Smile

Many thanks AGM.

When I'be bought all my Home Hi-Fi kit, I always sat in the demo rooms for a few hours listening to different setups with my own music. But like you say, it'll sound completely different once it's in the car.

I gues at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what make you get as long as it's the sound you're after.

I'm going along to another installer tomorrow afternoon or a nosey around.

Thanks for your advice,
Stefan
Old 28 May 2002, 08:47 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The impreza can be made less bright by switching off the bright button on the dash . The angle of the screen does mean that you can get reflections, but this happens in any car plus with careful positioning of the tweeters it can be avoided. I wouldn't ever recommend bouncing tweeters off windscreens anyhow...

The Infinities are quite bright. However, you can attenuate the tweeter which gets rid of this and I still think it's difficult to get better for the money.

I'm running CD Technologies HD62s which I like. They're neutral bordering on laid back. However, about the best I have heard in-car was a set of Focals - tempted to upgrade myself...

I personally have been disappointed by Alpine speakers, but I think that's down to a place in sheffield insulting my intelligence by telling me if I didn't buy the high-end kit and went for something else then I was stupid. Their demo car had them in, and they were IMHO completely without any presence whatsoever. Could have been down to how they were installed though. This was 5 years ago, so I should probably update my opinions

Have a listen, preferably in a car, and find what you like.

Regarding MP3, the g man has hit the nail on the head. You don't need a separate unit. However, 12Lee off the board has recently set up http://www.in-carmp3.com which has interesting stuff on it that adds on to your aux input and, soon, your cd-changer input

Hope this helps. It's another opinion

Old 28 May 2002, 08:49 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

And, just to hammer it home, do exactly what is suggested above by AGM.

Learn how to listen at home to music you like that's well recorded
Take it to a shop / installer / car...
Listen.

Decide what you like

see the faq too
Old 28 May 2002, 10:02 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Chiark.

I should have known better than to mention the "bright" word. Left me well open to some pi$$ taking

The MP3 player 12Lee is distributing is the one I've been looking at. You can fit your own size of hard disk and it going to support changer control too - which is nice

Stefan