ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

6x9s in front door cards

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2013, 07:27 PM
kingdom200
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6x9s in front door cards

Hey guys, may sound like a stupid idea but i have a nice set of 6x9s in my garage that i may as well use, i am aware there is loads of clearance behind the door card its just the hole in the door that's the issue, i plan on making an adapter/spacer to fit the 6x9s........

do you think it will work? i no 6.5" speakers would probably be ideal but while i have these lying around why not there going to sound 1 million times better than the standard crap they come with.... i plan to use the existing wires and run it off the amp built into my alpine head unit until i finally fit my sub :-D

so has this been done before or am i acting a fool lol

cheer in advance

Dom
Old 25 February 2013, 09:01 PM
scoobersam
Scooby Regular

i have just changed mine to 5.25's with 6.25 adapters let me know how it goes if you attempt it wouldnt mind doing that.
Old 25 February 2013, 09:31 PM
kingdom200
Scooby Regular

did they make yours sound much better?..... i got the 6x9s out the garage and they are REALY deep looking at them again if have to fit like a 1" spacer haha and i doubt the door card will fit back on then :-( i think i read that there is only 2" to play with through the hole on the door
Old 26 February 2013, 01:35 AM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It will be a right pain in the **** to get the right adapters for 6*9's , A lot of work to be honest. Adapters for 6*9 fitment for the front's probable dont exist. If i was you go for 6 1/2 inch front speakers (vibe,kenwood,apline,fli etc) and put the ones you found in the rear parcel shelf. (5 mins to cut out if measured up properly )

I fitted some vibe black air 6" components to the front, With all new oxygen free speaker wire, Uprated to some vibe space 6*9's in the rear parcel shelf. Work's perfectly fine, Really good clear sound. All run by a Alpine head unit.

Next step is a 4/3/2/1 channel vibe space amp. and 5.25 rear door speakers. Dont need a sub, to much weight and i need a boot:P

I work as a audio fitter so i have some idea of what to do:P.

But if you want to go ahead with it. Will need 4 new holes drilled, widened speaker hole, possible rattling off the door card.
Old 26 February 2013, 11:09 AM
kingdom200
Scooby Regular

I ended up buying 5.25" vibe slick component speakers and some spacers I plan to use existing wires and though? I then have a 2 channel amp that I'm going to wire my sub too so would I be able to chuck the 6x9 in the rear shelf and either bin the rear speakers and put the wires or them or could I take the amp and run two words from one port? So the left speaker cable has two wires to the amp and then one splits off to each speaker would this work? Or best to do option one and replace with the rear speakers?
Old 26 February 2013, 08:15 PM
scoobersam
Scooby Regular

i have uprated my rear ones on the shelf to jbl 6x9 with new thicker cable running through and the same in the front got jbl door speakers with tweeters made such a difference in sound running it all though on thicker cables direct into my jvc unit.
Old 26 February 2013, 08:29 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Bin the 6x9's and just get some decent 17cm components.

The 6x9's will be a ball ache to fit as there isn't enough space there without making some big adaptors and modifying the door card with fibreglass.

Trending Topics

Old 26 February 2013, 09:58 PM
kingdom200
Scooby Regular

as said i ordered some vibe slicks in 5.25" and an adaptor spacer i have decided to use original wires to the headunit and i also have a 2 channel loudest.com 3000w amp that i usually use for my sub but i was going to make spacers and fit the 6x9s under the parcel shelf and run them off the amp :-D i sort of know what i want to do but i don't know how to fit them so i'm going have to do a bit more research