ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speakers problem?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 03:26 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive posted this on the general tech as well, cos Im lost... :|

Simple problem, hopefully simple answer - the stereo in my MY96 (clarion single CD) works for a few minutes then there is a short burst of static, less than half a sec, and all the speakers go off. I have had the thing out and waggled the block connector, but to no avail. The CD keeps playing, and it makes no difference if its the radio or the CD, it still goes silent. Sometimes it "just comes back on" for a bit...
I took the unit out and took it to be checked and it was OK on the bench,and the bloke said I must have a short in my speakers.
So question is - how do I find out? How on earth do i test the speakers without becoming a qualified sparky and buying all sorts of tester devices and a tri-corder... ? Can I do it without pulling the car to bits or paying out huge sums to have it done by someone else ?

I need to check the speakers properly to find if its an intermittent fault with my CD, so I at least know what to replace. Hope you lot of boffins can help me out. Cheers

Buzz
Old 13 May 2002, 04:04 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Buzz,

My guess would be one of two things:
- buggered speaker showing a short
- knackered amp section in the cd changer.

You need a multimeter. Maplins have 'em on offer at the moment where you can buy two for a fiver (buy one, get one free).

Take the stereo out.

Use an ISO reference guide to find the speaker pairs. Check that you've got around 4 ohms across each pair. If you haven't, that's the problem and you need to find where the short is, or replace the knackered speaker.

If all's hunky dory, you're really down to needing someone to fix your head unit. This ain't simply a fuse, otherwise it wouldn't work at all. It may be cheapest to use this as an excuse to upgrade?

Nick.
Old 14 May 2002, 10:14 AM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Nick thats brill - thanx

Maplins here I come - I've got the pin diagram from clarion, so I know which wires go where, I just didnt have a clue what I was supposed to do with them.

And Im not gonna have it fixed if its broken, 'cos its got a scratch on the screen anyway thats always annoyed me, and its about time I had a 6 CD changer I reckon..or maybe a 10....or 12...