Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Which double din for less than £300?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2011, 07:39 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which double din for less than £300?

Looking to replace the standard unit in my blobeye with a double din head unit. At the moment, I am considering the Pioneer AVH-2300DVD or AVH-3300BT. Any others worth considering below £300?
Old 30 August 2011, 06:06 PM
justy75
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wilbo
Looking to replace the standard unit in my blobeye with a double din head unit. At the moment, I am considering the Pioneer AVH-2300DVD or AVH-3300BT. Any others worth considering below £300?

I recently looked at both units and thought that they both were pretty sweet. Good sound quality and a nice design. The only reason that I went for neither of those was because of the front facing usb, which seems pretty common amongst a lot of the aftermarket manufacturers at the moment.
I didnt want want my ipod having to be plugged in to the front, I preferred the idea of it being connected at the rear and running the cabling in to the glovebox. The JVC KW-XR811 has front and rear usb and 2 x 30,000 colour display, so you will definately be able to get a dashboard colour match if thats important to you. Also there are some good deals on this unit on the web. I eventually went for the Alpine CDE W203Ri, great Alpine sound quality at a bargain price. Easy to use with decent functionality.
Old 30 August 2011, 08:10 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by justy75
I recently looked at both units and thought that they both were pretty sweet. Good sound quality and a nice design. The only reason that I went for neither of those was because of the front facing usb, which seems pretty common amongst a lot of the aftermarket manufacturers at the moment.
I didnt want want my ipod having to be plugged in to the front, I preferred the idea of it being connected at the rear and running the cabling in to the glovebox. The JVC KW-XR811 has front and rear usb and 2 x 30,000 colour display, so you will definately be able to get a dashboard colour match if thats important to you. Also there are some good deals on this unit on the web. I eventually went for the Alpine CDE W203Ri, great Alpine sound quality at a bargain price. Easy to use with decent functionality.
I had a JVC KD-R901 in my last car and it seemed to freeze all the time when listening to my Ipod through the rear USB, so I was going to stay away from them. Had also considered the Alpine CDE-W203Ri as it looks a top quality unit, do you have any pics of it installed?
Old 30 August 2011, 09:01 PM
justy75
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wilbo
I had a JVC KD-R901 in my last car and it seemed to freeze all the time when listening to my Ipod through the rear USB, so I was going to stay away from them. Had also considered the Alpine CDE-W203Ri as it looks a top quality unit, do you have any pics of it installed?

Yeah I know what its like when you have a bad experience with a brand, sort of puts you off big time! I suppose that the opposite, is the reason that I always seem to end up with Alpine as I have never had a problem with over nearly 20 years.

Mine is installed on a 59 STi and has to have a fascia adapter as the standard 6 disc unit is slightly bigger than a double din. I still looks ok though. I havent got any pics but will try to take some pics and upload them - the unit looks great when its powered up.

Just tried uploading an image and it doesnt seem that I am privalleged enough!

If you want to pm me I can always email you a pic.

Last edited by justy75; 03 September 2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Trying to add image
Old 03 September 2011, 01:56 AM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

Ive got the pioneer avh 3200dvd which someone on here currently has for sale on here as I dont think they sell them anymore model is now avh 3300. I don't use bluetooth so for me its perfect , I have iphone but I dont use the USB connector I think you have to buy the expensive pioneer iphone cable to get it to work properly.

Ive just stuck an 8GB SD CARD in the front and filled that up with music then you have nothing sticking out of the front of your stereo , The controls on the stereo are fine and it fits snugly into the double din socket without the facia. paid £280 for mine about a year ago the avh3300 its replacement its just under £300.

Don't forget to buy your ISO connector.

Last edited by topman2180; 03 September 2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 03 September 2011, 03:09 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Does a double din fit directly into a blob eye then? Sorry its a bit off topic OP! ive been looking at a few of the above mentioned units, but wasnt sure about adapters etc.
Old 03 September 2011, 04:11 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

The pioneers fit spot on you just dont need the bezel that comes in the box. AVH3200DVD

you need something similar to this as well not 100% sure its the right one, it allows you to connect aftermarket head units to the factory leads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/adaptor-SU...item20ad70d50f
Old 03 September 2011, 04:17 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

legend! thanks for that, it looks very smart and just what im after!