Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Cheap alternative to sound deadening.

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2002, 05:44 PM
Dougster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neighbour has just had new laminate put down and is chucking old carpet and underlay in the skip.

Can this plastic backed one side with 3mm green rubber ripples on other, be used as deadening?

There is loads of it and very clean and flexible.
Old 22 April 2002, 07:19 PM
Luke
BANNED

Great stuff. Have 2 layers under carpets ," layers under rear seat. and another 2 layers in boot. Yes there is a difference, But do use S/d Stuff on the doors, this is very good to help noise etc.
Old 22 April 2002, 08:50 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I'm using a "two pronged attack" on noise. Carpet underlay is great for cutting out airbourne noise IMHO, so I've got a layer in the boot to deaden scoobysport's finest

For really cutting down noise transmission in the first place, you cannot beat adhesive sound deadening. I've tried Dynamat, dynamat super, scosche accumat and Steve the Soundman's Barrier Mat. Barrier mat seems about the best from a workability point of view as, being honest, I can't tell much difference between the quality of damping but I have no clue as to how to approach testing objectively.

Old 22 April 2002, 11:33 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Dougster,

I fitted two layers of 5mm underlay to the boot and rear seat of my car. It's worth trying given it's going FOC.

I managed to get enough to do my whole car from a local carpet fitters. They said I could have as much as I could lift out the store for a small donation to charity ;-)

It's pretty heavy stuff, probably about 20kg for a 6'x30' roll and more like very heavy lino. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as proper sound proofing material especially if you want to get better acoustics, but it's a cheap effective substitute.

I really want to stop the road noise coming through into the cabin as I can't honestly hear my STI backbox

As long as it doesn't drown out the nice turbo whistle I'm getting after fitting the PPP.

Stefan
Old 23 April 2002, 06:58 PM
steve the sound man
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hi Guys

Yes it is OK to use cheap felt but beware if it gets wet then it will smell and its like blotting paper as it never dries out

I did a boot kit for Scooby guy last week it consisted of
self adhesive Barrier mat piece for under the spare wheel, 8 Barrier Mat pads 10" x 6" to be used on the inner wings and spare wheel walls, Rear wheel arches in Barrier mat cut to shape and a large NoiseKiller spacelayer non adhesive pad for under the carpet again cut to shape

Special delivered price to mainland U.K of £65 including VAT

RING 0161 643 8070 To order or for advice