ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Definitive Answer on Speaker Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2002, 09:24 PM
green_dragon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Please can someone tell me what the front speaker size is on a 95MY UK car, please? I see that Infinity 605CS's are a popular choice at 6.5" but have also seen ads for 5.25" speakers described as standard fit size. I suppose that depth is an issue here too, what components will drop straight in?

Cheers
Old 17 April 2002, 09:39 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Standard fit size (as in will always fit) is 6".
Some 5.25" will, and some 6.5" as well, but this is not what the hole is designed for.
This is both front & rear.
Old 17 April 2002, 10:28 PM
twinny
Scooby Regular

Just replaced my front speakers today. The woofer is 6,5" and the tweeter is 1" .. The woofer was a direct fit, used original frame and everything (I had to cut a little bit away from the back of the frame, I have pictures if you want). I didn't need to use spacers or anything. As you can see I glued the crossover beside the woofer (is this bad?) and glued the tweeter up by the door-handle. I didn't have the original tweeter mounts but no problem at all. The wiring isn't complete because it started to rain and I had to pack up but you'll get the point anyway. Here are some pics:

This kit is called Sony XS-HF78 and includes a pair of woofers, tweeters and crossovers.

All I need now is some soundproofing, because the plastic is vibrating a bit when playing loud. I figure I can make small holes in the plastic and push in some glue perhaps. If anyone has any tips, please advice..
Old 18 April 2002, 09:43 PM
green_dragon
Scooby Regular

Smile

OK then, does anyone out there know if Alpine 5.25" components will fit straight in? (SXE-1350)

Nice looking install so far twinny, where did you get your sony spkrs from and for how much?

Cheers
Old 18 April 2002, 09:46 PM
green_dragon
Scooby Regular

Smile

OK then, does anyone out there know if Alpine 5.25" components will fit straight in? (SXE-1350)

Nice looking install so far twinny, where did you get your sony spkrs from and for how much?

Cheers
Old 18 April 2002, 10:44 PM
twinny
Scooby Regular

I bought them from a store here in Denmark called "Elgiganten".. Cost me DKK 1800 which is about £145 or so.. Doesn't help you I guess.. I'm very pleased with the install so far. I'm getting the amp this weekend and have already put the cables down.. The complete setup will be XS-HF78 component speakers in the front with two crossovers. Two 6x9 XS-V6932 in the rear and a 4-channel XM-754SX amp in the trunk. I might add a second amp and a sub in the future but I'll have to hear the results first. I'm not looking to win any competitions or anything, but I want nice sound in my car, and at the same time I can do my very first ICE-install ;-)
Old 19 April 2002, 06:13 PM
Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

A few suggestions:

Firstly, good places for Car Audio on the 'net:
www.caraudiodirect.com
www.edworthys.co.uk/productsstart.htm

Secondly, about getting rid of the plastic rattle. I found the best thing by far is that foam stuff you get in some parcels, particularly for electronic components etc. (Not the little Wotsit-type things.) It's flat with lots of nobbly bits sticking out in a wavy pattern. I've stuck a few pieces of that to the plastic in the door (with Gaffer/Duck tape for easy removal ) and the difference is huge - not only do I now not get rattles, but it's dampened off resonance within the door frame itself and made everything sound much more solid.

Thirdly - I wouldn't place the tweeter behind the little grill by the door handle if you can help it. You'll get much better sound quality mounting it on the black plastic bit in the corner of the door (where the mirror is on the outside).

Fourthly - if you don't have people in the back much, remove the rear speakers when you fit a sub in the boot. It helps the sound escape and makes it less boomy.

Finally, I've found that even with my Xtant components (150W RMS in theory), they run out of speaker travel reasonably quickly because you have to boost the bass so much to cover the engine and tyre noise. I now use a high-pass filter for them to protect them from the worst of the bass, and use a Rockford Fosgate Power DVC sub in the boot to do all the hard work. A Rockford Fosgate Power 400a4 delivers the goods to front speakers and the sub (sub is bridged across the other two channels).

All IMHO but based on the last 4 years of tweaking.

Cheers
Richard

ps Oh and they're 6.5" up front with a 0.5" adapter made out of MDF

[Edited by Bitten Hero - 4/19/2002 6:13:45 PM]
Old 19 April 2002, 08:01 PM
twinny
Scooby Regular

Thank you for all the tips! I'll try to find some of that stuffing somewhere and put it in the doors.. As far as tweeker placement goes, I'm sure you right, it's just that I didn't want to mess up the interior as I'm extremely novice in the ICE-game ;-) So I figured I'd better place it where I could mess a little and noone would see it..

I laid down the RCA, power and remote-control cables today. I placed the RCA cables on the left side and power/rc in the middle. Hopefully that will eliminate any interference.. But I won't get to try it out because I don't have the amp yet ;-( Thinking of placing the speaker cables in the right side of the car tomorrow and by the beginning of next week I have the amp..

I'm looking forward to hear the complete setup!