ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

MY97 to P1 speaker hell - HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2002, 03:06 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

To start off in what is my speaker nightmare I used to own a MY97 and upgraded all 4 speakers to 16cm Pioneer jobbies.

This was easy as the oringal subaru speakers screwed out of there standard mounts and the new ones screwed back in there place.

3 months later and I've sold the MY97 and gone to put the same 16cm Pioneer jobbies into my new P1.

I thought this would be easy as it's the same car right? Wrong! The speaker mounts are now an integral part to the standard speakers! Not just the doors but the rear shelf aswell!

What I need is either:

a) Someone to point me towards some all round mounts for a P1?
b) Someone to buy my 4 speakers
c) What fits in a P1 without cutting or drilling holes without MDF?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp?

Mike
Old 17 April 2002, 09:33 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Anybody ???
Old 17 April 2002, 12:09 PM
Littleman
Scooby Regular

Hey, Mickle, welcome to the club of 'I gotta P1 and finding it bloody difficult to get any advice on speakers'. No, seriously it's not that bad and here's what I know.
The standard speaker has a fibre plastic frame that forms the mounting for itself. The only way I have heard of gettint round this is to cut the old cone and magnet out of the mounting whilst leaving the splash guard to protect your Pioneers. The spalshguard does unscrew and lever out (it is glued done with mastic, sh*t and blanket come to mind) leaving you able to attack the mounting/speaker. You can then hopefully driil holes for and mount your new speakers but watch the window on the magnet. It's best to do this with the window down.
I have posted here before but very little is known about the P1 choices for fitting and am considering making a mount for 6.5" out of filler/MDF.
Hope this helps a little it's not much I know but i haven't heard any other way yet.

Ben

actually I have. Try getting the mounts you had in your old car from a dealer, apparently they will fit in the P1. Don't take my word for it though!
Old 18 April 2002, 10:34 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks Littleman,

I think making mounts is a very good idea, think of the money we'd make selling them!

I've got a service tomorrow so I'll ask the dealer if I can get hold of the plates with holes in, from what I've seen they are the same shape as the MY97's. Let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Mike