ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

head unit replacement

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2011, 02:38 PM
wagon76
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head unit replacement

hi all. a couple of minor finishing items to help me with my Alpine head unit install. It's in and sounds great (mechless ipod unit) but I cannot find an understandable method to get the radio aerial going. What I presume is the hardwired aerial connector in the car has a long single pin to it. There's also what looks like an earth which I've plugged back on to the side bracket.
The Head Unit has a radio terminal but the hole is too thin to receive the pin. Is there an adaptor or do I need to do something with the loom?
Also the lovely DIN pocket below doesn't have the corresponding mounting holes for the lugs so I need to drill the side brackets. If anyone's just used a LOT of carpet tape or number plate pads to fix their pocket in place it would be good to hear - I'm worried about getting the holes in exactly the right place to the sprung door on the pocket finishes flush... I have very basic knowledge guys so make it simple; did front components last week and all new ground for me! Many thanks
Old 28 January 2011, 03:16 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi, in order. Sounds like you might need an aerial adaptor to plug it into the head unit.
Check out my tread on connecting up the headunit to the power amp for the aerial or you'll have crap radio reception. I did a full guide with pics earlier this week.

Drilling the holes for the pocket is easy. Padding it to fit probably wouldn't work. If you look at the pocket under the sprung door it has a black area with a raised lip on it. That locates with the facia to line it up correctly. I did mine in under 20 minutes and measured it up using a leatherman!
Just remember.... measure twice, drill once. Centre punch the holes to stop the drill wandering and honestly it isn't a problem.
Old 28 January 2011, 03:47 PM
wagon76
Scooby Newbie

cheers. you're right - i think i just needed a kick up the backside. will drill the brackets tonight.
in case anyone's interested it's the Alpine IDA-X311, mechless. Looks good as the central control wheel kind of tenuously matches up with the central C/C **** below.
Looks very good in the flesh, and nice and cheap too.
Currently 10% off online at Online Car Audio..
Old 28 January 2011, 06:12 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Thats the spirit......

Honestly it's easy. I had no vice, just drilled it over a tupperware bowl and filed off any burrs.
The paperwork said 5mm drill and it is a nice tight fit it hold it well.
Old 31 January 2011, 09:36 AM
wagon76
Scooby Newbie

all worked just fine - got the autoleads aerial adaptor too, and reception seems totally fine. all i will say is that the DIN pocket fitting instructions from scoobyparts were slightly misleading in that they appear to refer to a different bracket; probably the blob or bug one. it's obvious what you need to do when you see it though - and a decent drill bit is more than capable. so now it all works spot on and looks the business. problem now? next mod. decisions, decisions. something non cosmetic i think. the car's had about as much as it needs exterior-wise.