ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Balance

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2001, 07:54 PM
Stu_ee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This may sound like a stupid question but its starting to annoy me now. I have a standard setup (phillips head unit etc etc) in my scooby (UK) which doesn't sound great but for the min it'll have to do. The problem is when i push the balance all the way to the left, then right, the right side isn't no where near as loud as the left. Could this be a wiring prob??
Old 09 October 2001, 08:30 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

It could be a wiring problem, but in my (limited) experience of this sort of thing, it's more likely to be a problem with your head unit.

The potentiometers that control balance could be old and have aged at not quite the same rate. As long as your central position gives you a sound stage, don't worry about it...

Of course, if it's a brand new unit, there's something else wrong - potentially.

Old 11 October 2001, 08:20 PM
LeonWells
Scooby Regular

Talking

That is so wierd, I have a Sony Mini Disc Head unit connected to a 10 Disc CD, and I also have that same problem, it seems way louder when balance is all the way over to one side than the other... just in the process of Fitting some nice Focal 165KX's so il let you know if problem goes away.

I think its prob wiring, im replacing all the speaker wiring so I will eliminate it

Leon
Old 13 October 2001, 12:30 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by LeonWells:
<B>it seems way louder when balance is all the way over to one side than the other...[/quote]

If this happens when you balance it all the way left AND right then its probably a problem with cancellation.

Reverse the connections to one of the speakers (if you have components, start with one mid, then the tweeter) and see if that helps.

Just because the speakers have +/- on the terminals, doesn't mean to say they'll sound best when connected like that in the car!!