Notices
ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Replacement Audio for V7Sti / WRX Double Din

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2002, 11:04 PM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first thing I'll want to do when my Sti Arrives is replace the crappy looking stereo.... though I'm not into spending £0000000 on a stereo...rather sped it on the PPP

I have done a bit of research and a possible option seems to be from Kenwood. They offer 'slave' units that join up to a standard unit and fill in the second 'din' slot.

...options seem to be to have a single CD, then add a slave Mini disc changer (3 disc) above (total cost of two around £400) or a single mini disk with single slave CD (total cost around £300). The slave units also feature a graphic equaliser...look quite cool. Found them on www.justkenwood.co.uk - worth a look maybe?

Has anyone any other suggestions for double din install, bearing in mind I have no interest in either spending £zillions or in tape players. Also will it be as easy as just removing the double din unit and installing two single din units....or will further kits be needed?

As always, all comments appreciated

Thanks Mark
Old 09 April 2002, 11:07 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Remove double Din,, put in single din and a cubby hole thingy that is std in the GLX costs about 12quid.

Changing speakers will probably give better VFM in sound improvement.

Andy
Old 10 April 2002, 12:20 AM
U2Slow
Scooby Regular

Hello Mark,

Same problem as me! Also, did you go for the stereo upgrade? If not you wont be getting the unit featured in the marketing bumpth. Instead you'll have a simple looking CD/Tape double din unit - which I must admit doesn't sound that bad! It aint staying though!!!

I was thinking of going for the slave option, but cant seem to find any information on how to fit two single din units into the double din space.

The dream option would be to fit a touch screen monitor into the space and link that to a computer under the passenger seat. I know, you are probably saying to yourself you wanted a cheap option and this would be over the top! - But just imagine what you would have to shell out for multiple units that offer Radio, CD, DVD, MP3, TV, Sat Nav, and Speed trap alert (GPS). I computer can offer all the above and more.

Back to the real world though! I would go for a MD head unit with Disk changer. And a set of 3 dials in the remaining space - Just need a kit to fit it!

Keep us posted with what you do.

Matt

Old 11 April 2002, 09:20 AM
Hooley
Scooby Regular

CHANGE THE SPEAKERS FIRST !!!

When you take them out you will understand why they sound so crap.

With regards the stereo change you can get a standard 2001 panasonic Minidisc unit (if you really want MD) linked to an 8-stack CD-changer for about £330 at the moment - double bonus is that the facia is silver, just the same shade as the silver on the dash.

Stick the MD-unit in the dash, the 8-stacker under the passenger seat and replace the front speakers with Infinity 605cs (or similar) and the rears with a 13cm full range speaker in the doors or hack into the parcel shelf for something larger (worth doing if you are not going for a sub)

Hope this helps
Hooley