ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Permanent power

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 1999, 09:12 PM
Mark Green
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am going to fit my Pioneer head unit into my MY99 Turbo (well in the dashboard actually not the turbo) but I need a permanent +12V for the memory and preferably to have the stereo on when the key is out. Where can I pick this up from or am I better off coming from the battery with one of those fused terminal jobbies.

Plus does anyone have experience of where to fit a CD changer. I would like to fit it in the glove box but this will mean removing the brackets which hold the manual (not keen on this). Any ideas?

Mark
Old 18 September 1999, 12:40 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Firefox..yes true but the standard wiring may not be up to the job to supply a good aftermarket head unit. Best off wiring straight to the battery.
Old 18 September 1999, 09:19 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

So thats what those brackets were for ! Cheers..now I know why I cut them away !

On my head unit the "permanent feed" is also the one where the unit gets its main power from..the "switched feed" is just a simple low-current line.
So for me I used separate cabling straight to the battery to minimise volt drop.

Possible use for the bright button - wire it to your stereo's dim facility (if it has one)..when you put the lights on it will dim but can be overidden with the bright button.

My cd is in the glove box, but yes cutting was necessary although I would say it hasnt affected resale value at all !
(obi-wan voice on)Use the boot luke..
Old 18 September 1999, 11:22 AM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi there,

The standard plugs have perm and switched feed in them.... Your head unit might need an adapter loom, if not just plug the "DIN" plugs into the radio.

J.

ps - Dealer fit option of the changer is in the boot underneath the "backshelf" (for a four door).

[This message has been edited by firefox (edited 18-09-1999).]
Old 18 September 1999, 05:05 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Fitted my cd-changer in the glovebox no probs (see my thread from Nov/Dec last year). Required some cutting, but it's easy enough to buy the relevant part to replace it if I ever sell the car.

Stef.
Old 18 September 1999, 05:24 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

I have just fitted a pioneer DEH P600R headunit. It comes with a nice loom that connects to the cars standard DIN connections. It was really simple to use.
Old 18 September 1999, 07:40 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Wink

The ignition lead in supplies minimal power because that is what the head unit requires, in fact most pioneer headunits have a 1000ohm diode in line to reduce the current of the ignition feed. It will therefore be more than adequate to run the ignition feed of the head unit from the same wire as the permanent feed.
Old 18 September 1999, 09:34 PM
Saj
Scooby Regular

I have put the autochanger under the drivers seat actually mounted to the seat.

Saj
S3 WRC
Old 20 September 1999, 10:50 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

andys

when ordering your head unit, did you state that the unit would be fitted in a Scoob, so thet they supplied a seperate connector lead?

robski
Old 21 September 1999, 12:28 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

I connected the head unit to the standard DIN plugs.

CD autochanger is hung under the parcel shelf (4 dr), makes it easy to access, without blocking off load space.

Thinking of getting an amp / sub, any sugestions on how to mount it? Im thinking of a box on the drivers side of the boot.
Old 21 September 1999, 01:05 PM
drew
Scooby Regular

Robski,

I have just went in a brought the pioneer headset from Halfords. It is just standard with no special leads. The unit came with a wiring loom that connects at one end to the standard DIN connectors in the car. The other end plugs into the back of the unit. There is the option of connecting the power supply within the loom. All this really involves in practice in just connecting he two leads of the same colour together.
The only other problem is the the Loom itself is quite large and it takes a bit of careful
packing to fit it all in behind the unit.

I hope this helps

Andys (Drew) I have two accounts!!

[This message has been edited by drew (edited 21-09-1999).]