ICE Serious sounds for serious cars.

Speaker Upgrade........

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2001, 08:11 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All

I've got a my00 wagon with an aftermarket Panasonic head unit and the standard speakers with the additional OE tweeter kit.

I'm having a new hands-free kit fitted soon, so want some advice on gains to be had from changing speakers as well (be rude not to?! ).

What gains will I see (ie; how sh*t are the OE units)?
Should I swap the tweeters too?
Should I look at a small subwoofer too?
What kit should I buy?
Oh, and I'm only planning to do the fronts (always have the fader full forward) - should I look at the rears too?

I listen to a wide range of music and prefer clarity/space to volume. My wife's A class Merc OE 'standard' sound system sounds better than mine - hence the upgrade

Many Thanks
Richard
Old 10 September 2001, 02:19 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

speakers... how sh*t are the OE units... any more sh*t & I don't think they could be called speakers.
the tweeter kit doesn't actually include tweeters, so it might be a little tricky to change them .
Small subwoofer? Probably. Personal choice, that one, I think, & depends on what speakers you pick for the front.
Fronts only is a good move - backs only help if you want to try artificially adding the 'reflection' that you get in a room. Sounds a bit more natural for a bit more effort.
From your 'clarity/space' thing, you'll probably want to use the space provided by the tweeter kit (so, extra hole in plastic door covering, then) to stick some in - it 'lifts' the sound a bit (just get a component set rather than a coax with extra tweeter, though).
The tricky bit is finding speakers that fit the US/Japan standard small 6" rather than the Euro 165mm.
Go & play!
Old 10 September 2001, 07:25 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks Nom

I've got the Euro spec car - so I can get something up to 165mm then?

And I paid extra for the tweeter kit - it *is* there It's the bottom end that's a bit messy at the mo' - but guess I'll swap the tweeters too.

Can anyone recommend matching speaker units (with tweeters) and a small sub? The Panasonic has an output of 4x45watts - can't remeber the model....cq6500 perhaps...was about £250-280 from memory.

Cheers
Richard
Old 11 September 2001, 09:04 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Well, I think that 165mm is normally too large. I have a pair of 165 fitted, but I had to fiddle with spacers & things to fit them in. You're probably best off sticking to the undersize 6". I think JL Audio do a pair the right size - there's doubtless other manufacturers as well. Look at
Old 11 September 2001, 09:20 AM
babber
Scooby Regular

dowser,

I changed my front speakers for a set of infinity 605CS component speakers from